Author Topic: Who was Maud Roebuck Hattersley b 1880 Sheffield?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Maud Roebuck Hattersley b 1880 Sheffield?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 August 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Of course, so C Roebuck in Meols in 1881 couldn't have been her - unless she came back with Maria/Maud?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 August 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
I do think Clara is the best candidate for the 1881 North Meols finding. Even if Caroline had still been in the country, she was born in Rotherham rather than Sheffield.

Carrie Roebuck Guite b 9 March 1860 died 13 April 1930 per Findagrave - buried at Fairview Cemetery, New Britain, Hartford, Connecticut.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 August 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
It would be good to have some coherent theory as to how and why Maud ended up with the Wards in Sheffield in 1891. Given that James Ward was apparently an employee of the Borussia Steel Works in 1881 - which was owned by or connected with Edward J Hattersley - perhaps Maud(e) was placed with the Wards by her natural father?

Wards at the Borussia Steel Works in 1881: RG11/4646/80/12

Links to Edward James Hattersley: www.gracesguide.co.uk/Edward_J._Hattersley_and_Co
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 August 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
It sounds likely. He later become a Methodist minister so perhaps this was part of his repentance. I'll have another dig around his background.

Ref the 9 March 1860 DOB for Caroline on FAG, I wonder if it tallies with the birth registration for Caroline who was born in Rotherham - which was in Q2 1860, so does fit, although she was bp in April 1862 Bishop Auckland with the transcript saying she was born in 1859. There doesn't seem to be an image on-line to verify this but, if the record says 'age 2 years', that would make YOB 1860, not 1859 - unless a '2' has been mistranscribed as a '3'.

Just found landing card for Maria Roebuck on 5.7.1880 in Philadelphia - the final digit looks like '8' and has been transcribed as such. So she did actually make it to the US.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 August 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
The Wards were in Pea Croft in 1891, and Sheffield Indexers shows Edward James Hattersley had a shop there in 1875-1876 (recorded in Sheffield Burgess Rolls).

There are several marriages for James Ward to Mary A* [someone] in Sheffield and surrounding areas although none of the bride's surnames ring a bell (although she may have been a widow).

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 August 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
I thought the Dec qtr 1876 marriage of James Ward and (possibly) Mary Ann Siddall in Sheffield looked likely. He had a previous marriage and was a widower in 1871. I haven’t traced her before this.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 August 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Caroline Roebuck b Rotherham (actually Wath upon Dearne) was 1 in 1861 and 11 in 1871, so consistent with a 9 March 1860 birthdate.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 August 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
Caroline Roebuck b Rotherham (actually Wath upon Dearne) was 1 in 1861 and 11 in 1871, so consistent with a 9 March 1860 birthdate.

I suppose I'm always suspicious unless I've seen the actual record, especially when another one might contradict it.

I thought the Dec qtr 1876 marriage of James Ward and (possibly) Mary Ann Siddall in Sheffield looked likely. He had a previous marriage and was a widower in 1871. I haven’t traced her before this.

I did find Mary Ann Siddall with husband William and son Edward in 1871, but no obvious marriage for the couple or a birth for Edward. I wonder if the connection is simply that James Ward may have been a Methodist church member who Edward Hattersley trusted. I'd still like to know how/when Maria/Maud got back from the US. I did wonder if they were two separate children, one who stayed, one who went - but there's only one bp and no apparent br for either.

Thanks for your help with all this - it's much appreciated.