Author Topic: Royal Artillery career path  (Read 588 times)

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Royal Artillery career path
« on: Monday 17 August 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
This is probably a really obvious question for anybody who has Army connections so I apologise in advance.
My 3xgreat-grandfather was a Major-General in the Royal Artillery. In the early 1820s, he seems to have been in the No. 7 Company, 8th Battalion; in 1841 he was "Colonel of the 6th Battalion, Adjutant's Detachment".
My question is this: are soldiers moved from one company or battalion to another in the same way that sailors serve on various ships throughout their careers?
Thank you for your help.
Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery career path
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
Soldiers, that is the non commissioned ranks, tended to stay with their units although there were obviously many many exceptions.

Officers, as your relative, on the other hand would move more frequently as they move up the promotion ladder. In 1820 he was  probably a major, he has moved up the ranks by 1841 and later has achieved Major General's rank.  It may be possible to track his career in parts through the promotions published in the London Gazette and the Army Lists, both on line.  Would you like to give his name?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, Max. My 3-xgreat-grandfather was Richard John James Lacy.
I have dates for his career from Cadet in 1795 to Maj.-Gen. in 1852 when he died.
My reason for asking the question really relates to the Napoleonic War. I have read that, in 1813 , after the Battle of Ordal, the Anglo-Allied Army in Eastern Spain was broken up. Some troops were sent to reinforce the garrison on Sicily; others joined Wellington's army. I don't know which category my 3xgreat-grandfather falls into.
Also I have a gap in his record between 1814 and July 1821. The only detail that I have for this period is that he was appointed Deputy Judge Advocate for the court-martial of Lt.-Col. John Midgley, Commandant of Tilbury Fort, in 1816. This suggests that he may have been back at Woolwich during this period.
Thanks for your assistance. My "Maj-Gen" is an interesting person and I am building up quite a picture of his life.

Angela
Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
Splendid Gazette entry in 1841 allowing him to wear the insignia of the decorations conferred on him by the Queen Regent of Spain for his services - wonderful reading!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
My reason for asking the question really relates to the Napoleonic War. I have read that, in 1813 , after the Battle of Ordal, the Anglo-Allied Army in Eastern Spain was broken up. Some troops were sent to reinforce the garrison on Sicily; others joined Wellington's army. I don't know which category my 3xgreat-grandfather falls into.

Do you have his military record sheet from the National Archives? He says that after serving in Spain 1812-14 he then joined the army at Bayonne in France.

If you don't have the record you can download it. His pages are  3-7 of  WO-76-360_3.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Also I have a gap in his record between 1814 and July 1821. The only detail that I have for this period is that he was appointed Deputy Judge Advocate for the court-martial of Lt.-Col. John Midgley, Commandant of Tilbury Fort, in 1816. This suggests that he may have been back at Woolwich during this period.

The record shows that he was not serving overseas in that period. His children Henry (1815) Catherine (1817) and Charlotte (1819) were all baptised at Gillingham so presumably that is where he was residing.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Have you also picked up his mention in the Allied Armies' Commander's despatch in the LG of 18 May 1813 when Captain of a brigade of artillery?

Almost certainly you have his will:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D10884
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. I had the info about his various battles in Spain but not the fact that he joined the Army in Bayonne. Will go and research that.
Also, what is the mention in dispatches? I don't seem to have that in my burgeoning folder!
He is a fascinating man and his family are equally interesting. My 2xgreat-grandfather, James John Lacy, joined the army but seems to have resigned in the 1830s, possibly on health grounds. I have a letter from his brother stating that "poor James suffers terribly with his rheumatism". Finding information about him is proving difficult so I thought I would concentrate on his father for the moment.
Two of RJJ Lacy's sons also became Majors-General (William and Richard Walter); another, Henry Hearne rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Subsequent generations include two more lieutenant-colonels and two recipients of the DSO.
I feel honoured to have such people in my ancestry.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
I made the assumption from what you have said that the reference in the despatch is to your relative
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16730/page/963.  You can no doubt see if it fits with what you have.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk