Author Topic: Marriage record - Ann Miles. married 1838  (Read 1724 times)

Offline malevu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record - Ann Miles. married 1838
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Again thank you everyone for your help. It's a lot to digest and it looks like the marriage cert is the only way to clear it up.

Just to clarify the main point from my original post. The full story is long in the telling but the main issue is as follows.

My GGG grandmother was Ann Miles who as a single mum had my GG grandfather Thomas in 1824 in Lincolnshire. The birth record for Thomas does not record a father. It seems that some of the Miles clan had travelled from the Heather/Measham area to work at the new, ill-fated coal mine at Woodhall. With the mines closure they returned to the Bagworth area where Thomas is shown on the 1841 census living with William (60) and Sarah Miles (58). Further, Thomas was married in 1845 in Bagworth and he recorded William Miles as his father (possibly grandfather). I have the certificate.

So my research has been about finding out who his mother, Anne was. I'm fairly confident that Anne Miles, born in Heather around 1798 is my GGG grandmother. Her birth record indicates that Thomas and Elizabeth are her parents but I have long suspected that William Miles and Sarah Tatlow who married in Heather in 1799 might be in fact Anne's parents. I believe that William was the nephew of the Thomas shown as the father on Anne's birth record.

Hence my desire to find information about Ann Miles after the birth of Thomas in 1824 in Lincolnshire. If she was later married, especially after 1837, I was hoping that her wedding cert might shed some light on her father. Accordingly, I was hoping the Anne Miles - Henry Bonsall marriage might be the one and provide the link to Anne Miles from Heather.

Unfortunately, it seems the references of Anne Bonsall mentioned by other posters indicates she was born in Polesworth, not Heather. Therefore I may well be chasing the wrong Ann Miles. What adds to the confusion is that the birth record of Anne from Polesworth also shows parents of Thomas and Elizabeth. Nothing is easy !!

Thanks again for everyone's comments, I'm most appreciative. If you have anything further to add please feel free to post it. I've been stuck on this for years now.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 August 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
One tree does have Ann as the daughter of William Miles and Sarah Tatlow, with Thomas as her son before she married Abraham Bates.

Of Oakthorpe, she was baptised in Measham on 5th October 1806.

It could explain why Thomas was with William and Sarah in 1841, rather than with the Ann in Market Bosworth.

The tree is by a descendant of Thomas, related to Ronald Miles 1918 (Nottingham)-2003 (Victoria)

There is more detail on the marriage here - http://www.southderbyshirebdm.co.uk/Church_Gresley/St_George_St_Marys//Marriages/stgstmmarb.html

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 August 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
I made a mistake on the previous post.

It was Hannah who was baptised in 1806, not Ann.

Ann was baptised on 11th March 1804, the daughter of William and Mary of Oakthorpe.

The tree suggests that the name of the mother may be an error because there are no other children of William and Mary. Also, all of the other children were from Oakthorpe.

William was a miner and it seems likely that he and Sarah went to Woodhall with the children, and Ann gave birth to Thomas. I can't imagine that Ann would have gone by herself.

Also, a Timothy Miles, son of William and Sarah of Woodhall, was baptised at Kirkstead, near Woodhall, on 12th September 1824. Born in 1824, Timothy Miles was buried in Measham on 7th February 1829

I think you would need a subscription to see the tree but this is the link, just in case - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/23683220/person/1546633263/facts

David

Offline malevu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 August 20 03:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you David for your input. However the tree your link refers to is mine.  :)

Also, I have a lot of additional info to add to it that I've just discovered including the fact that William was the nephew of the older Thomas.

The parentage of Anne and what became of her after the birth of my GG grand father is what still remains unclear. What I have found in the last couple of days is a birth record for Henry Miles in 1825 in Market Bosworth to an Anne Miles with no father recorded. This may be a link to the Anne Bonsell on the 1841 Census with a son Henry Miles Bonsell, aged 15.

Thanks again for your contribution. For your information I am a Miles and Thomas, born 1824 is my paternal grandfather.

Cheers, Paul. 

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 August 20 03:51 BST (UK) »
I see that I am not going to pass my Genealogy Class if it is on Leicestershire. A new one for me!

https://ukga.org/index.php?pageid=12700

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 August 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Heather is actually pronounced Heether.

Henry Miles, of Market Bosworth, married Susannah Wright in Kirby Mallory on 18th February 1850. No father given for either.

George Miles married Mary Ann Wain in Market Bosworth on 20th November 1849. States that he was illegitimate.

I noticed that James Miles Bonsell used different spellings. When he married Ann Matthews in 1854, he signed his name as Bonser, son of Henry Bonser, a Tailor. His brother, George, was a witness as Bonser, but made a mark.

Daughter, Sarah Ann, was registered as Bonser and they were Bonser in 1861. In 1871, they were Bonsell and Sarah married William Judge as Bonsell. The GRO has her name as either Bonser or Bonsell for the children's births.

James is transcribed as Bones in 1881 and mother born in INDIA in 1809. Ancestry has transcribed as Ann as born in India [Polesworth, Warwickshire] but the image only has India. Her death was probably registered as Bonser in 1882, age 72, and burial in Witton Cemetery.

In 1891 James is Bonsor and death registered as Bonsor in 1893, although buried in Witton Cemetery as Bonser. Wife, Ann, registered as Bonser in 1891.

David

Offline malevu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 August 20 03:15 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks David for your research. The illegitimate children born to Ann interest me as my GG Grandfather born in 1824 to Ann Miles was also illegitimate. However, I am increasingly thinking that I am chasing down the wrong Ann Miles given the Polesworth reference. What's your take on the Polesworth/India record ? That confuses me.

Nonetheless, I will proceed with purchasing Ann Bonsall's marriage cert to see what light that might shed on her origins.

Cheers, Paul

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 August 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

It might be worth contacting the people who think Ann was Atkins and married Thomas Miles, although they concentrate on the Bonsell line. These are the trees:-

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/104547106/person/402102060666/facts

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/3699569/person/24106612962/facts

James gave Henry Bonsell as his father, which might be correct, although step-fathers often appear as fathers on certificates.

Ann's marriage may give a clue, if she knew who he was.

David

Offline malevu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. The Polesworth marriage record of Ann Atkins/Thomas Miles in 1820 seems like the killer to my hopes. I'm fairly sure my Gx3 grandmother was born a Miles and not married to one. The illegitimate birth of her son Thomas (my Gx2 grandfather) in Lincolnshire in 1824 now seems unconnected to the Bonsall line if she was married and had children from the 1820 marriage. Unless for some reason the father's name was left off the birth record.

I really am clutching at straws trying to trace the ancestry of my Gx3 grandmother, Anne or what became of her after she had my Gx2 grandfather. Perhaps she never married.

FYI I've updated my tree that you linked to in an earlier post with all my recent findings.

Cheers.