Author Topic: The Royal Sun (Rutherfords) public house in Crook, Co Durham  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
The Royal Sun (Rutherfords) public house in Crook, Co Durham
« on: Monday 17 August 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
A long shot here

The Royal Sun Pub in Crook, Was once ran by my great Uncle Alexander B Rutherford, circa 1900, I have came across some very faded photos of the pub, both as the Royal Sun circa 1970, and when it was called Rutherfords

I dont suppose any one has any photos of the pub when it was “Rutherfords” the faded copy I have looks like a copy of a copy, of a copy, on it it has a man standing outside, who I suspect is my great uncle

Or can point me to a local history site in that area

Andi
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Sun (Rutherfords) public house in Crook, Co Durham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Can’t help with pictures but I don’t think your G Uncle was there in 1900.

Durham Co. Advertiser of 8 Nov 1907 has an advert for the sale of the Royal Sun Hotel Crook ~~ lately occupied by Mr E. W. BURNS. XXXX wrong. The sale was at the Royal Sun but not OF the Royal Sun, see later.

Daily Gazette fo Middlesbrough 8 Sep 1934
THORNYCROFT WAGON For sale; in perfect running order. Apply to A. B. RUTHERFORD, Royal Sun Inn, Crook.

Added - 1911 Alexander Burns RUTHERFORD was age 38 and at The Royal Sun.
Electoral Roll shows that in 1905 he was there in the Royal Hotel and Sun Inn.
Looks like Alexander died in 1937 Easington District. Probate Index says Alexander Burns RUTHERFORD of Glenburn Haswell co. Durham died 29 Nov 1937 Probate Durham 24 Feb 1938 to Arthur LAX ironmonger and Leonard Cecil WAUD bank manager. Effects £1316 14s 7d. 

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you
Thats really interesting, its little snippits like this that add to making people real
Ive found out he was a freemason in willington lodge
All quite interesting especially as my sister lives around the corner, her daughter got married in the church across the road from the pub, they used ti live in Willington.
I have a jug from the pub
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Francis Frith Collection?

I note that in Kelly's 1914 Directory it states " Rutherford Alexander Burns, Sun Inn 9 Church Street and mineral water manufacturer".

Article in the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 23 March 1938 has this re his will

" Alexandert Burns Rutherford , of Glenburn, Haswell, for many years principal of  a mineral water factory in Crook distict ans also associated with the wholesale confectionary and licensed victuallers' trade, who died on November 29, has left £1,316 14s 7d with net personalty of £271 5s 5d".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
William

Thank you, I didnt know about the mineral water bit, and it has a better death date than I have, mine was an approximation

I will look at Friths, it would be nice to see a better photo and see what he looed like, we have very few photos because on of my uncles burnt them all.

Thank you Andi
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I missed out the bit in Kelly's which states that the mineral water factory was in Bridge Street.

There are also newspaper articles from 1908 stating that he was charged with selling 2 bottles of whisky and a gallon of rum to Andrew Rutherford, innkeeper, Fir Tree. Then in 1913 he was charged with not keeping a register of employee under the age of 18 ( this article has been poorly copied and becomes very difficult to read).

Newcastle Journal Weds. 22 Nov 1944  also has the death notice of his widow

" Rutherford. Whitburn, 3 Huntcliffe Ave., South Bents, Nov 21 Emily, widow of Alexander Burns Rutherford (late of Crook). Ser. Easington Village Parish Ch, 11, Thurs.".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 13 April 1931
Juror Fined
Mr A. B. RUTHERFORD, of Crook, who had been summoned as a Grand Juror, did not put in an appearance after the business was completed, and he was fined £5.

Northern Daily Mail Thursday 2 Dec 1937
The death occurred at Crook yesterday, after a brief illness, of Mr Joseph STEPHENSON, licensee of the Sun Inn. On the same day the funeral took place of his predecessor at the Sun Inn, Mr. A. B. RUTHERFORD.

Added - I was confused as to the name of the Inn/Hotel he ran. This clears it up -

Durham County Advertiser Friday 24 April 1903
Property Sale at Crook -
An important property sale took place on Wednesday afternoon, at the Sun Inn, Crook, Mr Wm. PALLISTER being the auctioneer. There was a large attendance of buyers and some very exiting bidding, the whole lots being sold to close a trust. The Sun Inn, Crook, sold to Mr RUTHERFORD, of the Royal Hotel, Crook, for £2,900; two freehold cottages in Emmerson Street, with a coach house, sold to Mr FRYER, Crook for £235 etc.

I made a mistake earlier - the 1907 sale was held at the Royal Sun but not the sale of the Royal Sun, it was a sale of some different business premisses.

This site may be useful - http://crookhistorysociety.btck.co.uk

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
LOL,

This is awesome I do have an interesting family after all

So he stole from his brother pub (my Great Grandfather) Duke of York Inn, Fir Tree Harperley,   the cad,  Which again is brilliant, I knew he had a pub but didn't have verification and CoViD stopped me researching. 

Funny though how two Blacksmiths end up in pubs

Dont you just love stories like this in family history it makes them seem like people.

I looks like he had a pub previous, but fancy stealing from your brother sounds like a bit of a rogue does great uncle Alex

Reading previous messages looks like he was selling a waggon of some form

I really really appreciate this, I used to spend hours doing look ups for other people and now know how appreciative they must have been, and any snippets appreciated
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton