Author Topic: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century  (Read 4310 times)

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell Family Carrick on Suir, co Tipperary Ireland 19th/20th Century
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 August 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
Also I wonder if anyone could help with Thomas O'Donnell the Father - married to Ellen Curran 1891
he suffered a shot to the head which ended with a metal plate placed in his head. He moved to London to live with daughter Bridget when his wife died but suffered mental health problems and was committed to Digby hospital in Exeter when he then died later.
Thus far, I have thought he was the Thomas O'Donnell born 1974 in Cahir, Tipperary, son of Patrick O'Donnell and Mary Carroll, although now I am unsure as realising in the 1911 census for the O'Donnell Family at Red Garden in Carrick on Suir , Thomas is listed as 37 years old, two years older than Ellen Curran born on 24th April 1974?

In the Marriage Certificate of Thomas and Ellen it says that she was 19 and he was 18 and that his father is in fact a Thomas O'Donnell also? But I have struggled to find a Thomas O'Donnell with this name for his Father born circa 1973?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get it right and I'm such a rookie!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 August 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Do you know when and where John O'Donnell married Amelia? 

I can't seem to find any marriage for John to Amelia Masters.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 August 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
Also I wonder if anyone could help with Thomas O'Donnell the Father - married to Ellen Curran 1891
he suffered a shot to the head which ended with a metal plate placed in his head. He moved to London to live with daughter Bridget when his wife died but suffered mental health problems and was committed to Digby hospital in Exeter when he then died later.

This fits with what I was reading in the newspaper re him not getting on with his neighbour John Donovan and his landlord trying to get him out of the house, he was described as a nuisance to his neighbours.

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 August 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
John O'Donnell and Amelia Masters never married; as my Grandmother had 5 other children from a previous marriage, John was not in a position to support this size of family, so after initially bring money and items from the black market to help with the maintenance of his child, he left.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 August 20 23:28 BST (UK) »

Where did you see the change in name from Byrne to O'Donnell as I wonder if the Eileen that changed it is in fact Christines daughter, Eileen C Beckingham? And Bridget, the Bridget O'Donnell we see in the 1911 census?

It's written on the right of Christina's birth cert.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 August 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
As an aside, I've been trying to decipher / reconcile a place name in Carrick on Suir that crops up in several of the O'Donnell / Byrne records that I've posted. For example, 'Garryrue' appears as the residence recorded for Ellen Curran in the registration of her marriage to Thomas O'Donnell in 1891. And 'Garry Rue Lane' appears as the address of Thomas Byrne and Ellen Curran at the time of the birth of their daughter Johanna on 1 June 1911.  This latter example was nagging me slightly, for the birth occurred only two months after the 1911 census, which showed Thomas and Ellen O'Donnell and family living in a place called 'Red Garden' in Carrick on Suir .

However, it would appear that there is no inconsistency, according to this item from 'The School's Collection' of folklore and local tradition compiled by pupils in Irish schools between 1937 and 1939:

Garry Ruadh:-
This part of Carrick is situated to the north of Town Wall. It is a large uncultivated patch of earth. When the Summertime comes the place is filled up with wild red poppies. Hence the name Red Garden or Garry Ruadh.

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922249/4864102

(I'm wondering... maybe derived from garraí = garden/field, ruadh = red?)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 August 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
I'm following you around gaffy ;D
Red Garden on map (Orange coloured bit)
https://bit.ly/2FhRBWY

Offline hols92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 August 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
So I have discovered that Garryrue was a local name in the town of Carrick on Suir at the turn of the 19th-20th Century. Its Gaelic name was Garrai Rua (Red Gardens) anglicised to Garryrue and its English translation is Red Garden Lane. Evidently, it means the Red Garden, where there was blood shed in a battle. The Garryrue extended from the rear of Lough St to the rear of New St, Carrick in an area now known in the present Pierce/Pearce Square, it extends from what was Town Wall down to 'The Green'. Garraí Rua was an area in the town, opposite the green, it was a laneway near the centre of the town Carrick on Suir.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:20 BST (UK) »

I'm following you around gaffy ;D
Red Garden on map (Orange coloured bit)
https://bit.ly/2FhRBWY

No worries, great minds think alike, glad to see where garry rue / red garden was.  :)