Author Topic: Who remembers social distancing?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Who remembers social distancing?
« on: Saturday 22 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Social distancing now seems something from our dim and distant past.  At the beginning of the lockdown everyone was dodging everyone else, waiting patiently while someone walked towards them along a narrow path or walking into the road to keep their distance.  Supermarkets were full of people waiting while someone else was looking at the shelves or fridges.  Queues were very orderly with everyone standing 2m apart.

So, what has happened?  Since the face-mask in shops regulation, social distancing doesn't seem to exist any more.  It was so bad in our local supermarket yesterday that it looked as if everyone was panic buying again.  There was also a queue for the newly-opened restaurant in the supermarket and everyone appeared to be from the same household because nobody was social distancing.

??? ??? ???

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers social distancing?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 20 18:15 BST (UK) »

We have just come back from a visit to our daughter in Gloucestershire. We were very impressed by the continuation of social distancing measures in place.  Coop and Lidl both limiting numbers in store. Coop still have a one way system in operation, all baskets sanitised by a staff member before you can take one, single, distanced queue at checkouts.  Similarly in Monmouth, all shops ask you to use sanitiser on entry, avoid touching items you don’t intend to buy. The Waitrose has a security man on the door again limited entry, one in, one out. Staff member sanitising baskets and trollies.

Eateries, pubs and restaurants socially distanced or outdoor tables, in most cases you need a key or permission from staff to use the toilets, someone then went in to clean behind you.

Back home in our village our Waitrose is smaller but the same rules apply , one in, one out.  Our One Stop still has a one way system and distanced queuing , hand sanitiser at the door for you and basket handles. The bank, one at a time, one in one out. People will stand aside where possible on pavements.

Cannot speak for somewhere like a larger Tesco because I’ve not set foot in one since end of March and don’t intend to.

So, all in all it seems to me that a lot of people have not forgotten social distancing         
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Suey, agree ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 20 22:03 BST (UK) »
Went to our local Sainsbury today to pick up an eBay order. They are operating a strict "one out, one in" rule to stop over crowding. They even have a red/green traffic light stationed at the door. One of the assistants had to wait at the door as the store total reached maximum. 

Once inside though everybody was hugger-mugger. 

So much for a good idea! 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
Called in at Aldi in Burnley near to Townsley Park.

What Social Distancing?

Zilch, na da, nothing.

And Burnley is in the local lockdown status.

In the Park it was another matter but it was us that observed the SD measures others did not.

Not that SD will soon matter as the kids go back to school in little over a week and maintaining SD will be practically impossible.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 20 23:50 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
How very true YT! Nicely said!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 20 00:58 BST (UK) »
Much as you said Suey, people are still social distancing here, and everyone in public places wears a mask, as mandated.  I have heard of few incidences of people being snarky or rebelling against the rules, but there are a few, as everywhere.
Suey, I am also a Potten descendant.  I have found very few in my DNA matches, nice to see one here :D.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 20 09:14 BST (UK) »
I think part of the problem is that in my area the infection and death rates have been very low all the time so everybody seems to think that means 'business as usual'.  However, I am concerned that our local supermarket who, initially, had very organised queues, security on the door and a good system in-store to keep people social distancing whilst waiting for the check-out have now reverted to 'normal'.  No barriers for queuing outside, nobody on the door, free-for-all allowed in-store.  In fact, I am finding that the staff are part of the problem.  They seem to have completely forgotten social distancing and rarely wear masks when making up orders or shelf-filling.  I have even seen one member of staff whistling as he was shelf-filling.

We are in coastal holiday resort and holiday-makers are increasing our numbers but I'm not actually blaming them because the majority I have seen are trying to stick to the rules while enjoying their holiday. 

As they say - you can't fix stupidity.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex