Author Topic: Gay Street, Hulme  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Gay Street, Hulme
« on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have or can anyone point me in the right direction for a pic of Gay Street, Hulme please? Can't see anything on the Manchester City Council Local Images.

Thanks
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

guest259648

Re: Gay Street, Hulme
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Please can you point me towards a map which shows Gay Street Hulme please? (I know you're asking for a pic, but I can't even find the road).

It seems to have been in a block adjacent to Radnor Street, close to Carlisle Street, Somerset Street etc, but was demolished...

Thank you.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
I hope this link works.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103809

It’s one of the maps from the National Library of Scotland. I did a search for Hulme, Manchester and went for the one published 1909.

Now if you look for the Calvary Barracks (almost in the middle) and then follow City Road until it meets Great Jackson Street. At one side of the junction you see Hamilton and Leinster Streets and at the other side Gay and Rex Streets.

Have you got ancestors in Gay Street. Mine were at No. 20.

:)

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

guest259648

« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
I hope this link works.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103809

It’s one of the maps from the National Library of Scotland. I did a search for Hulme, Manchester and went for the one published 1909.

Now if you look for the Calvary Barracks (almost in the middle) and then follow City Road until it meets Great Jackson Street. At one side of the junction you see Hamilton and Leinster Streets and at the other side Gay and Rex Streets.

Have you got ancestors in Gay Street. Mine were at No. 20.

:)

Luzzu

Yes the link works and I'm delighted! Thank you.

I'm chasing a family who lived at 17 Gay Street in 1871, this is James GRADY [tailor] and wife Mary, with son John Kenny and dau. Margaret Kenny, Mary's children. (Margaret Kenny married Charles DUNCKER in 1885.)

John Grady and Mary Kenny were married in 1868, Manchester. I'm trying to find out Mary's previous name... I guess she could have had the children as an unmarried mother, but it's more likely she married a Kenny about 1860. She was born about 1837 in Ireland.

Who were your ancestors at no. 20 Gay street, and in which years were they there?
D :-)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were the Grants. They were Irish as well. They were definitely in Gay Street by 1903 having moved from Bradshaw Street a couple of streets away. My 2 x gt grandfather, Michael Grant, died at Number 20 in 1905. His wife continued living there until 1914 when she died. Michael’s parents arrived in Manchester in the 1840’s as they were married there in 1848.

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulciebun
According to Lancsbmd Mary’s maiden name was O’Neill
Regards
Beannie
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester

guest259648

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
According to Lancsbmd Mary’s maiden name was O’Neill
Regards
Beannie

Hi Beannie, thank you...
I haven't seen this record [O'Neill]... please show me where to view it? (Getting excited!)
D x

guest259648

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were the Grants. They were Irish as well. They were definitely in Gay Street by 1903 having moved from Bradshaw Street a couple of streets away. My 2 x gt grandfather, Michael Grant, died at Number 20 in 1905. His wife continued living there until 1914 when she died. Michael’s parents arrived in Manchester in the 1840’s as they were married there in 1848.

Luzzu
The Irish did seem to cluster together - they often travelled in pairs, I've found, used the same boarding houses and supported one another when in a 'foreign' land...

Just been looking at a Kenny in Bradshaw Street, there's a photo of the houses (have you seen it?); I'm wondering how these generations coped without the sight of a green plant or tree, it's all bricks and cobbles and little else.

What did your Grants do for a living, in Manchester?
D

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
There’s a better map here - https://luna.manchester.ac.uk/luna/servlet/view/search?q=five%20feet&sort=reference_number%2Ctitle&os=0&pgs=50&cic=maps002%7E1%7E1

This is the most detailed set of maps I’ve ever found on line for the centre of Manchester.

You’ll find Gay Street in the NW corner of sheet 38.