Author Topic: Whyte/White Family in Tomregan near Ballyconnell, Cavan Co, IE  (Read 881 times)

Offline Cynthia Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whyte/White Family in Tomregan near Ballyconnell, Cavan Co, IE
« on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for the John White family who lived in Doon townland, near Ballyconnell, Cavan Co, IE early 1800's!  I know that he married Elizabeth "Elinor"___________there and 5 children were born there: 
Daniel (my line: B/1800), Robert, Edward, James and Elinor (B/1806).  He had two brothers, Andrew
and William.  They were all stonemasons and John and family came into Greene Co, PA, USA about
1816!  On dna results, a Thomas H. Galligan matches my White/Whytes.  Did people change surnames in that county of IE due to religious times?
Thank you in advance, Cindy Whyte Jones

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte/White Family in Tomregan near Ballyconnell, Cavan Co, IE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
What religion were the family?

Offline Cynthia Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
Church of IE

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
Civil Parish Tomregan
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/tullyhaw/tomregan/ballyconnell/doon/
List of surviving Anglican parish records page 95
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf
Work to put there online has started but no date when yet
also check the colour code, in this case no colour.
Btw its Co.Cavan not Cavan Co.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 20 05:20 BST (UK) »
There’s a copy of Tomregan Church of Ireland’s records in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.  Baptisms start in 1797, marriages in 1802 and burials in 1805. They are not on-line there so you or a researcher would need to go in person to look them up. However you may get John White’s wife’s name from that.

There are unlikely to be any other records in Ireland that would mention the  family, if they had left by 1816.

Griffiths Valuation for 1857 lists an Isabella White in Doon. She had house 1d which was a labourers’s cottage, which is noted to be of “no value.” White is common name in the area but it’s also possible she’s a relation. She was probably a widow.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

By the 1911 census there were just 10 houses in Doon. 1 White family:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Ballyconnell/Doon/317258/

You ask if people changed names in that county because of religious times. The short answer is no.
Elwyn

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 September 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
I found a photo online (it’s not easy to see)  from Hallmark on this site sent me the link. The people on this headstone were cousins of my father. The stone was made by the White/Whyte family which mentions that they were stonemakers.
I believe the grave photo is from a graveyard in Redhills in County Cavan and deaths on stone are 1937 and 1944.
I thought this may help on your quest.

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Cynthia Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone and you are all right that is very hard to find records that early!  But I did get the Church of IE Ballyconnell records on line and it was back to 1818!  Nothing there but I was glad to see
the photo again!  I was there in May, 2018 and just love the country!  I guess that I should be very glad to have found two baptism record in that church which is so lovely inside!  Later, Cindy Whyte Jones