Author Topic: Diary > Monday 17th August  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 17th August
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I may misunderstand your fence setup, and it sounds like you have done a thorough job to prevent your plants growing towards NN’s side of the fence .... it may do the trick but she is obviously strangely illogically bothered by your plants if she is now going to the effort of reaching over to cut bits off.

If you continue to have problems, perhaps you could consider a privacy screen (with very few “gaps”) erected within your garden? It should be a lot cheaper than a fence along the entire length of your garden. It would be an easy job for a handy person or two.

You could then grow your climbing plants up the screen/trellis without the worry of her interfering with them.

I wish you lived next door to me. I would love your clematis and ivy tumbling over my fence.  ;)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 August 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
My very good neighbour ,who is also in her nineties so not really bothered with things like her fences etc.the one between her garden and mine is a waneylap.which I dislike.
The posts are also leaning badly to her side.
When I had my rear garden done ,my neighbour said ,“do what you need to do and I will pay my share.”
However she did not understand the arrangement of whose fence is whose etc ,and it is her fence but I must maintain my side of it but am not obliged to renew or meet costs of renewal.
She did not understand ,abd her daughter was not very co operative .
So my gardener came up with a plan.
Willow screening .
He asked permission to drill into the posts and affix wood to level things .
The screening is fixed to those  and  is vertical, tidy and easily removed,should that be necessary.
It is the same height as the waneylap,I did not want to obscure the view she has from her kitchen window.
I also have the benefit of a hedge of the prettiest roses for months and months.
O.K, the petals get everywhere ,but what a small price to pay!
We can chat over the fence ,I can pass  cake etc over , get her washing in
(gates in the back fence to a small private lane).
Spray her weeds and deadhead said roses .
I am so lucky and dread the day when someone else is there.
But the Willow screening is lightweight .Four metres long and mine is one meter high,£ 14.I needed four packs.
It comes in much higher heights.
Is virtually dense so you can’t see through it but the wind can blow through.
That way if any of your plants grow through and she cuts them, she can only
do it close to her side of the fence,she won’t be able to get secateurs between the withies.Look it up.
You may need help for the supports, but as the screening is relatively light .
You may be able to extend upwards from your original fence supports.
So totally independent of her.
Just make sure who owns the fence between you ,if you then you can drill into the posts with out asking her.
My Solicitor said “As you stand in your garden ,with your back to your house ,
the fence to your right is yours,but any neighbour to the right of it has to maintain their side by regular paint/ preservative etc.but not replace it.
To your left is your neighbour’s fence ,to replace and repair but you must maintain it on your side by paint preservative etc.
So you will know how far you can go with this.
Hopefully the screening will be  totally  independent of anything your neighbour owns .Google it Willow Screening ,it lasts well, willow twigs were put under Winchester Cathedral when it was sinking ,by a Deep Sea diver, who sloshed underwater in the crypt among mediaeval skeletons ,coffins etc
to place the bundles of withies
It worked! That was in the 1800’s
As your plants climb up it will be disguised ,but it is not ugly.
You will not see your neighbour ,she will only be able to cut what grows through, but will not be able to reach through nor to the top without ladders .it will create privacy .
You will be able to go about your chores etc privately ,won’t see her and thus
a burden will be lifted.
Mine cost me £ 56.Not sure of the price of taller packs.
I was lucky ,the co operation of my  neighbour meant I could use her posts .but hopefully you won’t need to do that.
Hope there is some helpful info there Roobarb.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 August 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
As I stand with my back to the house, on our estate, it's the fence to our left that is ours to maintain according to the deeds.......
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 August 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
RTL, I think the paint you mention is known as ant climb paint. I must admit I did think of putting something tacky on the top of the fence! The thing is, she didn't even touch the fence itself, she was reachng up at yanking at the clematis shoots to cut them. I don't really want to provoke any more spiteful actions from her, despite her treating this like a vendetta. I've kept a keen eye on the shoots and have now been tying any in so that they don't grow anywhere above the height of the fence. It's ridiculous really, I think she's trying to provoke a reaction and has got me dancing to her tune in that respect but I won't give her the satisfaction of taking her spite out on my plants.

Thank you again for your kind words about expressing concerns. I think we all breathed a huge sigh of relief for you when the public toilets were open again and you no longer have to suffer the dehydration that the closure caused. It certainly does help to put it into words.

Ruskie, it's a shared six foot fence, the plants have been growing on it since I moved here over twenty years ago. There were two owners prior to NN, neither had any problem with the plants and until this year the plants continued to grow there. When NN was friendly with me she used to make comments about the ivy and I invited her to trim it if she wanted to, I did all I could to make sure it wasn't intrusive. It was only when she stopped speaking to me that I put something up to screen her view onto my patio as I felt uncomfortable being open to her watching me. That's when the destruction began, the clematis was just coming into flower. The daft part about it is that she doesn't even see the area of fence in question unless she goes to the bin! I did look at screening in the beginning but if I nailed anything to the fence she was straight there watching me and if I used cable ties she would be able to cut them from her side. I was too stressed at that point to do anything permanent. I've fixed a number of expanding trellises to the fence and have backed it with plant membrane so that the plants don't grow through.

Viktoria, many thanks for the information about willow screening. I did look at that at the outset but didn't go ahead with it at the time due to the reasons above. Also the posts are actually on my neighbour's side of the fence so I would only be able to fix it to the planks.

I'm quite surprised by what your solicitor said about ownership of the fences. I did quite a lot of research a while ago (ironically for NN herself who was having a dispute with one of her other neighbours!), the bit about which side it's on was discounted in many places as a myth but I'm sure your solicitor has the knowledge to comment on it. On that basis it's NN's fence!
I actually know who owns all the fences around my garden - not me! I bought the house as a new build, the fence on NN's side had already been erected by the original neighbours and the others were subsequently put there by the neighbours on the other side and the one at the back. That's not to say that I wouldn't contribute, there was a problem some years ago with the one on my nice neighbours' side and we went halves on the repairs.

Phew! That was a long tale. I was going to say I could write a book but I think I already have!  ;D

Thanks everyone.

PS, your reply has just beaten my Candleflame - there are no fences on my deeds as they weren't there when I bought the house.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 August 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Is there any mark alongside the boundary line on your deeds, mine has a sideways T on two boundarys -left side and bottom.   There does not have to be a fence, mine was a strand of wire.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 August 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
You have said it all,  she had a dispute with the neighbour the other side, it is her who has a problem, awkward comes to mind when there is no need, I think it is quite common for neighbours to fall put over fences.  Roobarb, don't  let her stress  you,

I think sometimes when houses are built there are no actual designated fences and that is where the problem lies

Perhaps writing it down would make you feel better

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 August 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, she might give up now and leave you in peace.  I would keep a record though of dates when she is doing things like damaging or cutting a plant on your side in case she carries on being a nuisance and you might need evidence to take things further.  I wonder if it might be legal to take a photo of her in action for possible future evidence if she attempts to damage/cut your plants again?  Your plants are your property - why is she touching these when they are not on her side?  I do hope she will give up and just leave your plants alone.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 August 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL, I actually installed a cheap security camera after she created the massive amount of damage initially, it looks over my garden and includes all of the fences but not any neighbouring gardens. She actually asked me a while ago whether it was looking over her garden, I told her it wasn't and offered to send her evidence of its range but she declined. That was the point where I told her how she had been making my life a misery with her destruction and she asked whether I had put the camera there in case she did it again, to which I said yes. So she knows the camera is there but still does it, she probably thought that because she was behind the fence she couldn't be seen and of course she wouldn't have been if she hadn't been reaching over. I have the video evidence of her yanking at the clematis and cutting it in several places, obviously before I spotted her from the kitchen window.
As for the legality, it only shows my property so it's actually her that's trespassing!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 August 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
Is there any mark alongside the boundary line on your deeds, mine has a sideways T on two boundarys -left side and bottom.   There does not have to be a fence, mine was a strand of wire.

I'm not sure Rosie, I'll have to dig the deeds out and have a look, I'll be interested to see if that's the case.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham