Author Topic: Diary Saturday 15th August  (Read 436 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Saturday 15th August
« on: Saturday 15 August 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Slept very late this morning, took ages to wake myself properly and had a dull headache, not something I suffer from often. It was an overcast sky but at least it wasn't drizzling or misty. Stayed where I was for a while, started a new book. The one I finished yesterday was very good, Doggerland by Ben Smith  it was really unusual, I like to try something different.

Eventually got up and went out for my walk, it was quite pleasant out, too damp to go down the narrow path. Thought the walk would clear my head but it didn't, had a sandwich when I got home and resorted to paracetamol. In the event I felt rough all day, as if I had a cold coming on but I haven't been near enough to anyone to catch one. Wondered if I'd been dehydrated but I think it's unlikely, perhaps it's my body reacting to my brain getting in a tizzy.

Read the further diary entries for yesterday on Rootschat and felt very touched by the kind and supportive comments in response to mine.

Signed up for Tesco delivery saver, didn't know till now what it was about. It worked out well immediately as when I looked to see if I could find a one hour slot instead of the flexible one I booked for Thursday, one became available that hadn't been before. Joining will save me money.

Put some soda crystals down the bathroom drains and flushed down with hot water. Put some washing in the machine. Went out in the garden, the grass was too wet to put the weed and feed on. Deadheaded the flowers, the petunias hadn't enjoyed the weather at all. Was going to take some cuttings from other plants but it started to rain, wasn't forecast.
Came inside , took the washing out of the machine and hung it indoors to dry. Took the detergent drawer out of the washer and cleaned it out, seems to gather so much gunge regardless of using powder or liquid detergent. Put the machine back on for a maintenance wash.
Missed the first half hour of The Curse of the Wererabbit! Watched the rest of it, I love Wallace and Gromit.

Didn't have much appetite so just did a jacket potato for tea with tuna and some tomatoes. Watched some more TV.

Hope it's been a good day for others, I think the heavy cloud has been quite widespread across Britain.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Saturday 15th August
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 20 01:53 BST (UK) »
Slept well and woke to an overcast day.   I'm told there was some light rain during the night.  With us as a family meeting at my sisters today (in the garden) to celebrate brother in law's birthday my sister was anxious as forecast was for rain showers all afternoon.  This had been forecast for last 4 days.   Checked weather again just before I left and now it stated thunderstorm at 3pm.   However, no surprise then when I say a) there was no storm and b) no rain showers either.   Forecast for Sunday is thunderstorms between mid-day and 1pm.   Mmm.........

It was so nice seeing all the family together for the first time since March.  Stephen thoroughly enjoyed his day.   He started the BBQ and then niece's husband took over.   A great time had by all.

Got home around 8pm, dabbled on PC for a while and did a bit of the jigsaw.   All in all a lazy evening.

Downstairs neighbour was happy to take on all the watering in the evening and I could see that he had recently done it when I got home.   A little RC and then I think I'll go to bed.   Feeling a little weary.

Night, night.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Well it is now Sunday ,and a bit special for me,67 years ago ,also a Sunday,
August 16 th 1953 was the first time I went out with the young man who I eventually married three years later.
A lovely sunny evening ,we went to a posh cinema  in the centre of Manchester.
He suggested we walk home as it was so nice ,well I had stiletto heels on and
The pavements were for the most part still flags ,my heels got stuck a few times ,he wriggled them free whilst I balanced on one leg ,he replaced my shoe and said the first time “ Haven’t you got nice feet!”
I thought ,well that is original!
The rest is history.

Had a nice walk in the cemetery today ,some lovely children from a large family were there.So clean and polite, there are nine children in the family and every day five washing lines are full .
I don’t know how the mother manages.
Made a nice sultana loaf and put orange zest in ,a nice hint of orange.
Small oven is a bit fast ,next time I will  lower the temperature a little.

Just watched some old ‘ello’ello episodes, they were so funny.

Grand daughter sent video of her icing a cake for someone ,she is good and people are giving her orders,
My grandchildren are such hard workers ,do lots besides their jobs.
She has a year then her degree in Accountancy.
Has done it on day release ,from her job , has taken longer but earned whilst doing it.

Hope things get sorted for students ,how disappointing for all of them.

Hope everyone is OK,the averages are slowly rising again.
I understand how difficult it is but also rather selfish- on the face of it- for people to rush back from France ,they have been there and may well be infected already but now they have escaped quarantine.
Surely they will be monitored .

Not sure what I will do tomorrow,little girl of a helpful neighbour is six this week . I had both her parents as pupils .
Can’t think what to get as a little present.
She and her little sister shout to me over the lane .
I will think of something.
So not much news ,hope you all have a good day tomorrow?
Goodnight.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
What lovely happy memories for you Viktoria, I can just picture it.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales