Author Topic: Mary Louisa nee Terry Jackson b Q1 1876 Hellingly, Sussex  (Read 1859 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Louisa nee Terry Jackson b Q1 1876 Hellingly, Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 August 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
It is not illegal to use an alias/aka “also known as” and is generally used where the person uses another name other than their birth name. eg. anglicised names, shortened names, nicknames, a professional/stage names etc.... sometimes even creating new identity to leave the past behind. Overtime with common usage, it gets adopted as the persons name.....
Do you have any of their bdm certificates? Hopefully they would have more details like informant, full names (middle names if any) and may state “also known as”....depending on the knowledge/honesty of the informant.

Assuming the W.A. naturalisation file in 1942/1943 is your Charles Oscar Jackson (it eliminates NSW Charles Oscar Jackson who died in 1941 NSW )
It appears....(hopefully team rootschat have it right  ;D)
Karl Oskar JENSEN also went by Charles Oscar JACKSON
His wife: Mary Louisa also went by May Louisa/Louise
Their daughter: Mary Ellen also went by May Ellen and May Irene
Their son: Leslie Carl also went by Leslie Charles

It looks like:
Mary/May Louisa/Louise and Charles/Karl Oscar/Oskar Jackson/Jensen separated around 1908
Their daughter Mary/May Ellen/Irene married 1st as May Irene and divorced Charles HOLLINGWORTH. She married a 2nd time as May Irene to Edward SUNLEY. She is buried under May Ellen SUNLEY 

Family history....makes for challenging but interesting research  ;D

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 August 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Seems odd cupoflife, unless Mary died and Charles married again to Linda?
Cr

Not odd at all, if a defacto wife.

Jamjar

Mrs Linda WALKER was likely the defacto wife of the NSW Charles Oscar JACKSON who died in 1941

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 August 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
I'm totally confused by all these newspaper reports!
Can someone tell me exactly what happened to the family in simple terms please?
Mary Louise and Charles Oscar were definitely married in 1899 according to the Australia Marriage Index so she wasn't a defacto wife.
I don't understand how Mary Ellen Jackson became May Irene, as her correct birth name, as Mary Ellen was recorded on the Australian Birth Index?
Cr

In simple terms, just the run of the mill dysfunctional family. 😁 Charles and wife separated with wife disappearing, daughter and 1st husband divorced, son disappeared and possibly spent time in England and father - if it is him in NSW - went off and lived with a woman, who he didn’t marry.

The defacto was the woman he was living with in Sydney, NSW, Mrs Linda Walker.

Mary Ellen and May Irene look to be the same person. If the info provided here is correct. Likely she changed her name after her marriage break up. Odd if the name changed back for the burial, if that is her in Perth cemetery. Who knows why folk do what they do. 😂

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 August 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
W.A. and NSW are two different men.
This clearly eliminates the NSW Charles Oscar JACKSON who died in 1941
He was born in Barry Dock South Wales. Wife was Ivy (address in London)
Added later (on his file) is next of kin “friend” Linda Walker (address in NSW)
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Gallery151/dist/JGalleryViewer.aspx?B=7360253&S=1&N=24&R=0#/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=7360253&T=P&S=1

Marriage extract included: ***He also changed from Oswald to Oscar  ;D
Date of marriage 1st Aug 1918 Lambeth London
Charles Oswald JACKSON (age 28 Bachelor) and Ivy RUTLAND (age 30 widow)
His Father: Osrem JACKSON  (Marine Engineer)
Her Father: Edward Rush (Horsedealer)
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Gallery151/dist/JGalleryViewer.aspx?B=7360253&S=1&N=24&R=0#/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=7360253&T=P&S=8

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
WA death 1954 looks like the right fit.
In the naturalisation application, Karl Oskar Jensen (known as Charles Oscar Jackson) states his occupation as restaurant keeper, own account, Meekatharra, 4 years.
He gives his birth as 29/9/1869 at Fredrikstadt, Norway
**** age 86 fit the 1954 W.A. death
His father is named as Johannes JENSEN

The 1898 marriage notice states “Charles Oscar Jackson of Star of the East.”

There are several articles about Charles Jackson of Star of the East.
Article about a lecture in the commodious room of Mr Charles Jackson, restaurant keeper at the Star of the East https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/252762132

The Murchison Times and Day Dawn Gazette 27Nov1895 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233231675
(see lefthand column under LAKE AUSTIN HOTEL)
APPLICATION FOR A WINE AND BEER LICENSE.
To the Warden, Murchison Goldfields.
I CHARLES JACKSON, eatinghouse keeper, single, now residing at the Star of the East, ...

HOUSEHOLDERS CERTIFICATE
We, the undersigned residents of the Star of the East district, do hereby certify that the above-named Charles Jackson is a person of good fame and reputation and proper to be licensed to sell Wine and Beer in addition to the restaurant business now held by him.
Witness our hands this 6th day of November, 1895

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 August 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
The above was the daughter of Edgar Samuel Terry (1847-1891) and Ruth Ellen nee Bennett (1843-1881) and emigrated to Australia 25 Jan 1894 to Freemantle; she married Charles Oscar Jackson 1899 in Cue, WA. They had 2 children, Mary Ellen b 1899 Cue and Leslie Carl b 1902 Cue. Charles died 1941 at Randwick, NSW and his son, Carl died 15 Jun 1977 Perth, WA and is buried at Karrakatta.

I don't know when Mary Louisa or her daughter Mary Ellen died and whether the latter married?
Cr

I'm totally confused by all these newspaper reports!
Can someone tell me exactly what happened to the family in simple terms please?
Mary Louise and Charles Oscar were definitely married in 1899 according to the Australia Marriage Index so she wasn't a defacto wife.
I don't understand how Mary Ellen Jackson became May Irene, as her correct birth name, as Mary Ellen was recorded on the Australian Birth Index?
Cr

I think your confusion may be influenced by relying on INDEXES rather than obtaining the actual document that they are pointing to.   The 'Australian Birth Index' and the 'Australian Marriage  Index' and the 'Australian Death Index' are compiled by a commercial family history international organisation.  There are well recognised flaws in the mishmash offered by the combining of those old indexes, which themselves were flawed.

It seems to me that relying on an index of an index can adversely impact on family history research, especially when attempting to move from late 1800s into post WWII events in the Australian environment, where there are restrictions to access info due to personal privacy expectations protected by the various laws of each of the 8 jurisdictions.

I am sure that it is much easier to work from primary source material and from current times back to earlier generations, than to work with indexes of indexes and work from earlier generations to the current era.

Randwick NSW is still a very long way from anywhere in Western Australia.

Well Done to all the RChatters who helped sort the confusion out. 

Well Done,  I say .... Well Done.  :) 

ADD its about two thousand four hundred and fifty miles from Randwick NSW to Perth WA  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 August 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
More work to do  ;D ... still unresolved is finding the death of Mary Louisa nee Terry JACKSON  ;D

Have you eliminated this death. Age is not quite right but noticed the Grantee is a Charles JACKSON
https://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00078960
Mary JACKSON Aged (Years) 65; Date of Death: 05/01/1946

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 August 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
Here's the family notices (two) for that Mary JACKSON, it lists her as the dearly loved wife of Charles, and loved mother of E, A, T, M, and H.  And a further notice includes a daughter P.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50319284  The West Australian 7 Jan 1946.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 August 20 03:18 BST (UK) »
The above was the daughter of Edgar Samuel Terry (1847-1891) and Ruth Ellen nee Bennett (1843-1881) and emigrated to Australia 25 Jan 1894 to Freemantle; ......

Passenger List
Ss Port Victor from London 26 January 1894 arrived Fremantle WA in mid March 1894
Passenger 798 details from passenger list:
Mary L TERRY, aged 18, single, a domestic servant, English,   Church of England,  Paid in London £28-0-0 for Passage and Ship’s Kit.

Further Passenger details
Mary Louisa Terry, 18, Single, Domestic, 53 Horseferry Road, Westminster SW

Disposal info from the SS Port Victor which arrived Fremantle  in mid March 1894

Mary L TERRY, a General Servant was employed by Mrs F MOORE, Fremantle, £1/10/-

See the State Records Office of Western Australia, Chronological list of Inwards passengers from overseas to Fremantle 1880-1898.   Start here : https://membership.wags.org.au/members-data/public-data

And from WA bdm online index, Mary Louisa TERRY married Charles Oscar JACKSON, Cue, in 1899.  #892.  https://bdm.justice.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

SS Port Victor, Captain Hepworth, to leave London for Fremantle and Albany piers ... steamer will carry a party of 50 domestic servants under the charge of Miss Monk ... The West Australian, 13 Feb 1894.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3058065

Questions perhaps rhetorical :
 :) Is the lass who was on board the SS Victor, confirmed as definitely the daughter of Edgar Samuel TERRY and Ruth Ellen BENNETT? 
 :) Would the info on the 1899 marriage cert include the names of the bride's parents?  See http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html
 ( WA resources board : https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369921.0 )
W.A. marriage certs include the name of the Fathers' and their occupations, but not the Bride's mothers name.    The W.A. birth certs include the Mother's name, age, birthplace, marriage date, and previous children (of the marriage).
 :) Does the address for Mary Louisa TERRY in England prior to departure on the SS Victor 1894, confirm her parentage? (53 Horseferry Road, Westminster SW) 

JM