Author Topic: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
It's from IrishNewsArchives you need a subscription so sorry no link.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Ah ok, thanks so much anyway!

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Turns out this John O'Donnell is not the right one!
Can't be his death date after all. So this takes me back to tracking him after his time in Egypt in 1922?!
Help  ??? ???

Offline Kimmytantonmohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 August 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya, sorry to hijack your thread but it is highly unlikely that the Eileen Haddon (?) that, with Bridget Hemmi, re-registered Christina Byrne to O'Donnell is the daughter of my nan Christina Beckingham as Eileen's married name was Moran.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody!
Quick update on some more info!
I have just found my Grandfathers (John O'Donnell) Death index for 1980 in Luton, Bedfordshire.
I have also meanwhile found that he was discharged to Warwickshire in July 1922 at the demise of the Royal Munster Fusiliers and next found that he spent a day in Camden St Pancras Workhouse, in on 1st Jan 1923 before being discharged to St Pancras Hospital. On this record it is written that sister Eliza (Beckingham) was his closest next of kin in address.

I have tried to access the St Pancras Hospital admissions detail through London Metropolitan Archives but you have to have a 'History Card' and although free you must collect in person and due to Covid 19 they are currently closed and not answering the phones either to give me the application number to access these records, which I imagine would help a lot in painting the picture of my Grandfathers life.
Is it at all possible that anyone would be able to help find some of these missing puzzle pieces and/or perhaps shed further light on where he went from London to Watford for the birth of my father and finally to his death in Luton?

Also, on a rather large side note, I found that there was another sibling of the O'Donnell children born by Thomas O'Donnell and Ellen Curran named Michael. I am yet to find any birth or baptismal records for him under O'Donnell or Byrne but I stumbled across him when discovering that Father; Thomas and Sister; Johanna, spent time at the same workhouse as my Grandfather but 3 years later in 1926. Thomas claims he has 2 children alongside himself; Johanna and a Michael O'Donnell born 25th Jan 1916. 
This record states his Wife is dead (which we know of course from the shooting in 1922) and claims all three have next of kin by address, as like John, Eliza (Beckingham) Kentish Town Road and Bridget (who we can now also officially confirm was married as 'Hemmi' according to this record too) on Regents Park Road at the time.

According to the records, Johanna after many admissions and discharges later, she was finally discharged to Shaftesbury Home, Shaftesbury Avenue on 18th feb 1927.
Father, Thomas was discharged finally on 26th Feb 1927 to somewhere I cannot transcribe but Michael's last discharge on the record is claimed as 29th Dec 1926 but says continued after P.A next to it so I am unsure if this was his final discharge and I have looked for further admission records but haven't found this continuation.

We know that Thomas followed Eliza and daughters to Exeter where they were evacuated in WW2 where he was later admitted to Digby Hospital Asylum and died.

So I ask again, if anyone can help at all to fill in some of the gaps here too it might help also tell the story of my ancestors, moreover my Grandfather :)

Offline Kimmytantonmohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have emailed Devon Archives to ask if they could help with the admission of Thomas to Exeter Asylum and am awaiting a response. There was a cemetery specifically used for deaths of inmates but it is now defunct. When I have a reply I will let you know if there is any news. The info you have accrued is amazing.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 October 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
I posted a while back, asking for help to find my Paternal Grandfather; John O'Donnell and the rest of my O'Donnell ancestors who originated from Carrick on Suir, Tipperary, Ireland.
With much digging and delving and a ton of help from some amazing genealogical geniuses on here I have managed to find much information about my Grandfathers immediate family and the early years of his life!
But I am here again calling on your expertise to help me with his latter years!

Up to date, I know that John O'Donnell was a Private in the Royal Munster Fusiliers in WW1 and his last deployment in 1922 was in Egypt until the RMF disbanded in the July of that year.
From Paperwork I have found, he was discharged to Warwickshire that thereafter.
The next trace I have on him is an admission record for St Pancras Workhouse on 1.1.1923 but discharged the same day for St Pancras Hospital.
& I also know that two of his sisters (Eliza Beckingham) and (Bridget Hemmi) lived in that local London Area at this time

Unfortunately I have been unable to access the admission records for St Pancras Hosp, in the hope of finding reason and discharge information.
But I am then able to place him at Rowton House, Arlington Road in South West St Pancras in the years 1924-1925. He was in fact living with his Brother Patrick O'Donnell at this address.
Although in 1926 only John is found on the electoral roll at Arlington Road.

Upon discovering my Grandfathers date of birth from Military Records; 31.05.1902 I was able to order his Death Certificate. He died on 31.01.1980 in Luton Bedfordshire at St Marys Hospital but was living at 77, Icknield Way also in Luton and also with his brother Patrick again!

I have found records that place Patrick and John living at the above address in the years 1978, 1979 and 1980.
In 1978 Patricks Wife; Olive Maud (Stilwell - Maiden Name) (Dodkin - Previous Marriage Name) was living at Icknield Way, also. However she died in the April of that Year.
Patricks DOB: 10.08.1900
Olives DOB: 17.12.1903

Patrick went on to live until 1990.
I have failed to find any address history for John, Patrick or Olive in Luton or quite frankly anywhere before 1978 and after 1980, but I would love to know more locations and dates for my Grandfather and where and when John and Patrick moved back in together after 1926.

Patrick and Olive were married on 27.09.1949 which is the same year my Father was born on 16.06, both in Watford, Hertfordshire.
Although I do know that Patrick and Olive lived with one another years before the marriage in 1939 at 6, King Edward Road, Oxhey Village, Watford, Hertfordshire. This is within the area that my Father grew up and thus myself years later.
Olives Mother; Elizabeth Rose was also named at the above address marked as divorced. Interestingly both Olive who was also previously married was noted, however, as Single with her married name spelt wrongly as Godkin instead of Dodkin and Patricks date of birth was recorded as 1902 instead of 1900 but I understand that mistakes were common in those days in these types of records.

I cannot find my Grandfather, John anywhere in the entire 1939 register!

I hope this ramble of random information that I have gathered so far, makes some sense to someone.. anyone that can help me to decipher some more.
I am just desperate to learn more about my allusive Grandfather's journey through life and place some more of the puzzle pieces into his bigger picture.

So any help, advice, information, anything and everything is welcomed with open, very grateful arms! (and if I have missed anything vital or something doesn't make sense please ask as its probably a consequence of my subsequent verbal diarrhoea!)
:) ;D :)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 October 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
The next trace I have on him is an admission record for St Pancras Workhouse on 1.1.1923 but discharged the same day for St Pancras Hospital.
& I also know that two of his sisters (Eliza Beckingham) and (Bridget Hemmi) lived in that local London Area at this time

Unfortunately I have been unable to access the admission records for St Pancras Hosp, in the hope of finding reason and discharge information.

Workhouse creed register, gives an address for John O'Donnell
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3N2-TRVV

The St Pancras Hospital admission is not helpful on why John was there.
He's 20, a labourer, religion RC
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3N2-Y5JZ

The hospital creed register is more legible re his address :) 50 Kentish Town Rd NW
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-P3NL-NSHT-9

Creed says John was discharged 29-1-23, which we can then find in the A+D register.
This seems to say he had tonsillitis (see next image)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-P3N2-YYL3?i=654

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 October 20 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This so great so far!
Yes that 4 page post is the previous one of mine in which I was engaging in finding out everything linked to my Grandfather in Ireland.

Now I am looking for details on his life post WW1 in London, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire!

Thank you so much for the details on his workhouse admission etc, great to have a hospital discharge date to properly tick off that time in his life leading to the address at Arlington Road!

Keep going everyone!
This really is so helpful and so important to me :)