Author Topic: Edwards - Gwyddelwern Marriage 1827  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edwards - Gwyddelwern Marriage 1827
« on: Thursday 20 August 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census in Bodorlas (just north of Carrog) Merionethshire:
Evan Edwards (46) born Gwyddelwern Merionethshire, Maria (43) born Bryneglwys Denbighshire.
Children: John (17) Edward (12) and John Davies (78) widower pauper.
Note: I wondered if the old man was Maria's father?

Baptisms of Evan and Maria's children in Carrog Merionethshire (aka Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy):
Harriet (1828), Thomas (1831), John (1834), Isaac (1836), Edward (1839)

I need to find Evan and Maria's marriage around 1825-1828! It doesn't help that Evan is Welsh for John and Maria(h) could also be shown as Mary. There is one marriage in Gwyddelwen in 1827 that almost fits (see attachment). However, Maria (being about 18 years old) would have needed parent's consent. Also, for the marriage Evan is from Cloncaenog (not Gwyddelwern) and Maria is from Gwyddelwern (not Bryneglwys). It's the only marriage I can find but it just doesn't fit!

I can't find any other possible marriages. Have looked on Find My Past which is best for Welsh records but no luck. Any experienced researchers who know the area who have a view on this? Maybe Maria is Hughes or Davies but I can't find a baptism for her in Bryneglwys. There is a baptism which looks like Evan in Gwyddelwern 1805.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards - Gwyddelwern Marriage 1827
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
It does help us if you quote census references, especially in Wales  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
I haven't got a paid subscription any more and the 1851 doesn't seem to come up on FamilySearch for whatever reason. I have quoted the details of the 1851 in my post.

Evan had died by 1861 but Maria is there:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7KQ-RJM
I'm a bit puzzled by the parish being Hendreforfydd as it was Bodorlas in the 1851 which is what I've always known this area to be.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy falls in the Corwen Registration district. On the 1841 Census Edward Edwards is aged 2.

Birth Registrations - Name = Edward Edwards; District = Corwen
1. Jun Qtr 1838, mmn = Edwards;
2. Jun Qtr 1838, mmn = not recorded;
3. March Qtr 1838, mmn = Edwards;
4. Mar Qtr 1839, mmn =Hughes;
5. Mar Qtr 1839, mmn = Roberts
6. Mar Qtr 1840, mmn = Thomas

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
Edward's baptism 10 Mar 1839 rules out the last of the above birth registrations.

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm not quire sure what you're saying, hanes teulu. What is mmn?
I get it, mother's maiden name! Not used to this jargon. How do you know the mother's maiden name? If there is one with mother Hughes then I should order it, but what is the reference?

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
It does help us if you quote census references, especially in Wales  ;D
I have found the son Edward Edwards (12) in the 1851 census if that helps.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies.
"mmn" - the mother's maiden name that appears on the birth certificate. Allowing for the vagaries of census ages I have tried to identify the Edward Edwards registered in the Corwen registration district that might cover a 2 year old Edward Edwards, born Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy, on the '41 Census.

So, you can rule out no. 6 - born after the March 10 baptism. You can probably rule out no 2 "not recorded". The absence of a mother's maiden name on a birth cert. often points to an illegitimate birth.

So, there are 4 Edward Edwards, registered Corwen possibly in the frame as "your" Edward. The mother's maiden names involved are Edwards, Hughes and Thomas.

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 August 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies.
"mmn" - the mother's maiden name that appears on the birth certificate. Allowing for the vagaries of census ages I have tried to identify the Edward Edwards registered in the Corwen registration district that might cover a 2 year old Edward Edwards, born Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy, on the '41 Census.

So, you can rule out no. 6 - born after the March 10 baptism. You can probably rule out no 2 "not recorded". The absence of a mother's maiden name on a birth cert. often points to an illegitimate birth.

So, there are 4 Edward Edwards, registered Corwen possibly in the frame as "your" Edward. The mother's maiden names involved are Edwards, Hughes and Thomas.

How do you get those mother's maiden names? I've never seen that before (except 20th century). Please tell me where you found that, it is amazing! I am interested in the Hughes mother as it matches the marriage I found. I have two registrations, which one is Hughes?
Mar 1839 Corwen 27.399
Mar 1839 Corwen 27.403