Author Topic: Not wearing a face mask  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not wearing a face mask
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 August 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Even libertarian's can contract Covid19 and pass it on to others ;D

Yes, they can, and as I've said, I do reluctantly wear one despite being less than convinced that they actually achieve much, or that many of the 'rules' make any sense. 

What I strongly object to though is the perceived right to demand that others prove (to them) that they are exempt.  How do you know they haven't already explained quietly to the store manager? 

If the Government had decreed that exempt people had to wear something about their clothing as 'proof' of their status there would have been an outcry from many health / charity organisations, and rightly so. 

A 'genuine person' should not have to prove anything to the chattering masses - its nobody's business but their own, regardless of any circumstances.  I'm 100% with Guy on this one.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 August 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
This is the site I mentioned - 

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/what-should-people-with-asthma-do-now/should-i-wear-a-face-mask-or-face-covering/ 

If you scroll down, there are links for the major transport providers and the government exemption site. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 August 20 13:07 BST (UK) »

Given the huge number of deaths & serious nature of this virus coupled with the current increase in cases etc - If I was exempt - I would have absolutely no objection to being asked to provide an exemption certificate as proof.   Everybody has a duty of care.

Do you know how many disabled people commit suicide due to society pressure on them?

Data from NHS Digital’s Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey (APMS) 2007, which surveyed around 7,000 adults in Britain, shows 21 per cent of Incapacity Benefit claimants had tried to take their own lives, compared with 6 per cent of the general adult population. 
A later 2017 report which was not causal effect linked (so I have not used their higher figures) also states “...the extent that physically disabled people view themselves as a constant burden to others, and the practical and theoretical importance of identifying potentially modifiable factors that amplify or moderate the risk associated with suicidal behaviour.”

Are you even concerned, obviously not because you want to rub salt into the wounds and make them prove they have a legal right to go about their business legally in the way they choose. It may seem insignificant to you but to a person who feels themselves a burden to society such a little thing as having to prove they don't have to wear a face mask could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If you are worried about people shopping without wearing a face covering exert your right and wait until those without face coverings have left the shop, or shop somewhere else such as online, but don't insist that those who are exempt from having to wear a face covering prove the fact, they have enough problems to cope with every day of their lives.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 August 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
but to a person who feels themselves a burden to society such a little thing as having to prove they don't have to wear a face mask could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Do you object to people being scanned at an airport for weapons etc - there is no regard for disability there as safety is the overriding concern?

Covid19 is no different except it is an invisible killer - as has been proved by the worldwide death rate. 

If you are worried about people shopping without wearing a face covering exert your right and wait until those without face coverings have left the shop,

Why should I have to wait outside for heavens knows how long because some people are deliberately flouting the rules?

At the moment - there is no way a shop can enforce the rule as there would be an outcry of "victimisation" should they attempt to do so.    A discreet exemption card could be issued without any need to mention the persons actual disability.

If somebody has proved they are exempt - that's fine by me.  My post is not aimed at the genuine - it's aimed at the people who are jumping on the bandwagon and pretending they are exempt to avoid wearing a mask.  In doing so they also give the genuinely exempt a bad name and create suspicion.

If verification were issued - if I saw somebody without a mask instore I would then know they were genuinely exempt

My local Aldi is quite a small store and to see 8 people without masks was questionable.  I have not encountered a single instance in the larger supermarkets nor in B & Q.

Aldi is the only store here who no longer has an attendant on duty controlling admission - I wonder if there is a connection?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 August 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
Uptake on wearing masks hereaboots very high. Have yet to see anybody not compliant. Some shops have the staff back wearing them as visors not good enough! Must be a long day!

Skoosh.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 August 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Uptake on wearing masks hereaboots very high. Have yet to see anybody not compliant. Some shops have the staff back wearing them as visors not good enough! Must be a long day!

Skoosh.

Same around here - pretty much everyone is wearing a face covering and I'm happy to give the others the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 August 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
I guess there must be a higher proportion of 'disabled' people in Britain than in Ecuador.  Fancy coming across eight of them, all young and all with respiratory disablement, in one store at the same time.  Here, everyone wears a mask when out in public, even the very, very sketchy family? [or is it an association of some kind?] of drug dealers and scammers who live in the abandoned building a half block up the street. 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 August 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
but to a person who feels themselves a burden to society such a little thing as having to prove they don't have to wear a face mask could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Do you object to people being scanned at an airport for weapons etc - there is no regard for disability there as safety is the overriding concern?

Covid19 is no different except it is an invisible killer - as has been proved by the worldwide death rate.[/quote]

I cannot believe you cannot see the difference between scanning everyone passing through an airport or scanning a random sample of people at an airport and demanding that every exempt person has to prove that have a condition that exempts them from wearing a face covering.
One is random and untargeted  the other selective and discrimanatory.

If you are worried about people shopping without wearing a face covering exert your right and wait until those without face coverings have left the shop,

Why should I have to wait outside for heavens knows how long because some people are deliberately flouting the rules?

You would not have to that would be your free choice, you could choose just to keep clear of anyone not wearing a face covering, it's very simple really.

Of course a few people may be flouting the rules, but it is possible every one of those people you have seen has a genuine reason not to wear a face covering.
Perhaps you would be happy if everyone carried one of the “official exemption” cards-
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ptq/
There you are print your own then you will not have to wear a face covering. Does that make you happy, does that make you safer,?
Pity it is not worth the paper it is printed on as everyone could print their own card.
You see where the problem is to be worth anything at all the cards would have to be only available after an examination to ensure the person requires to be exempt.

At the moment - there is no way a shop can enforce the rule as there would be an outcry of "victimisation" should they attempt to do so.    A discreet exemption card could be issued without any need to mention the persons actual disability.

If somebody has proved they are exempt - that's fine by me.  My post is not aimed at the genuine - it's aimed at the people who are jumping on the bandwagon and pretending they are exempt to avoid wearing a mask.  In doing so they also give the genuinely exempt a bad name and create suspicion.

If verification were issued - if I saw somebody without a mask instore I would then know they were genuinely exempt

No your post is discriminating directly against “the genuine” as you call them, as you would require them to undergo medical tests for them to mean anything. Of course those tests would be done out of your sight and therefore out of your conscious, therefore you would not feel guilty about having those tests done.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 15 August 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
I despair about the state of paranoia in the UK regarding Covid. It is clear that the death rate is very low and decreasing and that a high proportion of new infections are lacking in any significant symptoms. The Government have been forced to admit that they have been falsely inflating death figures. The average age of those who have died is in the mid 80s and even then it is accompanied with comorbidities.

Despite this fear still stalks the streets, much of our healthcare system is barely operating, thousands of jobs are lost every week, our young people face a bleak future, our economy is devastated; the hugely negative effects of the draconian measures taken to deal with an illness now demonstrably far less serious than feared back in March will be with us for many years. As for face masks frankly they are prolonging the misery while almost certainly conferring no benefit.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.