Author Topic: Mary Louisa nee Terry Jackson b Q1 1876 Hellingly, Sussex  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Louisa nee Terry Jackson b Q1 1876 Hellingly, Sussex
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 August 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much all of you for your excellent research, I think the ends have nearly all been tied up now in an intriguing family.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

May I gently mention that there has not yet been any positive connection found between the lass noted in the topic heading and the lass who emigrated per the SS Port Victor to Fremantle arriving March 1894. 
And....
There has not yet been any positive connection between the lass on the SS Port Victor and the lass who married in 1899.

Some of the information provided in the opening post has been found to have no relevance to the quest,  and so it is that aspect that causes me to express concern about Cockneyrebel's quest for info about a lass who arrived in 1894 and a lass who married in 1899, and the apparent  children of that marriage. 

I am sure that the usual research practices for Australian family history matters will benefit the quest, so I urge our OP to consider scrutinising actual primary source bdms that have been included in the various online indexes . I am surw that inspecting actual official records should advance this quest.

I readily agree that each family historian is entitled to decide their own standard of proof when conducting their own research, but on the other hand, when involving volunteers cooperatively in a public forum, the volunteers may well strive towards the highest standard.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

May I gently mention that there has not yet been any positive connection found between the lass noted in the topic heading and the lass who emigrated per the SS Port Victor to Fremantle arriving March 1894. 
And....
There has not yet been any positive connection between the lass on the SS Port Victor and the lass who married in 1899.

Some of the information provided in the opening post has been found to have no relevance to the quest,  and so it is that aspect that causes me to express concern about Cockneyrebel's quest for info about a lass who arrived in 1894 and a lass who married in 1899, and the apparent  children of that marriage. 

I am sure that the usual research practices for Australian family history matters will benefit the quest, so I urge our OP to consider scrutinising actual primary source bdms that have been included in the various online indexes . I am surw that inspecting actual official records should advance this quest.

I readily agree that each family historian is entitled to decide their own standard of proof when conducting their own research, but on the other hand, when involving volunteers cooperatively in a public forum, the volunteers may well strive towards the highest standard.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 02:45 BST (UK) »
The West Australian 23 August 1954  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/49875867
JACKSON: On Aug. 21, at Perth, Charles, of 31 Bronte street, East Perth, loving father of May (Mrs. Sunley) and Leslie (England), fond father-in law of Edward, grandfather of G and N.

The WA death cert may well have family history info provided by his daughter, and may well show if his marital status in 1954 was recorded, and if so was he noted as : married or divorced or widowed.

JM.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 06:27 BST (UK) »
From a submitted tree on Ancestry, no supporting documents at all, updated very very recently, - perhaps within the last 24 hours or so.

Mary or May Louisa TERRY, parents as Edgar Samuel Terry 1847-1891 and Ruth Ellen Bennett 1843-1881 was born between Jan and Mar 1876, Hellingly, Sussex, and baptised 16 April 1876, Sussex

Emigrated 25 Jan 1894 London

Married Charles Oscar Jackson 27 October 1899, Cue Western Australia

Daughter Mary Ellen or May Irene JACKSON born 3 December 1899, Cue W.A.
Son Leslie Carl JACKSON born 12 December 1901 Cue, W.A.

Divorced before 1908

Married Frederick John James FOLEY 1909 Perth
Daughter Thelma E 1912-1980
Death of husband 16 Aug 1951, Victoria Park W.A. 
Her own death 26 June 1962, Karrakatta W.A. 

This 26 June 1962 death is attributed to Rootschat - majm - that's ME, and I have NOT, at any stage in the progress of this thread to date, confirmed that the Mary Louisa TERRY that our OP is asking about died 26 June 1962.  In fact, I have questioned as to IF the lass in the topic heading actually arrived in Australia.    So I mention this here, at Rootschat, simply because I value my privacy, I respect RChat, and I am not prepared have my identity made available (to anyone, much less to someone I have never met) by making contact via Ancestry with the person who has so very recently added to their Ancestry tree, particularly as I would want to point out that earlier in this thread I actually provided the following info that basically eliminated the person who died 26 June 1962.  So I would be contradicting the tree owner, from their Ancestry profile, a male person, who resides Milton Keynes.   
A difference in her age, but

Louisa FOLEY died 28 June 1962, aged 80, a cremation Karrakatta, Rose Gardens Garden U, position 0070.
https://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KC00019067

ADD
WA bdm has the death registration for a Louisa FOLEY, aged 80, in 1962.  Her parents names displayed there as Henry and Emily.

JM

as shown by the following post from cupoflife
Thanks JM,
Thats another May/Mary eliminated  ;)

JM

ADD -  Webs often appear  tangled until the actual documentation is inspected.   Not sure why our OP mentions Leonard FOLEY ... but I wish our OP every success at untangling webs.

Thank you all for your very extensive and detailed research. What tangled webs these people appear to have weaved?
Mary Louisa's parents died in 1881 and 1891 when she was 5 and 15; at 1891 she was working as a servant in Chiddingley which was near her home; I can only assume that as an orphan by 1894 she went as a servant on the Port Victor along with lots of other young girls to make a better life for herself. It seems unlikely that she'd have moved to NSW, so I think you must be correct about her staying in WA. There is a tree on Anc about Leonard Foley, which says that Thelma was born 1909 which would fit in with the 'divorce' in 1908-I've written to the owner to find out if they know anymore.
Cr

ADD from another submitted tree, Henry Vernon JACKSON (1851-1922) and Emily YOUL (1857-1919) are listed as parents of a Louisa JACKSON. That Louisa JACKSON married a Frederick John James FOLEY 21 June 1909, East Perth, WA and they are listed as the parents of Thelma Evelyn FOLEY.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you majm for pointing out my initial error in thinking that Mary emigrated to Australia in 1894, I appreciate your concerns and thus I have deleted the various marriages of her, her supposed husbands and children from my tree and the one at Ancestry.
It is far too expensive for me to buy bmd certs from Australia, it's even more expensive here than there and as a poor pensioner they are beyond my reach.
I'd hoped that you ladies and gents at Rootschat would have found it simpler to find out about her via obits and free records. It seems I have the wrong one according to the Ancestry trees as they have different parents for her in all cases, thus I'll leave her as a mystery for the time being.
Thank you all rootchatters for your tireless researchin finding out that I was wrong in my thinking.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.