Author Topic: Downloading Google Chrome.  (Read 1153 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Downloading Google Chrome.
« on: Monday 17 August 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
I'm having extreme difficulty downloading Google Chrome on my new Acer Laptop.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading Google Chrome.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Have you tried downloading the full, standalone installer? It should be about 60MB.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I keep getting a box coming up directing me to Microsoft Edge?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
That's a bit odd.

I have noticed when downloading Chrome using Firefox it opens a small popup window, which it quickly closes. I wonder if the redirect to Edge is related to this. If Edge is set to be your default browser, the OS might be trying to open the popup in Edge, although that behaviour isn't typical. You can check your default web browser in Search > Default Apps > Web browser.

Not that it should make a difference but what browser are you using?

As an alternative, the following links has some alternative links to download the installer (all still from Google's own domains). The ones from the dl.google.com domain don't seem to open the popup window, if that is the issue.

AskVG > Download Google Chrome Full Standalone Offline Installer
https://www.askvg.com/official-link-to-download-google-chrome-standalone-offline-installer/
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
I think it is actually part of Microsoft's effort to get everyone to use Edge, you should just be able to ignore Edge if you want.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
I'm still unsuccessful.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Online AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
Do you go to your local medical practice and say, "Hey Doc, I'm not very well." And the Doc sits and looks back at you. Or do you say, "Hey Doc, I've got these chest pains, and headaches, and I'm also short of breath"?

This is no different.

In order that we can help you, you need to provide some more information.

We know it's a laptop you're using, but are you running Windows/Linux/Mac OS? Which version?

What browser are you using to try and download Chrome?
Do you have any browser add-ons?
What webpage are you visiting to download Chrome?
What buttons/links are you clicking on?
Does your profile have administrator rights?
What is happening on-screen step by step?
What are you expecting to happen?
Are you getting any error messages?

The link provided by cuffie in post #2 should work (although I'd uncheck the "Help make Google Chrome better by automatically sending usage statistics and crash reports to Google" tickbox before clicking on Download). It brings up a box asking what to do - Save File or Cancel. Click on Save File and choose where you want the installer file to go to (usually Downloads folder).

Once the download is complete, open a File Explorer, navigate to the Downloads folder and open the Installer file to begin installation, and follow the instructions.

There are lots of friendly people on here willing to help, but we can't help if you do not provide any useful information on what the problem is.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
I said in my first message I'm using a brand new Acer Laptop using Window 10.8.I'm using the Microsoft own Browser.I'm getting so far with the download every time which directs me to using Microsoft Edge which  it says has all the properties of Google Chrome.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
Both the current Edge browser and the Chrome browser are based on the same basic project, known as Chromium, and so both work the same way.

Chrome sends details of everything you do to Google, so they can sell adverts at you.

Edge sends less stuff to Microsoft, but is anything but free of spying.

Both browsers try to push you into their own realm, but you should be able to ignore their exhortations and take the action you prefer.

In either, if you download a file from a website, a bar should appear at the bottom of the window showing the file's arrival.

Whether you see the bar or not, or are even using a different browser such as Internet Explorer, the file you downloaded should be visible in your "Downloads" folder when you look there in Windows Explorer. So if you download the installer for Chrome, it should be obvious there.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.