Author Topic: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century  (Read 1660 times)

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
It's from IrishNewsArchives you need a subscription so sorry no link.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Ah ok, thanks so much anyway!

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Turns out this John O'Donnell is not the right one!
Can't be his death date after all. So this takes me back to tracking him after his time in Egypt in 1922?!
Help  ??? ???

Offline Kimmytantonmohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 August 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya, sorry to hijack your thread but it is highly unlikely that the Eileen Haddon (?) that, with Bridget Hemmi, re-registered Christina Byrne to O'Donnell is the daughter of my nan Christina Beckingham as Eileen's married name was Moran.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody!
Quick update on some more info!
I have just found my Grandfathers (John O'Donnell) Death index for 1980 in Luton, Bedfordshire.
I have also meanwhile found that he was discharged to Warwickshire in July 1922 at the demise of the Royal Munster Fusiliers and next found that he spent a day in Camden St Pancras Workhouse, in on 1st Jan 1923 before being discharged to St Pancras Hospital. On this record it is written that sister Eliza (Beckingham) was his closest next of kin in address.

I have tried to access the St Pancras Hospital admissions detail through London Metropolitan Archives but you have to have a 'History Card' and although free you must collect in person and due to Covid 19 they are currently closed and not answering the phones either to give me the application number to access these records, which I imagine would help a lot in painting the picture of my Grandfathers life.
Is it at all possible that anyone would be able to help find some of these missing puzzle pieces and/or perhaps shed further light on where he went from London to Watford for the birth of my father and finally to his death in Luton?

Also, on a rather large side note, I found that there was another sibling of the O'Donnell children born by Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Curran named Michael. I am yet to find any birth or baptismal records for him under O'Donnell or Byrne but I stumbled across him when discovering that Father; Thomas and Sister; Johanna, spent time at the same workhouse as my Grandfather but 3 years later in 1926. Thomas claims he has 2 children alongside himself; Johanna and a Michael O'Donnell born 25th Jan 1916. 
This record states his Wife is dead (which we know of course from the shooting in 1922) and claims all three have next of kin by address, as like John, Eliza (Beckingham) Kentish Town Road and Bridget (who we can now also officially confirm was married as 'Hemmi' according to this record too) on Regents Park Road at the time.

According to the records, Johanna after many admissions and discharges later, she was finally discharged to Shaftesbury Home, Shaftesbury Avenue on 18th feb 1927.
Father, Thomas was discharged finally on 26th Feb 1927 to somewhere I cannot transcribe but Michael's last discharge on the record is claimed as 29th Dec 1926 but says continued after P.A next to it so I am unsure if this was his final discharge and I have looked for further admission records but haven't found this continuation.

We know that Thomas followed Eliza and daughters to Exeter where they were evacuated in WW2 where he was later admitted to Digby Hospital Asylum and died.

So I ask again, if anyone can help at all to fill in some of the gaps here too it might help also tell the story of my ancestors, moreover my Grandfather :)

Offline Kimmytantonmohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have emailed Devon Archives to ask if they could help with the admission of Thomas to Exeter Asylum and am awaiting a response. There was a cemetery specifically used for deaths of inmates but it is now defunct. When I have a reply I will let you know if there is any news. The info you have accrued is amazing.