Author Topic: Downloading Google Chrome.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading Google Chrome.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks,the trouble is whenever I click on "Go to file",it directs me to Microsoft Edge?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
I said in my first message I'm using a brand new Acer Laptop using Window 10.8.

No, you said in your first post you had a brand new Acer laptop, there was no mention of operating system nor version. I'm not sure what version "Win 10.8" is anyway. I presume it is v10 as if it is a new laptop it wont be shipped with v8.

I'm using the Microsoft own Browser.

Microsoft have two browsers - Internet Explorer which is being phased out in favour of Edge. As you say this is a new laptop, does it already have Edge installed?

I'm getting so far with the download every time which directs me to using Microsoft Edge

How far? 1%? 50%? 96%? 100%?
What do you mean "directs me to using Edge"? Assuming you are starting up Internet Explorer to navigate to the webpage to download Chrome, is IE still running when you encounter this "redirect"? Can you not just close Edge and continue with the Chrome download?
Have you checked the Downloads folder to see if there is a completed Chrome install file there?

OK, I'm out.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
William,

It sounds to me (and Angus, I think), that you're trying to use Internet Explorer. Ignore IE, and just try using Edge to download Chrome instead.

If that doesn't work I'll give you a PowerShell command to download Chrome, bypassing the browsers completely.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
I have to admit to being baffled by it all

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
If you are not very technically minded as regards computers there is a solution.   
TeamViewer is a method of connecting your computer through the internet to someone you know and trust who knows computers inside out.  With your permission they control your computer as if they were sitting in front of it.   They will download and install the Browser you want and select the Search Engine of your choice.  Once everything is sorted you can uninstall TeamViewer  so nobody can get Remote Access to your computer.
First task then is to find a computer friend ...
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have to admit to being baffled by it all

Regards
William Russell Jones.

You are not the only baffled one.

I cannot understand why anyone would install a browser like Chrome.

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Have you downloaded the Chrome installer? The link given earlier should point you to the right place.

Click on the "Direct Download Link of Google Chrome 84.0 Offline Installer (64-bit) (61.04 MB)" and that should either give you the chance of running the installer directly, or saving the installer file. If it asks you if you want to run it, then do so - it saves a couple of steps.

The current Edge should put it directly into your Downloads folder; Internet Explorer, or the older Edge should give you the choice of "Save" or "Save As". "Save" should put it in the Downloads folder.

Then open Windows explorer - the yellow folder icon on the bar at the bottom of your screen, or use WindowsKey and E to open it.

Navigate to the Downloads folder, visible somewhere in the pane on the left. The file "ChromeStandaloneSetup64.exe" should be there (the .exe bit might be hidden).

Double-click on that file, and Chrome should install.

Once Chrome is installed, it should be visible in Windows' Start Menu. When you start it, it will likely give you the option of making it your default browser, and changing your search provider to Google.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 August 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone,job done now!As ever with  these things it was really quite simple but not to me.lolThe Laptop was in S Mode.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire