Author Topic: Gap of Dunloe in County Kerry, Can You Help Solve the Mystery  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gap of Dunloe in County Kerry, Can You Help Solve the Mystery
« on: Saturday 22 August 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
My cousin Pat lives in New York, and is trying to solve the mystery behind this beautiful photograph, taken at the Gap of Dunloe, in County Kerry, Ireland, back in 1926.

On 8/5/1908 at the age of 18, Maryanne left her beloved family in Carrickmacross, Ireland, and set sale for New York, and a new life far away.  After four years, Mary Ann met  the man she was to marry Owen Michael Patten.  They settled in New York, brought up seven children, and lived the rest of their lives in New York, surrounded by their family.

Following her death in 1973, this photograph was found with Mary Ann's belongings and treasured possessions. Mary Anne's grand daughter Pat is trying  to establish how the photograph came into Mary Ann's possession in New York, and  her connection with the elegant group of people on horseback? With the generous help and support, of one particular person in Ireland, we have established that this photo was taken in 1926 by a photographer called Louis MacMonagle a photographer who had a photographic business in County Kerry. Louis is quite famous and has material recorded in the National Library of Ireland.  I believe, the code on the photograph indicates there were 5 copies developed, and the photos were probably delivered to the 5 guests staying at the local hotel in Kerry. Does anyone know who owns the other four prints, who are the people are in this mystery photo and how did Mary Ann come by the photo?

Is there anyone out there, who may be able to help solve the puzzle behind the mystery photograph, please respond to Ellie Spencer,  Many thanks.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gap of Dunloe in County Kerry, Can You Help Solve the Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Was Mary Anne born in Carrickmacross in County Monaghan?
I assume that at least one of the people was a relative or friend of hers, holidaying in Kerry. 
The women aren't dressed for riding. Footwear of the women wasn't made for walking on rough roads either. I notice that the eldest woman rode side-saddle.
Do you have photos of Mary Anne at various ages? You could post copies of them and this on the photographic board and ask opinions about potential family resemblances and ages of the people in the Kerry photo. Include a link back to this thread.
Cowban

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
I’d say the young lad in the middle was a guide taking 4 tourists on a ride through the Gap of Dunloe.  If you go to Killarney today you’ll find folk with horse-drawn jaunting cars offering a similar service. Most seat 4 or 6 and you might not know the other passengers. Someone will probably take your photo and offer you a copy on your return (for a price). I suspect it was bit like that in 1926 too.

So that suggests the 4 ladies were on holiday in Co. Kerry.  They might have been there together but alternatively they might not have known each other at all.
Elwyn

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
It hadn't occurred to me that the young lad might have been the guide. I'd assumed he was related to one of the women. How old do you think he was?
I've been looking at other Gap of Dunloe photos. There are some great ones of holidaymakers 1911-1913. All women side-saddle, one with a huge plume in her hat and hair coming loose from pins.
I agree with Elwyn that the people may not have known each other. The guide would have wanted enough people in the party to make the trip worthwhile.
I went through it by jaunting car on a day of downpours. Remember one of my uncles talking about going there on holiday.
Cowban

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone and Elmer, for your interesting thoughts re Mary Ann’s photograph. It had occurred to me that the footwear didn’t look appropriate,  and that the ladies probably didn't know each other. You have totally thrown me with the boy guide, had assumed he was a grandson on one of the ladies.  Mary Ann did come from Carrickmacross but as far as I know hadn’t visited Killarney, it was such a long way from Carrickmacross or New York in those days. ELLIE

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
I read about the Ponymen, the families who did the jaunting car trips.
Killarney was a popular holiday destination.
Killarney station is on Mallow-Tralee line. The Bantry-Killarney road-car route connected with Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway.
Supposing that the friend or relative was still living in Carrickmacross at the time, her route by rail may have been Carrickmacross-Dundalk; Dundalk-Dublin; Dublin-Cork via Mallow; Mallow-Killarney.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ireland_Railways_1906.pdf  Map can be enlarged.
The railway system in Ireland was more extensive a century ago than now.
The friend or relative may have moved to a larger town or city.
One woman's attire was more suitable for riding; a voluminous or possibly a divided skirt and what looks like a short jacket. The other 3 women may have intended to go in a jaunting car but they were all taken.
Men in some photos I looked at seemed to have been on ponies which were too small for them.
Cowban

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you cowban, really hadn’t thought about the railway and wondered in those days how you would travel such a distance. Your observations re their dress were interesting Too. Thank you Ellie.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you cowban, really hadn’t thought about the railway and wondered in those days how you would travel such a distance. Your observations re their dress were interesting Too. Thank you Ellie.

Last time I was in Killarney we took a jaunting car and the driver told us that Queen Victoria visited Killarney for a holiday some time in the 1860s or 1870s, having arrived by train (the railway opened in 1853). This stimulated the tourist market and they have never looked back, so he said.
Elwyn

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Elwyn, Thank you,  really interesting, I too want to visit Killarney; looks beautiful! Ellie