Author Topic: James Ainsworth born about 1766  (Read 329 times)

guest189040

James Ainsworth born about 1766
« on: Thursday 13 August 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
James is my 4xGreat Grandfather and a brick wall.

He married Nancy Anne Hurstfield in October 1794 in Frodsham, Cheshire.

James and Nancy had son John in 1806 and in 1841 James and Nancy Anne were living close to John and his Wife Elizabeth (Betsey) nee Duncalf in Netherton (which is very next door to Frodsham).

Try as I may I am stuck with James, the only other info I have is that he died in 1844 in Frodsham.

The trees on Ancestry has his parents and his birth in Bury but to me that is very tenuous and the trees have no supporting evidence that I find credible.

I am wondering if a fresh set of eyes and other resources have more info on James as Ancestry and Family Search have no obvious returns.

BTW there are a lot of Ainsworth's around and in Frodsham

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Ainsworth born about 1766
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
I note the burial & the Bury birth, which is clearly not correct.

James Ainsworth
Died age 78 (1766)
20 Oct 1844
Frodsham, Cheshire,

James Ainsworth
Baptism 1 Jun 1766
Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire
Birth Date: 27 May 1766
Death Date: 22 Aug 1776

However there are a couple of other possibilities in Lancashire on family search.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
Been on a bit of a wild goose chase here for several hours trying to find your James Ainsworth.
SO back to the originals.
The marriage of Nancy Hurstfield 1794 at Frodsham is to James UNSWORTH, not Ainsworth. Both make their mark, so James would be unable to tell if the vicar spelt the name as he knew it.
They had a heap of children all baptised UNSWORTH at Frodsham.
Martha 1795, William 1797, plus others, including what I presume is your John, as there would seem to be no entry on findmypast for a John AINSWORTH, only UNSWORTH.
If you look on familysearch, it will give you all the children, then on findmypast you can see the actual registers.
If you look at the entry for John, baptised 1807, on familysearch, you will see it takes you to a tree giving James's father as another James, married 1762 in Warrington, although he came from Winwick (there is a marriage licence allegation on findmypast), which is just about on the Lancashire/Cheshire border. I see James born 1766 says he was not born in County (Cheshire) on the 1841 Census (it would have been helpful if you had included that in your post). He may well have thought he was born in Lancashire.

It may well be that they were originally Unsworth, and as time went by, plus a change of vicar at Frodsham, it got to be written Ainsworth.

I'll leave you to follow all this up.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 20 07:25 BST (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

It is a case of looking but but not seeing regarding born out of County.

Son John married Betsey Duncalf and I have three DNA matches that link back directly to John so I am confident that the Tree is OK as far back as him and further on the Duncalf line.

I have presumed that Unsworth becoming Ainsworth is a perfectly normal change and in the past I have looked at the Unsworth name and specifically related to Frodsham.

Ancestry has a James Unsworth living in Frodsham in 1841 but he was born in 1811 and his children do not have the correct names (needs to be John) to lead on to my Great Grandfather George Henry Ainsworth b1864 so even before we had the DNA links I had looked at Unsworth as a possibility.  Ancestry has 31 James Unsworth's born 1766 +/- 5 years so the one I seek may well be one of these, if I was to make a guess then those around Winnick/Warrington would be prime candidates as in later generations quite a few Ainsworth's go to this area and may well have stayed with distant relatives whilst getting their work and home sorted.

Back to the drawing board and once again may thanks for opening my eyes.