Author Topic: Does anyone have access to Flintshire PR's ?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have access to Flintshire PR's ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one baptism for an Emma Vaughan in the Flintshire baptisms :

Emma Vaughan 5 June 1840 at Bodfary , daughter of David ( farmer) & Ann.

The "Abode" is given as "Lleweny" - bottom left corner    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102342354

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 November 20 12:07 GMT (UK) »
An Emma Vaughan married Emmanuel Smith 1867. In 1871 she is with hubby and 2 children in Bodfari - one a  son age 3, name William Vaughan Smith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 November 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
William Vaughan 17 October 1858 at Hope , Flintshire , son of Emma Vaughan of Caergwrle

Not what you wanted to hear  ???

An Emma Vaughan married Emmanuel Smith 1867. In 1871 she is with hubby and 2 children in Bodfari - one a  son age 3, name William Vaughan Smith

So this one was born 1868 not 1858  ???

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 November 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
When I read "William Vaughan Smith" instant reaction was that I'd found the '58 birth - 'til I read along the line and spotted "3" not the "13" I was expecting. A "3" clearly, no mistaking.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 November 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
He's still with them on the 1881 as William Smith, aged 13. I though the 3 on the 1871 might have been an error in when the info was  transcribed from the original schedule to the book but no.

I've looked for burials but nothing showing.

The only possible that I can find on the 1871 is the one mentioned in the first post with Griffith and Sarah Jones and step daughter, Jane. It doesn't say that Jane was his mother, only that he was the grandson of Griffith. Emma's marriage cert to Emmanuel Smith might be worth obtaining to see if she was of the same family.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 November 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Free reg has the Vaughan/Smith marriage at St Stephen, Bodfari. The Church entry gives her father as David Vaughan, publican. Ann Vaughan was a witness.

Add

This could be the Emma that Christine found:

I can only find one baptism for an Emma Vaughan in the Flintshire baptisms :

Emma Vaughan 5 June 1840 at Bodfary , daughter of David ( farmer) & Ann.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 November 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry folks but I've gone back as far as I can with this one.

I have the Marriage Certificate for William VAUGHAN and Sarah Frances METCALFE in 1885, I’ve laboured long and hard to find his father, but, unfortunately, he didn’t appear anywhere, and without this information I couldn’t go back further down the VAUGHAN line, which is very disappointing and frustrating.  However, these things happen (especially in Welsh Genealogy) and I’ve had to admit defeat and accept the inevitable on this particular occasion.

The two main reasons for this are, 1) Williams’s mother (Jane VAUGHAN) was single when she had him around 1859 in Hope, and 2), also, she was illegitimate when she was baptized on 22 July 1838 in Hope. Then to add to the confusion, after she married John HUGHES in 1863, William variously appears as HUGHES & JONES in various Census Returns, ‘muddying the waters’ even more.  He even gave his  Father’s name as John VAUGHAN on his Marriage Certificate, when in fact, his step-father John HUGHES was actually a Witness.. So you can see what a minefield it’s been trying to get a handle on the correct information.

The JONES name came about because he spent most of his life with his Grandmother, Sarah JONES (nee’ VAUGHAN) who  married Griffith JONES in 1844 in Great Boughton, and Jane VAUGHAN was her illegitimate daughter born in 1838 in Hope. Consequently, it wasn’t possible to find Sarah VAUGHAN’s father either because she was born around 1814, and official records didn’t begin until 1837. 

Thanks again everyone.
Anne
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)