Author Topic: Invitation to Edit F/Tree  (Read 591 times)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Invitation to Edit F/Tree
« on: Monday 17 August 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
My cousin,who is in Ausralia is in the process of "doing" her tree,which includes quite a lot of our mutual family,which I have told her to copy from mine initially to get started!.

She has 3 trees,with 6 or 7 people on them,1 of which is Public, somehow she has got in a real muddle,mixing up  her husbands family with ours and not including her father at all ???

She has asked me to edit it, but the "invitation" to access and edit is  just  not working(she insists she is doing it correctly!)

Has anyone used the facility recently , does the fact she is in Aus make a difference?
Can I do anything from this end(UK)?
Her sub is up tp date.

I am tempted to suggest she deletes all her trees and start again (I am not keen on being an editor in some elses' tree) but unless I can sort her out,the same thing will happen again!!

Kim

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to Edit F/Tree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
There are 3 Ancestry settings - Guest, Contributor and Editor. Once a person has been invited the setting can be changed to the level required. Contributor means you can add information, Editor means you can do that, but also remove anything and everything. 

I think you have been invited, but not granted permission. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kiltpin

She claims to have tried them,I cannot quite work out why it is not working ::)

Kim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
It could be that your e-mail address with Ancestry is different from the one that she is entering.  This has happened to me a couple of times. When the correct address is entered, everything works fine.

Gadget

Add - they send the invitation to whatever address she has entered. Check that that is the one Ancestry links your account to.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
I may be way off the mark in thinking that if you have a U.K. only subscription then you may be limited in accessing Ancestry Australia.

If all else fails she could create a Gedcom file and email it to you.

You can then import it, edit it and create another Gedcom and email that back to her.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
If you and your cousin both have a Skype account, it allows you to talk (with video) in real time. It also allows you to share screens. She presses the "Share Screens" button and after a few seconds, you will be able to see what she sees. 

Leaving Skype running, she then opens up Ancestry and from there she goes to invitations and then to the permissions. If the editor function is not ticked, she can do it then and there. If it is ticked, then it is time to call Ancestry and report a problem. 

When done, she un-clicks "Share Screens" and everything is back to normal. 

I have found it invaluable when trying to show, or learn, a new technique.   

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

guest189040

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
If you and your cousin both have a Skype account, it allows you to talk (with video) in real time. It also allows you to share screens. She presses the "Share Screens" button and after a few seconds, you will be able to see what she sees. 

Leaving Skype running, she then opens up Ancestry and from there she goes to invitations and then to the permissions. If the editor function is not ticked, she can do it then and there. If it is ticked, then it is time to call Ancestry and report a problem. 

When done, she un-clicks "Share Screens" and everything is back to normal. 

I have found it invaluable when trying to show, or learn, a new technique.   

Regards 

Chas

Great suggestion.

Additionally if it is an Ancestry bug if you both install Team Viewer you can then take full control over her Computer and make the corrections yourself all whilst keeping Sykpe going

Waiting for Ancestry to correct the bug will possibly take an age