Author Topic: Newspaper article/police court research  (Read 642 times)

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper article/police court research
« on: Wednesday 12 August 20 17:46 BST (UK) »

I have came across a newspaper article about a woman who matches by name, age and place to my great grandmother. It concerns an 'affiliation summons' whereby she took a man to the police court because she alleged he was the father of her child (there is a family rumour of child in the past/census info matches etc so it seems this could well be her reported about). It gives the address and occupation details of the man she alleged was the father but nothing other than the full name of the woman who summoned him to the court.

I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can look into this further, would there be court records or some type of document about it. It was at Cardiff Police Court in 1900. Only I would really like to confirm things or at least look into it more to see if my suspicions about it all are possible or way off.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing or knows where's best to start I'd love to know! Or sadly perhaps records were not kept but things reported locally in papers because of the scandal! Any advice welcome. Thank you

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper article/police court research
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
Normally Affiliation Orders are held by the Local Archives - as are Petty Sessions Records.

It is probable that your local archives may be closed at the moment - but searching the catalogue - I see that Glamorgan archives do hold Affilaition orders, before and after the date you want.

You could try searching that catalogue using the woman's name as a search term. It's worth a try anyway. Alternatively you may have to search the batch covering the year you want by visiting - or asking the Archives to look for you (there would be a charge for them doing the search and copying the documents).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
Ah! This is brilliant thank you!
I have just done a quick search with the name (I'm not 100% sure I searched the right fields) but nothing appears with her name. I'll get in touch and see if anything does exist as it may answer a lot of questions. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated! :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
It's the catalogue you need to search - there is a search box top right of it.

http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/

If that link doesn't take you to it - tab down until you see the Catalogue - in the search box try typing Affiliation Orders and you will see that they hold loads (apparantly!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Try the search with the man's name.

We obtained affiliation for my grandmother born dec ,,,,1899

Its a beautiful document and gives lots of details .
His address payment for nursing and monthly payments due til child is 14

we paid the records office to do the search .
Not easy to find &  ,not many survived apparently

Good luck

Ps DNA has proved we are connected to his family

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson