Author Topic: St Saviour parish info on marriage Charlotte Ann WEST/George CROOK 21 Dec 1892  (Read 788 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I have a marriage record for Charlotte Ann West and George Crook for 21 Dec 1892 at St Saviour, Nottingham but don't have any further details.

Does anyone have access to parish records who could tell me the addresses and occupations of the two parties please?  And names of the witnesses.

That would be very useful.

Thanks in anticipation
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Saviour parish info on marriage Charlotte Ann WEST/George CROOK 21 Dec 1892
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have this

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Saviour parish info on marriage Charlotte Ann WEST/George CROOK 21 Dec 1892
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Comberton, I hadn't seen this.  Not many people I research run to newspaper announcements so I didn't think of looking.  Now I think I'll look for a death announcement, as George died young, and I think it is his death 1897 registered in Basford, although I haven't sent off for the death certificate.  Too mean.  She was a widow by the 1901 census, and listed in Wright's Directory for Nottingham 1898 - under dress makers as Miss Charlotte A Crook, 23 Market St and 51 Lower Talbot St.  Also under surname alphabetical listing as Mrs Charlotte Ann Crook, dress maker, same addresses.  I thought it odd that there were 2 addresses but perhaps one was her sewing place and the other her home.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
1881 has a George Crook b 1870 Calne - parents Robert & Ann so the 1897 death is more than likely the right one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
So 1901 she is with George's mother in Sutton Coldfield 2891/15/22
Is that correct?
There is a possible for George in 1891 in Lambeth as a lodger
George Crook b 1870 Calne
warehouseman clerk
393/6/5

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have a lot of info already on these two, but really was interested in George's occupation on marriage, and the address(es) at the time.

Yes George is from Calne, Wilts, father Robert Crook the butcher, and he is that lodger in the 1891 census.  GRO shows the 1897 death as age 28 so it all fits and very likely him, but just never verified it with a certificate.  Charlotte is the widowed daughter in law in the Crook household in 1901, although MIL had remarried so was Mrs Matthews, widowed.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
I've found a widow, advertising for a lodger at 51 Lower Talbot St in the Nottingham Evening Post 12 May 1890.  So that will be Charlotte.

And Madam Crook advertising for improvers etc for dressmaking, at 21a Market St in 1899 in the same paper.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the 1891 census, Charlotte was a dressmaker then, and also after marriage, so this is going to be her occupation on the marriage details.  George is more of a mystery though, as warehouse clerk in Lambeth doesn't give much idea of what job he might have had in Nottingham in 1892. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
I do have George's (and the whole family's) addresses when each of his daughters were baptised, but have only found the transcriptions, not seen the original records.  So I have no idea of his occupation then.

Nora Winifred Crook was baptised 25 Mar 1894 at St Saviours, and the family living at 176 Arkwright St.  Then Edith Ann Crook was baptised 09 Feb 1896 at St Thomas, with the family living in Park Row. As ad for Charlotte Crook looking for assistants for dressmaking gave 8 Park Row.

Edith's birth and baptism records are confusing.  GRO says 1896  M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM  Volume 07B  Page 284 MMN West, and this matches the baptism date of Feb 1896.  But the 1939 register shows her as born on 4 Dec 1896.  Presumably the error is in the 1939 register, which should state 1895, which would match being registered in the Jan-Mar quarter of 1896?  It is definitely her in 1939, Edith Ann Bell, living with her mother Charlotte (now Wardman after remarrying).

I have plenty of info on Edith, her marriage, her husband and his early death, and plenty on Charlotte too.  But this birth discrepancy is odd especially as I'd have expected it to be corrected at some point by the NHS.  I don't think the Crooks had another daughter who died in infancy - which is the other explanation as often the next child of the same gender received the same name as the baby that died.
Crook, Bannister, Warren