Author Topic: Achievements & failures in Covid-19 times  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Achievements & failures in Covid-19 times
« on: Friday 14 August 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Looking back over the last few months I was trying to find something good to balance the bad times.  :-\

My greatest achievement was a much needed weight loss, brought about by diet and exercise changes.  At my last annual check-up my BMI was way too high and I was warned that I was in danger of becoming Type 2 diabetic, so decided to do something about it - BMI's down, blood pressure's down. hurray!  Just need some new clothes now, a size smaller!

Since my children have been doing my shopping I haven't been tempted by any special offers or impulse buys, so have stuck to a list and have saved quite a bit of money by not buying stuff I don't really need.

My greatest failure, however, was not to complete my ambition to bring up to date and file and record all my family history research.  It has seemed an unsurmountable task, but I'm plodding along a bit at a time, so maybe I'll get there some day.

What have been your greatest achievements and failures?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements & failures in Covid-19 times
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
I cannot say I have achieved anything throughout the lockdown, BUT I must commend a friend who has been busy making scrubs masks and hats the whole time, she is still making masks which she is donating the monies to charity after we all scrabbled around for materials

I must add there are a lot of people doing exactly the same, mostly nameless but well done them

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
I've got a far tidier back garden than I normally have!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Me too  :D

I got to the bottom of my mending pile and found clothes I’d forgotten about!

I put the photos of my 40th birthday party in the pretty album I’d bought, only 15 years after the event  ;D

I would have liked to empty the loft and cleared out my wardrobe but common sense told me it would just create piles of stuff which I then couldn’t donate, recycle, sell or whatever. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it  ;)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
... re: the loft. I must remember that excuse.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
PHOTOS! Have gone from about 27 boxes of them all over my office to just a few now- 2 for sorting into albums, 1 for those I'm keeping but not putting into albums, 1 large box for children to pick from (& a few on bulletin board to be posted to people); also 1 box of negatives & 4 of really old ones stored nearly in closet. Have lost count of how many albums I've put together so far. Moved arm chair into office for watching television with shredder next to it (another ongoing project is decluttering files and shredding old bank statements, farm accounts, etc.).
Lots of gardening was done, especially with long spell of lovely weather at the start of lockdown, bits of garden plants, soil, etc. moved from one place to another, 2 large flower beds done (mostly weeds since garden centres weren't open for so long) and lots more projects planned for the future.
Baking has now resumed since I was able to get a new oven a few weeks ago which means I should really defrost the freezer first....
always something to do  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
I promised myself that I'd finally go through all my wardrobes etc and sort out those clothes/shoes I no longer wear and put the lot in charity bags, but then the bags stopped coming through the door so I went off the boil! usually, I must get about 3 a week - some for the most obscure 'charities' that make me wonder if they're genuine.

The bags have now started to arrive in numbers again so I made a start - a feeble one, but at least I made a start! Then I caught an item on the news yesterday about charities being overwhelmed with donations and not wanting anymore (I didn't get the full gist of the news item as I only caught it as it was finishing so hopefully I got that wrong).  Typical!!! Shall I stop? Shall I continue? Like you, oldfashioned girl, I don't want to be left with piles of clothes dotted around the house!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Decided to rebuild my model railway from the ground up!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
My husband decided to empty our loft of all the unwanted bits and pieces we had inherited - mainly silver and cut glass - and he brought all the boxes down to the spare bedroom for our children to inspect and take away if they wanted.  The very next day lockdown was announced.  >:( The boxes remain in the spare bedroom, waiting for that magical day when we can invite the children inside the house.  I hoover round them (the piles of boxes, not the children)  every week, regretting what seemed like a good idea at the time. ::) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.