Author Topic: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 21 August 20 07:16 BST (UK) »
If I understand it correctly,  the couple who married in 1916 are your grandparents.  So their children were likely born in Victoria.  Have you scrutinised the birth cert for your parent re their mum's details ...including her maiden name, former names,  age, place of birth etc. 

ADD.... if they were born in NSW their mum's maiden name should be on the registration, and if born 100 or  more years ago the NSW birth cert would be available for any member of the general public to purchase, and it would also be available as an official transcription..   :- :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 22 August 20 06:33 BST (UK) »
1889 Birth cert Mary Helen
Henrietta Larson death cert

Hi there,

I have just noticed that you have named the file that you attached to this post ...  Henrietta Larsen DEATH CERT -NO CHILDREN !!! (1) ... so may I reiterate info previously shared on your earlier thread ... 
There is a public tree on ancestry with all the information and certificates.  It would appear to be yours.  However not all forum members have a subscription to Ancestry.

Your grandmother would not be mentioned on either of the death certs of her 'parents' as she wasn't issue of their individual marriages even if she was the biological child of either of them. 

Local bdm's registrars in Victoria in that era and later, were often simply members of the community who were asked to take on the role.  I see nothing odd in a birth being registered two months after the 'event'.

Having researched and eventually found the true facts of illegitimate births and subsequent 'cover ups' during my many years of interest in genealogy, nothing suprises me anymore.  It is also possible that your ancestor was giving information that had been given to her over the years.

Finally the name Henrietta was aka as Mary.

I fully support Cando's comments, and emphasise that the information sought about the deceased's children was confined to the details about the children of the marriage/es,  and not about children born outside of marriage.  That tradition did not change until more recent times, late 20th century.  So civil death registrations in the 1800s and well into the 1900s do not always list all the children born to the deceased person.   

Sorry, but I also notice that in that same post you mention the 1889 Birth cert for Mary Helen, but it was not actually part of the attachment on that post, and I have not located it anywhere, to provide you with adequate comment regarding the signature of the informant...   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.