Author Topic: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century  (Read 4351 times)

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 October 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, 50 Kentish Town Road, was his sister Eliza Beckingham's address.. I wonder then rather than just a next of kin address if perhaps he lived with her also?

Offline TiobraidÁrann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 January 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm researching the Irish Civil War 1922-23 in relation to Co. Tipperary and have discovered the following information concerning the O'Donnell family which may be of interest to you. Ellen O'Donnell of Carrig Rua, Carrick-on-Suir, b. 24 Apr. 1874, married Thomas O'Donnell of John's Street, C-on-S, 9 Feb. 1891 in Chapel of St. Nicholas, C-on-S.
Ellen was shot dead along with her son William on 13 August 1922. The circumstances of the shooting were as follows; Two youths were observed fighting in Long Lane and a Free State soldier, Pte. Patrick Walsh attempted to intervene and stop the fight. One of the youths grabbed the barrel of the soldiers gun and tried to pull it from his grasp. The gun discharged in the struggle and the bullet struck William in the chest, it then passed through him and struck his mother Ellen, who was observing the incident from nearby. Both victims expired in a matter of minutes.
Ellen and Thomas O'Donnell appear to have had ten children between the years 1894-1913, of which nine survived infancy.
For a reason, which I've been unable to discover the family appear to have been using the names, O'Donnell and Byrne, at different times. Some of the children were registered as O'Donnell's, others as Byrne's.
Mary O'Donnell b. 1892, James O'Donnell b. 1893/94, Eliza O'Donnell b. 1898, Patrick O'Donnell b. 4 Aug. 1900, Bridget Byrne b. 14 Sept. 1904, William Byrne b. 28 Oct. 1906,  Ellen Byrne b. 10 Feb. 1909, Johanna Byrne b. 1 June 1911, Christina Byrne b. 22 Dec. 1913.
The account of the shooting of Ellen and her son appeared in two editions of The Nationalist newspaper. In the first account, it referred to the victims as Byrne's and in the second account, it said O'Donnells.
I hope this has been of some use details of the marriage of Ellen and Thomas along with the births of the various Byrne/O'Donnell children are available on the Irish Civil Records website and access is FOC. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/.

Offline Shotibbar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 11 July 21 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm researching the Irish Civil War 1922-23 in relation to Co. Tipperary and have discovered the following information concerning the O'Donnell family which may be of interest to you. Ellen O'Donnell of Carrig Rua, Carrick-on-Suir, b. 24 Apr. 1874, married Thomas O'Donnell of John's Street, C-on-S, 9 Feb. 1891 in Chapel of St. Nicholas, C-on-S.
Ellen was shot dead along with her son William on 13 August 1922. The circumstances of the shooting were as follows; Two youths were observed fighting in Long Lane and a Free State soldier, Pte. Patrick Walsh attempted to intervene and stop the fight. One of the youths grabbed the barrel of the soldiers gun and tried to pull it from his grasp. The gun discharged in the struggle and the bullet struck William in the chest, it then passed through him and struck his mother Ellen, who was observing the incident from nearby. Both victims expired in a matter of minutes.
Ellen and Thomas O'Donnell appear to have had ten children between the years 1894-1913, of which nine survived infancy.
For a reason, which I've been unable to discover the family appear to have been using the names, O'Donnell and Byrne, at different times. Some of the children were registered as O'Donnell's, others as Byrne's.
Mary O'Donnell b. 1892, James O'Donnell b. 1893/94, Eliza O'Donnell b. 1898, Patrick O'Donnell b. 4 Aug. 1900, Bridget Byrne b. 14 Sept. 1904, William Byrne b. 28 Oct. 1906,  Ellen Byrne b. 10 Feb. 1909, Johanna Byrne b. 1 June 1911, Christina Byrne b. 22 Dec. 1913.
The account of the shooting of Ellen and her son appeared in two editions of The Nationalist newspaper. In the first account, it referred to the victims as Byrne's and in the second account, it said O'Donnells.
I hope this has been of some use details of the marriage of Ellen and Thomas along with the births of the various Byrne/O'Donnell children are available on the Irish Civil Records website and access is FOC. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/.

Hi
I have an interest in the O'Donnell family
Where can I get a copy of the newspaper reports of Ellen & William's deaths
Regards
Jeff