Author Topic: DNA match of both my Wife and myself  (Read 411 times)

guest189040

DNA match of both my Wife and myself
« on: Tuesday 18 August 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Opened up Ancestry, clicked on the DNA tab and it came up with my Wife's results which it always does as she is the account holder.

I then changed it to my own results, but a face staring out at me from the DNA Matches screen did not change.

It turns out that my Wife has a 6.5Cm match to this person whilst I have a 14Cm match to the very same person.

This is a first for us.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match of both my Wife and myself
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
I have a distant match to a husband and wife who are distantly related to each other. They knew they were related to each other, not when they married but when they both began researching their trees long before DNA. Their roots are in same small area of Surrey. I'm related to the same line that links them of course.

Even stranger was when I thought I was looking at OH's results and searched for any new matches with his main surname and was puzzled when only one very distant matches came up, not the usual large number with closer cousins at the top. Then I realised I was searching on my results. I checked the match's tree expecting it to be a coincidence, but discovered a person who also featured in my husband's tree in the mid 1700s. A cousin of his direct ancestor. If the match had gone back two more generation her tree would include OH's actual 8 times g-grandfather. However OH isn't showing as a match to her , so 9th cousin possibly removed is too distant.
I still haven't found how I'm related, most of her ancestors are from a completely different part of the country to mine.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
I have about 4 like that, all distant and all in the USA and not related to each other.

My husband's 3rd gt grandfather came from B'ham only a few miles from my families who are mainly Black Country. The 3rd gt grandfather then went to London where OH's families were based. We both had relatives who went to the States - at the moment we have no idea where the connections are.

We know this as our daughter has her DNA on 23andMe with us and 23andMe puts the information on each matched link as to whether they are maternal or paternal links on her site.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
I have a lady who matches 369cm with my sister in law and 289cm with my son.
She also matches 22cm with my paternal great uncle and 9cm with myself.
She has a tree but there are no common ancestors, although obviously there are somewhere!
I feel the more recent match is in North Nottinghamshire and the later match in Lincolnshire.
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb