Author Topic: Achievements & failures in Covid-19 times  (Read 2144 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements & failures in Covid-19 times
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 21:10 BST (UK) »

My greatest achievement was a much needed weight loss, brought about by diet and exercise changes.  At my last annual check-up my BMI was way too high and I was warned that I was in danger of becoming Type 2 diabetic, so decided to do something about it - BMI's down, blood pressure's down. hurray!

What have been your greatest achievements and failures?

Congratulations, you'll find keeping a healthy BMI, etc., should hopefully prevent excessive wear on your bone joints and hopefully avoid unneccessary medication or op, later.

Threat of Covid has assisted many to give up smoking too!

My failure was to go out in my back garden several days ago in just my bed shorts and sleeveless top on a misty early am ...

I thought I'd said goodbye to the last of my mysterious rash, blotches, swellings, spots, itching to my body and burning stinging agony inside my legs, the final two areas were just about disappearing, after several months of suffering!

However, I was attacked by a group of blood sucking type insects, whilst pulling a long bramble from the hedge speading to the lawn, I brushed them off with my hands and showered. Started to swell up.

By yesterday I felt sick and went to bed early, but by this morning the redness and infection looked very serious to both my legs and my wrist to elbow :o

Doctor has put on Antibiotics and said seek urgent help by 111 if infection spreads further.

My gardening gloves protected my hands from thorns, but shorts & sleeveless top not a good thing!

Mark

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I second Mark's congrats Gillg.

Achievements include persuading Mr Josey to agree to new bedroom carpet [been there since house was built in 1985, we've been here since 2000]. We'd saved alot of money inlockdown, no going away or out, no haircuts. It was laid today wonderful feels like a trampoline after the last threadbare one. Made face coverings for the neighbours with donated material & some beeswax food covers for the local river charity.

Failures include not keeping up with ukulele practice [zoom just didn't work & we were just getting into garden meetings when we went into local lockdown in Kirklees].

Ouch, Mark. I went to put out recycling bin in dressing gown & crocs a few years ago, fell down our steep drive [I blame the crocs other brands are available] and broke my leg. I now never go out unsuitably dressed!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 21:26 BST (UK) »

Since my children have been doing my shopping I haven't been tempted by any special offers or impulse buys, so have stuck to a list and have saved quite a bit of money by not buying stuff I don't really need.

Ditto. Healthy bank balance. Used only 5 local shops, 5 minutes walk away, apart from 1 visit to a supermarket. Walked there and back so could buy only what I could carry.  Limited stock in local shops so nothing to waste money on.
Cowban

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
:=(
Similar to Mark . . . . ( since moving from 'Erts ) these Devon insects just luv lursh   juicy me.     

Never got bit in SW 'erts,  . . . . . .     

Devonian spiders, ticks, horseflies must talk amongst themselves. . . . . .
" Here he comes, quick, sharpen your biggest fangs, He's really tasty! "         
" These self-isolating pensioners eating their brekkies in the early morning sun (brrrrr) just sit there waiting for us "     

As for doing the "SoDuckO" in the late afternoon, those insects ALL want to help
 >:(
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

guest189040

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Achievements
Saving money by not going out and only ordering the food we need
Not using any petrol having only travelled c100 miles since February.
Spent more time on family research
Spend more time learning to play my keyboard
Walked the dog far more

Failures
Health has caused problems (Arthytis)
Garage is a total mess with everything piled in there
Garden a disaster
Put on weight

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 August 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Spent more time on RootsChat. Not sure which category it falls into.
Took part in a conference by Zoom (2 sessions several weeks apart). Attempted a Zoom tutorial (unsuccessful).
Tried to keep in touch with members of local organisations electronically. Hit & miss.
Younger people have stepped forward as volunteers.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
I managed to take part in one "Zoom" thingy, no problems. Three weeks later, tried to take part in another ( same organisation, etc, same computer for me....) managed to see what was going on, but could neither hear ( that annoyed me) nor contribute ( that didn't). Did all the checks but simply seemed to have no sound connection..... baffled.... and cross...
-And I'd been quite pleased at actually managing it last time with no problems. Drat.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 August 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
That's happened to me a couple of times during zoom U3A group meetings - visuals but no sound. One solution, if all systems test out OK & equivalent to a boot up the backside we used to give laboratory analysers, is to leave the meeting & immediately join again, Never failed to solve the problem.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 August 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Ahah, I'll give that a try. I did try coming out of my meeting, and zipping into another room, grabbing a laptop. and trying getting back - but the silly laptop, getting on a bit, and with a lot of temperament at the best of times - it doesn't get out much nowadays, poor ol' thing - ahhh - so that didn't work either for my tangle.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)