Author Topic: Peter McCallum - Merchant in Greenock  (Read 2223 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Peter McCallum - Merchant in Greenock
« on: Monday 17 August 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
My 4xGreat Grandfather Peter McCallum was born around 1817.

From his brother Robert's marriage cert I know he was likely born in Tradeston, Lanarkshire and parents are Peter McCallum (an Auctioneer) and Elizabeth McFadyen.

Elizabeth McFadyen was born in Paisley in 1792.

The difficult part I have had is there is no marriage between Elizabeth and Peter and I can't find the baptisms of Peter or Robert.

I have managed to trace Elizabeth line and have confirmed her with DNA matches. I can see where the Mccallum line branches to, it's just filling in my possible Peter McCallum.

One candidate stands out Peter McCallum born 1781 to James McCallum and Janet Tosh in Greenock. The issue is however this Peter marries Margaret Park and is having children with her.

But I keep getting drawn back to him as with an occupation of Merchant and being in the right area he is the one that stands out.

Which would mean my 4xGreat Grandfather and his brother Robert (could even be more Children) are the result of an affair that Elizabeth had with Peter. It would explain the no marriage and no baptisms.

So with James McCallums wife being quite an unusual name - Tosh. I decided to check my dna matches and viola I have a couple of different matches that connect to her grandparents. This can't be a coincidence?

But is there any records that might exist to confirm any of this, did the Parish find out would there be a record there? The fact Elizabeth gave them their fathers surname would tell me he acknowledged them. I have found Peter Mccallum (Merchants) will, but he doesn't name Robert or Peter in there from what I can see, it's hard to read and is many pages. My 4xgreat grandfather was deceased at the time, but Robert was still alive. Maybe his wife and other kids didn't know?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've been stuck on this for years and finally get a bit of a breakthrough to then get stuck again.

Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McCallum - Merchant in Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Peter McCallum , merchant , aged 60 is recorded on the 1841 Census at Springkell Street , Greenock.
With him are James McCallum aged 25 and Thos.( Thomas) McCallum aged 19 - both merchants - could they be his sons ?
Also Janet McCallum aged 40 and Mary Thomson  both servants .
All are born in Renfrewshire.

Where is your Peter McCallum born 1817 to a Peter McCallum and  Elizabeth McFadyen  on this Census?

Looby  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Peter McCallum , merchant , aged 60 is recorded on the 1841 Census at Springkell Street , Greenock.
With him are James McCallum aged 25 and Thos.( Thomas) McCallum aged 19 - both merchants - could they be his sons ?
Also Janet McCallum aged 40 and Mary Thomson  both servants .
All are born in Renfrewshire.

Where is your Peter McCallum born 1817 to a Peter McCallum and  Elizabeth McFadyen  on this Census?

He is in Leith with his wife. I’ve managed to confirm Robert is his brother from dna matches as I have direct dna matches all through Elizabeth McFadyens line. It’s just establishing the Peter McCallum father (merchant)

As mentioned he or Robert Won’t be with Peter in the census as my theory is he never married Elizabeth and Robert and Peter are the result of an affair. No marriage exists and no baptisms.

Going by that theory I’ve looked at his mother Janet Tosh and have dna matches to her. But am trying to see if I can confirm anyway with parish records. Maybe Kirk sessions?

I’ve contact a descendant of Peter McCallum and Margaret Park in the hope they have done a genealogy dna test to try and confirm. As child of those would be half sibling to my Peter.

Thanks Forisn for linking to my thread.

I originally found a possible marriage of Peter to an Elizabeth that fit but surname is Collins and nowhere does Collins tie it so it has to be a red herring that marriage.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am thinking Elizabeth may have died young too.

I know my Peter Born 1817 was in Falkirk in 1840 just prior to 1841 census

As his son Henry James Laurence McCallum is Born there, but Peter married his wife Harriet in Leith. Which tells me he was likely living in Falkirk before leith.

I think I have found Elizabeth’s brother in Falkirk James mcFadyen and he has a son Laurence. Maybe that’s where the James Laurence part comes from.  Perhaps he lived with his uncle when his mother died.   

It’s just confirming my theory which I am convinced is correct. That Peter Born 1781 a merchant is his father. Everything so far fits. Other than of course he is married to someone else. I dna connect to that Peters line and dna connect to Janet Tosh his mother. Seems convincing right?

Merchant could easily be an Auctioner. If you google Peter McCallum merchant Greenock their is a book about the family company. Auctioneer sounds fitting.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Prior to 1855 and statutory registration coming in to force , births, marriages and deaths could be recorded in Parish Records (OPRs ) , however there was no obligation to do this.
Because no marriage record can be found between Peter McCallum and Elizabeth McFadyen doesn't mean there was never a couple with those names married.
Some Old Parish records have been lost or destroyed . What Scotland's People have are all the surviving OPRs .
Also not all BMDs were recorded in the OPRs in the first place.
This would also apply to the birth records of the two brothers Peter and Robert.

Whilst I'm not saying Peter McCallum in Greenock can be ruled out as a potential father , I think it is far more likely another Peter McCallum is the man you are looking for.
You mention Peter is in Leitram in 1841. Do you mean Leith in Midlothian?
Is he a 24 year old shoemaker ?

Looby :)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Prior to 1855 and statutory registration coming in to force , births, marriages and deaths could be recorded in Parish Records (OPRs ) , however there was no obligation to do this.
Because no marriage record can be found between Peter McCallum and Elizabeth McFadyen doesn't mean there was never a couple with those names married.
Some Old Parish records have been lost or destroyed . What Scotland's People have are all the surviving OPRs .
Also not all BMDs were recorded in the OPRs in the first place.
This would also apply to the birth records of the two brothers Peter and Robert.

Whilst I'm not saying Peter McCallum in Greenock can be ruled out as a potential father , I think it is far more likely another Peter McCallum is the man you are looking for.
You mention Peter is in Leitram in 1841. Do you mean Leith in Midlothian?
Is he a 24 year old shoemaker ?

Looby :)

Thank you

Yes Leith sorry (darn auto correct) lol

I’ve been stuck on this for years until recently when I cracked his mother side from the dna match.

Believe me I’m aware many records are lost or just not there . It’s caused me lots of brick walls lol.

However his occupation is fitting and the dna matches to his mother. I’m really convinced he is the father. I’ve looked at all other likely candidates and can’t dna match to anyone on mother’s side. So kept getting this Peter but was put off that he was married to someone else. But that means nothing.

I suppose If I plot his line out further and get dna matches to other parts of his mothers side that would confirm for sure. 
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert on DNA  ;D but I would assume if you could establish some sort of DNA match to Peter McCallum of Greenock's descendants that would help your connection.

Where is your Peter in 1851 ? Does he have more children than Henry James Laurence McCallum?  Where and when does Peter die ?
Sorry for all the questions- just trying to get the bigger picture so I can maybe help.
James McFadyen and his son Laurence in Stirling - did you find them on a Census? I can't find them  ???

I'm not sure about a merchant and auctioneer being similar - although I suppose Peter McCallum may have auctioned goods. The business is iron and nail merchants? Ideally placed in Greenock for shipbuilding.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert on DNA  ;D but I would assume if you could establish some sort of DNA match to Peter McCallum of Greenock's descendants that would help your connection.

Where is your Peter in 1851 ? Does he have more children than Henry James Laurence McCallum?  Where and when does Peter die ?
Sorry for all the questions- just trying to get the bigger picture so I can maybe help.
James McFadyen and his son Laurence in Stirling - did you find them on a Census? I can't find them  ???

I'm not sure about a merchant and auctioneer being similar - although I suppose Peter McCallum may have auctioned goods. The business is iron and nail merchants? Ideally placed in Greenock for shipbuilding.

I think my Peter died bet 1841 and 1851. I can’t find him or Harriet. Both their children are in St Cuthbert workhouse Henry and my 3rd great grandfather William Gilchrist McCallum.

Leith appears to be missing a batch of records for that period as I know Harriets father died in there too and his burial/death can’t be found either.

I did find James McFadyen but have lost it. Let me see if I can find it again.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London