Author Topic: BURT & ROSS, Shetland  (Read 617 times)

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BURT & ROSS, Shetland
« on: Monday 17 August 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi - wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. I have been trying for years to find the parents of my GGG Grandfather John BURT (c1806 - 1848). He was a master mariner, and although he married in Wales to Jane SCOTT and his children were all born in Liverpool, his home port was Glasgow.

The only real hint to his parents are the name of his children, if they were named for their grandparents.

His children were:  Elizabeth Ann Burt (b1832).
                        Jane Scott Burt (named after his wife)
                      John James Burt
                       William Henry Burt (William, after his wife's father)

I am wondering if his parents may have been Elizabeth (there is no Elizabeth in his wife's family) and James.

If this is the case, a likely fit would be James BURT (1776 - 1846) and Elizabeth ROSS. This couple married in Lerwick, Shetland in 1804. They had a son John in 1805.  James was a soldier at the time of their marriage, and in the 1841 Census his occupation is "Army P" (Pensioner?).

So what I would like to know, is - what would a soldier have been doing in Shetland at that time? 
And how can I find out more information? I have already been through the links given on this site, and haven't found much more, so I wonder if James Burt was born elsewhere and ended up on Shetland through his military service.

If I can rule out this couple as my line, I will be able to move onto another one!!

Cheers
GG

Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURT & ROSS, Shetland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
The French War GG, garrison duties to discourage Napoleon!  ;D

A lot of Shetlanders were kidnapped by the press-gang and forced into the navy!

Skoosh.