Author Topic: Susanna Eastwood lookup - bastardy records  (Read 220 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Susanna Eastwood lookup - bastardy records
« on: Monday 17 August 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for a very kind person to act as a second pair of eyes to confirm that a record is not there.

Basically I am looking for Susanna Eastwood on some sort of bastardy record for Ovenden. She had a child in the Ovenden workhouse, his name is either Samuel Hellowel Eastwood, or Samuel Eastwood Hellowel. The order seems to get confused at times. (I've no idea where the Hellowel comes from, whether it was his fathers name, or her mothers or just a name she liked).

He was born 19 July 1801 and baptised at Zion Methodist New Connection Church in Ovenden on 22 November 1801.

I'm only assuming he is illegitimate because only his mothers name is given with his baptism record and the fact that a note is made in the baptism record of him being 'workhouse born'.

I've been in touch with the West Yorkshire Archive Service, as some of the papers for the Ovenden workhouse still exist. Unfortunately it looks like they won't be able to access those papers for me for a while as the rooms they are in are locked due to the present situation.

However, they do hold bastardy records for Ovenden and when you look in their online catalogue and click on the little links, each one gives the details of a mother and supposed father. No names of children as far as I can see.

I've been through them all and I can't see any mention of a Sarah Eastwood. I can't even see any records for 1801. So either the record is lost or there was never a record in the first place, for what ever reason that might have been.

It's laborious work though so it's possible I've missed one.

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=CC00002%2f2%2f3%2f5%2f6%2f13

If anyone is interested I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*