Author Topic: Census 1870's  (Read 1780 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census 1870's
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
The brikwall link does have this item:
If a researcher is faced with a couple who were granted a marriage dispensation for a fairly close relationship (ie: second degree consanguinity), it might be worth the effort to try and review some of this correspondence between the priest and the Bishop.
Might this be worth following up - the parish or diocese may have kept the records.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
wow thanks for that, was interesting info.

I think I def need the toolkit as it is quite difficult, a lot harder than English or Scottish!

Majority of Irish population belonged to a religious denomination which was discriminated against until well into 19th century. Restrictions were gradually eased from late 18thC onwards. The Established Church was the Church of Ireland (Anglican).
There's the problem of missing church registers - existence of Catholic ones pre- mid 19thC. patchy outside cities and big towns and many C. of I. registers destroyed in 1921.
Also no complete surviving census until 1901 as already mentioned.

This Ireland Reaching Out XO Insight article on naming and baptism traditions in Ireland has some information about about marriage, e.g. typical ages.
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irelandxo-insight-irish-naming-and-baptism-traditions
There are other informative Insight articles under "News" tab. New ones are added each month.

Cowban

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Are the Diocese etc records online or would I have to write directly to them?

Also found out that bptsm for Patrick (1822 Ballingary)  is in the next Parish to Kilenaule where the marriage took place so that cld be heading in right direction. That mapis really helpful as I don't really know much about parishes etc in Ireland.

It would make him 23 at time of marriage to Mary Pender/Pendergast which wld be abt right for a first marriage I think

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Not many RC records are online. I have had some limited success [for baptisms only I confess] by writing with a return paid envelope [international postage voucher] with a euro donation for the church enclosed. I don't expect church clergy to have time to go through records & volunteers thin on the ground. Perhaps a letter  with reply paid envelope in the first instance to the diocese office to find out if they hold any dispensation records from the mid 19th century.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
The brikwall link does have this item:
If a researcher is faced with a couple who were granted a marriage dispensation for a fairly close relationship (ie: second degree consanguinity), it might be worth the effort to try and review some of this correspondence between the priest and the Bishop.
Might this be worth following up - the parish or diocese may have kept the records.

https://www.irishfamilyhistorycentre.com/article/always-look-twice
According to this, Irish dioceses didn't usually keep applications. What survives is usually in the parish. Some parishes had dispensation registers. There was usually less information than in the marriage register. They were administration records - include fees for instance. 
A footnote to the article says there is limited evidence that some applications survive in Catholic dioceses overseas.

Marriage dispensations in this discussion on Ireland Reaching Out forum, with more links.
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/translation-marriage-record

The links about dispensations I put in my previous post are, I think, all from Canadian FH websites and may relate to Catholic records in Canada.

Edit. Corrected my 2nd link.
Cowban

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
So it looks like we will have to show any connection the old-fashioned way .. ;)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
I don't expect church clergy to have time to go through records & volunteers thin on the ground. Perhaps a letter  with reply paid envelope in the first instance to the diocese office to find out if they hold any dispensation records from the mid 19th century.

Clergy and volunteers of all denominations have been trying to keep their parishes functioning and minister to their congregations under Covid restrictions. They don't have time for trivialities like family history enquiries. Their priorities are the living and the recently dead. Many clergy and volunteers are elderly and are therefore now restricted in what they are allowed to do.
If you want information about whether the parishes you're interested in have dispensation registers, I suggest you contact a local family history organisation.
Searching for a dispensation register may be a fruitless task and even if you find it, there's likely no useful information in it. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Also found out that bptsm for Patrick (1822 Ballingary)  is in the next Parish to Kilenaule where the marriage took place so that cld be heading in right direction. That mapis really helpful as I don't really know much about parishes etc in Ireland.

I suggest that you do some reading about church parishes and land divisions such as civil parishes and townlands on Irish Toolkit and Ireland Reaching Out Insight (articles explain townlands and different types of parishes, C. of I., R.C. and civil) before you delve any further. It's very easy to go off on the wrong track.
Sean Wilson's website is useful for locating places. There's an R.C. parish search function. Put in name of parish and county or diocese and it will show the civil parish. Other search options include townland, registration district, place-name, C. of I. parish.
https://www.swilson.info/index.php
My knowledge of Tipperary is limited to a visit many years ago.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
If you want information about whether the parishes you're interested in have dispensation registers, I suggest you contact a local family history organisation.

Alternatively you could post a specific enquiry about existence of dispensation registers in those parishes on the Tipperary board here (include a link to this thread) or on the Tipperary board or parish  board of Ireland Reaching Out Message Board. Ireland Reaching Out is organised by civil parish. To  identify the civil parish see SWilson.Info in my previous post. Ireland Reaching Out is free to join.
Local FH groups may be on Facebook. 
Cowban