Author Topic: Martha Gower- Starston  (Read 339 times)

Offline tdgower2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Gower- Starston
« on: Friday 14 August 20 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I'm wondering if people will be able to help with Martha Gower, she's been a mystery for a while now.
She was born in 1844 in Starston, Norfolk. Her parents were Thomas Gower (1821-1895) and Anna Maria Blomfield (1821-1900), married in Starston in 1844.
Now I have lots of info about the parents but hardly any about Martha's life.
She's listed in the 1851 census living with her parents in Starston. Then in 1861 she is boarding with Amos and Louisa Alden in Rushall Road, Pulham St. Mary, Norfolk. I later found that her Grandmother was an Alden, so possible connection there.
She has an illegitimate child called James Gower in 1862 in Starston. Then gives birth to my 2x Great Grandfather William Gower in 1868 in Pulham Market Workhouse. I've been to Norfolk record office to confirm this.
After 1868 there is no trace of her. William is adopted by a couple in Beccles, Suffolk, he keeps the surname Gower after taking adoptive parents name when a child. James, I think, is taken in by his grandparents Thomas and Anna.
I haven't been able to find a marriage for her, and if she is down as Martha Gower i can't find her on the 1871 or 1881 census.
I believe that she probably emigrated but have not found proof.
If anyone could find anything on her then that would be brilliant! Hopefully I've given enough information, I probably forgot something haha.

Thanks in advance, Tom
Gower, Barker, Mayhew, Blomfield - (Norfolk/Suffolk)
Cook, Carter, Smith, Musk, Moss, Staples, Sparkes, Lister, Woollard, Scrivener, Marsh, Arnold, Hazelwood- (Cambs/Suffolk)
Grimwood, Shinn, Fitches, Sustins, Harvey, Sangster, Capps, Blake, Kimmance, Rans, Watts, George, Denny- (Suffolk)
Fishburne, Bartram, Rix, Balls, Porter, Leach- (Norfolk) Slater, Forster (Co. Durham/Nbland)
Taylor, Element, Barnett- (Worcs) Colley, Dobson, Thornton, Priestman, Harper, Spence, Plewes, Mowthorpe (Yorks)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Gower- Starston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 20 01:32 BST (UK) »
A tree of Ancestry suggests she was the wife of a Henry Ridgwell (bc.1846 Pimlico) - they are together in 1891/1901 census and she is a widow in 1911.

However, I don't believe there was any marriage between the two - a daughter Jessie F. Ridgwell shown bc.1884 Lambeth - birth entry states mmn was Payne.   I believe that she was Henry's daughter, and not Martha's.   Looks doubtful he was married to daughters mother either.

I think this is Martha Gower as a) she is the only Martha who was born Startston ca.1844 and b) in 1891 she gives Norfolk as birthplace, 1901 has been 'dittoed' as same as Henry but in 1911 it clearly states born Startston.

She appears to have died Jun.1912 Chelsea.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tdgower2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Gower- Starston
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Annette7. Gives me a lot of info I haven't had before.  :)
Gower, Barker, Mayhew, Blomfield - (Norfolk/Suffolk)
Cook, Carter, Smith, Musk, Moss, Staples, Sparkes, Lister, Woollard, Scrivener, Marsh, Arnold, Hazelwood- (Cambs/Suffolk)
Grimwood, Shinn, Fitches, Sustins, Harvey, Sangster, Capps, Blake, Kimmance, Rans, Watts, George, Denny- (Suffolk)
Fishburne, Bartram, Rix, Balls, Porter, Leach- (Norfolk) Slater, Forster (Co. Durham/Nbland)
Taylor, Element, Barnett- (Worcs) Colley, Dobson, Thornton, Priestman, Harper, Spence, Plewes, Mowthorpe (Yorks)