Author Topic: Living DNA Problems  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA Problems
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 September 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Uploaded my DNA profile and while slow the matches have appeared. The 2 closest are not on other DNA sites. However, there are many fewer matches than on other sites.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 September 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Prompted by this thread I logged in to my Living DNA account and I see the details of shared DNA with matches is still "coming soon"

I guess the thing with Living DNA is that it appears to be hugely under resourced and everything takes a long time to happen. They should have a warning on their home page "patience is required", still I hope they get there as I appear to have some good matches on that site that are not on other sites.

Added: I posted this message yesterday and today i have got a message on Living DNA, spooky  ;)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Still nothing regarding my mt and Y-DNA.
My big issue is the lack of information.
It would help to know about the process as most are new to DNA.
Also how long things take.
As with a previous post, I have sent an email to them, but it has not prompted anything.
Thanks to the comments regarding other companies finding more, as I will now upload to them.
Living DNA seem to focus on African heritage. They say I have a tiny amount.
I wonder if everyone, has at least a tiny amount, hoping for a curiosity to buy that part of their test.

Offline Kenneal67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 October 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
I didn't have any African at all but did unexpectedly have 13 % Spanish and 7% Italian so heavens knows where that slipped in.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 October 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
My DNA is UK and Ireland 89.7%, though the breakdown says there is nothing from Ireland. The largest two percentages make sense. But I do have Asia South Pashtun 8.6% and Africa Nilotic People 1.6%. Pashtun is the Iran area and Nilotic People are from halfway down Africa on the West side. I am looking for my Welsh great-great grandfather; a Williams from West Wales. It is like looking for the needle in a haystack, but not one that spreads to Asia or Africa.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 October 20 09:40 BST (UK) »

I haven’t had any problems with Living DNA.

This is my Ethnicity Estimate after the last Update:

Great Britain and Ireland
98.7%

South Wales
33.2%

South Central England
17.2%

South England
14.7%

East Anglia
7.5%

Devon
4.6%

Ireland
4%

South Wales Border
3.9%

Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland
3.3%

Cumbria
3.3%

Northwest Scotland
2.4%

North Wales
1.8%

Southeast England
1.6%

Aberdeenshire
1.2%

Near East

1.3%

Arabia
1.3%

I’m a bit intrigued by the Arabian DNA, - I don’t have it on any other Site!

Romilly  ;D

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 October 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
My DNA is UK and Ireland 89.7%, though the breakdown says there is nothing from Ireland. The largest two percentages make sense. But I do have Asia South Pashtun 8.6% and Africa Nilotic People 1.6%. Pashtun is the Iran area and Nilotic People are from halfway down Africa on the West side. I am looking for my Welsh great-great grandfather; a Williams from West Wales. It is like looking for the needle in a haystack, but not one that spreads to Asia or Africa.
Living DNA is rather notorious, like MyHeritage for giving nonsense data on their ethnicity percentages so I wouldn't pay too much attention to them! Their primary reference samples were from the Peoples of the British Isles project, and although they made a drive to get more samples a couple of years ago, there has been no feedback as to those samples they did receive and whether they have yet analysed or learnt anything from them to improve their estimates.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 October 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Are there other websites I can upload my DNA to?
I do not need the whole world; just a UK search.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 October 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Are there other websites I can upload my DNA to?
I do not need the whole world; just a UK search.

Did you test with Ancestry, Talacharn?

If so, from there you can upload to My Heritage, FTDNA, Living DNA, and Gedmatch.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.