Author Topic: Looking for David and Jane Rosser (in 1841?)  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for David and Jane Rosser (in 1841?)
« on: Thursday 13 August 20 07:50 BST (UK) »
David Rosser (of Bedwellty) married Jane Richards on 2 October 1814 in  Llantrisant.
David Rosser married Jane  Griffiths on 23  January 1816 at St Mary's, Swansea. (Both Free Reg)

In 1841 David Rosser, age 55, born out of county, was living at Cwm Measrudud, Bedwellty, Mon. with 4 children 6 -18.
On  5 March 1839 Jane Rosser, aged 45, of Cwm Measrudud, was buried in Bedwellty. (Free Reg)
A Jane Richards was baptised in Llantrisant, 20 May 1792. (Free Reg)

On 23 January 1831, Mary Rosser, daughter of David and Jane,  was baptised at Bedwellty, aged 16. (b c 1814)

Sarah, daughter of David and Jane, married Robert Smith and when their daughter,  Jane, was born in 1847, by a strange coincidence, the child's mother was certificated  as Sarah Smith, formerly Richards. The birth certificate of a subsequent child, Jennet, correctly displayed her mother as Sarah Smith, formerly Rosser.

David Rosser, age 62, was buried in Bedwellty on 15 February 1848.

This is the family in which I am interested,  and the evidence, more circumstantial than conclusive, is that they were the couple who married in Llantrisant. It would be helpful, for confirmation/ elimination purposes,  to find record of the destiny of the other (Swansea?) couple, which I have yet to do.

I would appreciate any help to establish with more certainty the identities  of David and Jane of Bedwellty.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for David and Jane Rosser (in 1841?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
Since my original post I have discovered some additional  information which might provide an answer.

On 25 November 1834 a Mary Rosser married John Rogers in Bedwellty.
In 1851 Mary Rodgers, 36, born Monmouthshire, was living  with husband, John,  at Cadoxton Juxta Neath, Neath Higher, Glamorgan. Included in the household was Louisa Rossen, 16, born Monmouthshire, "servant".
In 1841, the household of Davis Rosser of Bedwellty included his youngest daughter, Louisa, age 6, born Monmouthshire.

How likely is it that Mary and Louisa of 1851 were the eldest and youngest children of David and Jane Rosser of Bedwellty?

If that is the case, how more likely is it that Mary, b c 1814, was the daughter of David  and Jane Richards, married in 1814 than David Rosser and Jane Griffiths, married 1816?

I hope there may be someone willing to apply forensic objectivity to the facts and offer an opinion on my implied conclusion.