Author Topic: DNA match  (Read 1165 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 August 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am lucky that my cousin, who tested with Ancestry, shared his DNA result with me and I'm able to use his Raw DNA as a filter.  Sometimes when I check his 'DNA matches/hits' they don't show up on mine or our shared Auntie T's matches (whose DNA I manage and is in her 90s).  DNA is a funny thing and his line (Auntie T's older sister) must have taken those CMs forward.  DNA is a magical world which I don't understand, but try to work with  ;D
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
On a, slightly, different subject, though still relating to the August Ancestry changes, how is it that there are many examples of matches with, say 6.0 cm shared DNA across 1 segment, with longest segment 7cM??

I'm sure it will have been brought up already, it isn't an occasional fluke, but seems quite common!

I have't had time over the last month to read many posts, too busy working, enjoying my brother's visit from France (just missed quarantine), and incessant clicking, like a lab rat, on my 6-7cM matches, to read and think!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
It's on the other thread:

I've just found this from them:

In some cases, the length of the longest shared segment is greater than the total length of shared DNA. This is because we adjust the length of shared DNA to reflect DNA that is most likely shared from a recent ancestor. Sometimes, DNA can be shared for reasons other than recent ancestry, such as when two people share the same ethnicity or are from the same regions.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834432.msg7013635#msg7013635

and a discussion around it.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, actually posted this on the wrong thread - had intended to post on the ancestry/8cm thread - Sorry again,  must have been confusing, as really not the same topic at all. 
PS - thanks Gadget for the pointer to another discussion on the subject.

Looking for an emoji with blushing cheeks/embarrassment!

Ah, I see that would have been the correct thread, even though I might have 'forgotten' it was there!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
To return to the original question ~

The colour coding facility used to group suspected shared matches as being in the same line and the ability to make a note against a match  are probably the best tools that Ancestry offers. It would also be worth looking carefully at Common Ancestors and Thrulines. These are not always correct but a careful sift through is worthwhile.  Also, don't rely on the trees of matches. They, like many Ancestry trees, can have numerous errors. I tend to reconstruct  matches 'suspect' trees.

I have many Jones  ancestors scattered across Denbighshire, Merionethshire, Montgomeryshire and into Shropshire. I remember when I started my research, I was quite proud of not having any grandparents called Jones. I then found two great grandmothers with that surname and so the name multiplied and multiplied.  It was good to get to patronymics in some of the lines!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Beatle,

I don’t know if you have any older relatives who might test?

My late Mother took an Ancestry DNA test shortly before she died last year at 95 years. Thanks to her having done this, Ancestry marks new matches with ‘Mother’s side’ if they share DNA with her.

My sister and 2 maternal and 2 paternal 1st cousins also tested, and so I can detect to some extent who matches where...

As other people have already said, the ‘shared matches’ facility also helps to sort, and colour coding different Groups. Using the Search facility within matches, to search by Surname and Birth Location is useful too.

Best of luck anyway,
Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 September 20 02:21 BST (UK) »

I researched into matchimg descendants of my mothers
Concentrating on one  great grandparent  josephJONES  of Llanorman Denbighshire

Very lucky that some of the other great grandchildren from 3 different branches  born between 1925 + 1940 also took dna tests

I wa able to compare ful cousin .two half cousins and 3 second cousins matches linking to 4 of the children of Joseph
A lot of work building up trees woring out relationships with locked trees .buildind down descendants til thru lines showed etc

Then by looking at shared matches of all their shared matches could identify other potential descendants and with name connections have now got descendants of the other 2 children
One was a 3c3xR with small tree but the connection is correct

A lot of communication was involved I reckon I get 1 response for every 6 messages I send ,on Ancestry

There is a sub group of Llanorman Jones who match 3rd cousin or less where trees dont match up
Either illegitimacy or a false line being followed and copied by other users

I dont know if that will inspire you or put you off
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 September 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Since my last post in this thread on 17th August we have been looking through our Trees and the DNA matches and expanded the Trees by quite a bit.

Using the Shared Matches feature and Colour Coding the results has resulted in some interesting finds.

Particularly when I stand back and look at the Colour Coding then certain people are Shared over multiple Colour Coding Groups.

We have concentrated on these individuals and they in turn have in quite a few cases been found and a link to them and to others have been found.

Keep plodding away.