Author Topic: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century  (Read 4218 times)

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
Gaffy..
Do you have any ideas about Thomas O'Donnell and his parents etc?
I have since researched Bridget Hemmi (one of the ladies who was a credible source for the change of name for Christina O'Donnell) she was in fact born O'Donnell herself by Thomas O'Donnell and Nellie O'Donnell (born Burns) I wonder if this in fact "Byrnes" and thus why she was credible for the name change as perhaps she is a relative of Christinas or one of Michael Byrne and Elizabeth Byrne the witness to Thomas and Ellens Marriage?
Would love your thoughts?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 August 20 18:05 BST (UK) »

Is this the marriage you are referring to?

From https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Marriage Jul-Sep 1923
Bridget O'Donnell to Henry C Hemmi
Hendon    3a  950

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 August 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Yes this is Bridget Hemmi! Thank you!
 I just wondered if her mother; the Nellie O'Donnell born Byrnes was a connection to the Michael and Elizabeth Byrnes filed as witnesses to Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Currans marriage in 1891..?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 August 20 23:12 BST (UK) »

... I have since researched Bridget Hemmi (one of the ladies who was a credible source for the change of name for Christina O'Donnell) she was in fact born O'Donnell herself by Thomas O'Donnell and Nellie O'Donnell (born Burns) I wonder if this in fact "Byrnes" and thus why she was credible for the name change as perhaps she is a relative of Christinas or one of Michael Byrne and Elizabeth Byrne the witness to Thomas and Ellens Marriage? ...

The 1939 England & Wales Register shows a date of birth of 15 September 1904 for Bridget Hemmi, just one day out from the date of 14 September 1904 that Bridget Byrne was registered as born to Thomas Byrne and Ellen Curran and whom I believe was the same child baptised as Brigid O'Donnell on 18 September 1904  for parents Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Curran. That date of birth is quite some coincidence if it isn't her.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 August 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
I think you may have cracked the Bridget Hemmi question Gaffy! It has to be her!
Can you please link

... I recently discovered my Grandfather; John O'Donnell born 1902 in Carrick on Suir ...

Funnily enough, that is the one birth registration that I haven't yet found in Carrick on Suir.

I've found a transcript of what I suspect is a baptism for John, he was baptised in the RC parish of Trinity Without (15 miles SE of Carrick on Suir in Waterford City) on 8 June 1902, parents listed as Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Curran of Philip Street, the sponsors were John Forristal and Margaret Kerins.  I still can't see a civil birth registration, so I'm wondering if Thomas and Ellen were just visiting someone in the city or otherwise there temporarily and the civil birth registration for John got forgotten about in returning home to Carrick on Suir?

I can also see transcripts of baptisms for Patrick (1900) and Bridget (1904), the one for Bridget is important, for it sits well with the civil birth registration for Bridget Byrne (that I posted above at Reply #1) in all but surname.  In the transcript, she was recorded as Brigid O'Donnell, baptised in Carrick on Suir RC parish on 18 September 1904, the address given as Town Wall, parents Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Curran, sponsors James and Eliza Cunningham.

So baptised O'Donnell and registered as Byrne.  Hmmm...

Can you please put the link for Johns Baptism because I can't seem to find it anywhere and the same for Bridget and Patrick that you found please??

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 August 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
To view the transcripts of these baptisms, you need to subscribe to the 'RootsIreland' website (unfortunately, the free to view NLI RC parish registers website doesn't cover the records I've mentioned).

I am still none the wiser as to why Thomas O'Donnell was called Thomas Byrne, when his wife Ellen was registering the later childrens' births.  And I haven't yet found a civil death record for Carrick on Suir Registration District in the period 1920-1922 to corroborate one of their children having been shot dead by the Black and Tans.   

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
Well if it helps the date of death, I have found out is Aug 13th 1922?
I am also searching for the death certificate or something for my Grandfather (John O'Donnell) I have been told now that he died/buried on September 3rd 1975 in Carrick on Suir...
Reckon we could find something on this?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:43 BST (UK) »
Munster Express Sept 12 1975
Late Mr John O'Donnell-
The death took place last week at St Bridget's Hospital Carrick on Suir of Mr John O'Donnell shopkeeper Old Bridge Carrick on Suir. Deceased who was a former employee of Mrssrs Michael Power Ltd. Carrick on Suir also operated the local Sub Postoffice for Carrick Beg. Funeral report will appear in next weeks issue.

I can't find a funeral report in the next weeks issue.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 August 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This is such a fantastic insight! I have tried to find this excerpt myself but have struggled, can you please send me a link?