Author Topic: Not wearing a face mask  (Read 1894 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Not wearing a face mask
« on: Friday 14 August 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
I was quite shocked today in Aldi - St Annes (Fylde)  branch.  In the first 2 aisles I counted 8 people without masks - mainly in the 20/30 age group.

2 were couples, a group of 3 young lads and a youth on his own.  I accept some people have hidden disabilities but 8 on the same day in what is quite a small branch of Aldi???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Not wearing a face mask
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Probably some of the 'It won't happen to me ' brigade or else couldn't care less. Well apparently there'll be action taken against such people but how that would work in practice I don't know.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
The only way to enforce it is for some form of ID to be issued to those exempt.  It would give shops and other places the authority to ban people not wearing a mask and without ID.  It would also enable police to issue fines
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
I managed to speak with my Dr. today ,re the withdrawal of Ranitidine .
She decided I needed a check up for various things so appt on 28 th .
Now, if I walk  down I won’t be able to walk back as uphill all the way,so I could walk down and get the bus back ,but quite honestly I am really apprehensive about the whole thing .
I have observed lockdown completely and have not been out since January  10 th, and my first eye operation ,could not see well enough to be out really .
I have masks .
No visitors ,other than son dropping some shopping off outside and leaving, Grandson and family staying outside garden ,three or four metres away from me during the two or three visits they have made.
Tesco delivery on the step ,me inside the house after opening the door whilst driver at the gate.
I wish I did not have to go , but need to.
There is a rise in numbers in the Bury area ,I will see in the intervening fortnight how things go.
I think stores ought to refuse entry to people not wearing masks, but that might mean encounters of a nasty kind for some poor doorman/ security staff personnel.
I know some people with certain conditions find masks very difficult .
Some people  are being very selfish whilst others are going all out to comply and help as much as they can,sewing ,working long hours etc .
So wait and see, the decision might very well not be mine in the end..
Viktoria,

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
The possibility of intervention by the supermarket staff seems to be the problem, they don't think that they should be the ones to police it, I'm inclined to agree with them.

As an asthmatic I don't find it very easy to wear a mask but I wouldn't not wear one where necessary, I've only worn one for a few minutes on the couple of occasions I've gone to pay when visiting the plant nurseries and must admit I couldn't wait to take it off. I suppose I'll get used to it although I'm not intending visiting any other shops.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
I agree with CaroleW that some form of ID as proof of exemption... perhaps a card on a lanyard so it's clear and visible...

A friend of mine told me she'd been in to our local small Aldis and had counted 5 people not wearing a face covering but not challenged by staff... sadly there are some people who think these rules don't apply to them...

One of my OH's golf partners went into the pro shop without wearing one and got a ticking off told not to come in again without one!
OH is constantly telling him to keep his distance, he mentioned he and wife were going to a 40th wedding anniversary party in the garden...
he also lives Northampton where they've just had 290 positives cases and it's a town of concern...
OH' going to tell him he can't see him anymore on the golf course it's too risky... this chap has Parkinson's ... you'd think he'd be more careful... he's a retired Head Teacher so not stupid.

Having made over 450 face coverings for local group to distribute im very keen on them being worn!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 20 02:01 BST (UK) »
Why should someone with a hidden illness have to prove it to anyone, least of all a bunch of strangers in the supermarket? 

We went months with practically no-one wearing them and I'm not aware of a single outbreak linked to Asda/Lidl/Tesco/Waitrose etc, so if a handful of people still don't wear a mask for whatever reason then that's their business, not mine.

I wear one because its 'the rules' but I'm far from convinced about the extent of any benefit from them and have drastically cut back on visiting local shops because of it.  It seems we don't have to wear them in situations where we'll actually be talking to each other (at work, in the pub etc), but we do in situations where we generally wander around in silence (eg browsing in a shop, art gallery etc).   

Unless the people in Aldi were shouting/spitting/coughing everywhere, then its highly unlikely they presented any risk whatsoever, and certainly not enough to justify demands for people with illnesses to have to prove it. 

You might have guessed that I'm a libertarian  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
"You might have guessed that I'm a libertarian"

Well, bully for you.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 August 20 02:06 BST (UK) »
"You might have guessed that I'm a libertarian"

Well, bully for you.

Really?  Any need?  Or are we only allowed one viewpoint on here these days?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.