Author Topic: Who remembers social distancing?  (Read 7569 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers social distancing?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 August 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
If children do indeed go back to school next month (and I think its still a big IF) allowing some parents to go back to work (assuming they've still got a job), presumably we will then see what effect this has on the spread of the bug. My opinion (and hope) is that the effect will be either non-existent or so small as to make little difference.

We have to at least try getting back to normal - and, by 'normal' I mean no compulsory social distancing and no face masks, the latter only becoming 'necessary' when, after scaring us all to death with their useless statistics and enforced lockdown, the powers that be finally cottoned on to the fact that the economy was going down the tubes and changed tack. Hence the sudden  'eureka moment' when they decided that, after all, face masks were a GOOD THING.

I just wish they'd stop taking us for fools and realise that it doesn't make sense to cajole people into going back to work, going shopping, and taking advantage of meal offers on the one hand, but fine us for not wearing face masks and carry on scaring the population in other ways on the other hand.

Oh, and would someone please tell them that the reason the number of cases is going up is because they are finally doing more testing. The lightbulb obviously hasn't yet switched on!

I don't think I've ever felt so utterly despairing of anyone in government actually doing something useful. Its just been one blunder after another.

Do others really believe that schools will really open (fully and permanently) next month?  :(
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 August 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
Jillruss, I agree with everything you say but would add that schools have returned in Scotland so there is hope. However the negative aspect is that there is now a campaign going to require schoolchildren to wear masks all day. One can only hope that some of the maths teachers are sufficiently numerate to persuade their colleagues of how ridiculous and inappropriate this would be.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 24 August 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Jillruss, I agree with everything you say but would add that schools have returned in Scotland so there is hope. However the negative aspect is that there is now a campaign going to require schoolchildren to wear masks all day. One can only hope that some of the maths teachers are sufficiently numerate to persuade their colleagues of how ridiculous and inappropriate this would be.

I hope you're right. I really do. I tend to regard the Scots government as much more sensible than ours (not that it would take much!). I might not particularly like Ms Sturgeon but I think she's a canny operator.

I'm so glad I'm retired and don't have to face the possibility of being told to wear a face mask all day. As someone on this thread has said, they steam up your glasses (I know it sounds funny but it really isn't) and, particularly when its hot, they make you feel even hotter and as though you are about to faint away. If I was still in work, I'd have to risk a fine (or, of course, a 10 year jail sentence if I lived in the IoM!!)

I'd forgotten that children go back earlier in Scotland. Have I missed coverage on the news? Have their been no bolshy Scottish teachers unions or frightened Scottish parents refusing to tow the line? Or have we just not heard about them? I do listen to the news quite regularly but perhaps I've missed it. I do tend to glaze over these days when covid is mentioned, especially when they start quoting statistics which have lived up to all expectation and become 'damned lies'.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 August 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
Just back from my local Asda, 100% of shoppers masked-up & nobody breathing down your neck either, notice the aisles are now arrow-free so no need to walk backwards for that offer you missed!
 Yes the Scottish schools are back & by and large hysterics-free. Teachers union concerned at exposure to infection might mean masks for older pupils, nothing decided.
 Boris cut his, not very well planned, Highland holiday to 3 days as Daily Mail spilled the beans on the location, Applecross. One might have thought that one of his Tory chums would have given him the run of their estate. Haste ye back! or mebbes naw!

Skoosh.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 August 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Do others really believe that schools will really open (fully and permanently) next month?  :(
Not if the Teachers Unions have any say. they'll be off for years! ::)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 August 20 15:26 BST (UK) »

One school Head featured on TV claimed they couldn't go back because Classrooms had no bins.

When I went to school a classroom bin was a standard item.

Seems the budget holder was the School, arguing for bin money.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 August 20 18:04 BST (UK) »

The teachers I know are willing and eager to go back and many, of course, like my relative who teaches in Primary school never stopped teaching even during the Easter and half term holidays.
We now see that one school in Scotland has been affected - the adults rather than the students and the Scottish government are now considering face masks for older children during travel and moving within the schools.
There is,apparently, guidance re special bins which schools are advised to use and prior to the summer holidays, there were many pages of guidance which were often changed by the government at the last minute.
I do not think it is ‘bolshy’ as jillruss says to want to keep children, their families and the staff safe.
Even for an average primary school of 300+ children there has to be much organisation - staggered timings; separate entrances and playgrounds if possible; smaller groupings for some;staff can’t meet other staff unless they are in the ‘bubble’ and so on.
It seems very easy for some to criticise.  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 24 August 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
  I keep hearing references to what should or should not happen on "school transport". I am slightly puzzled - do those giving the advice think our children travel on yellow buses like they seem to in America? (If only!) It seems to me that virtually all secondary school children cram onto service buses and trains along with everyone else.
   Now I hear that there will be only half the spaces on the buses which our children catch, and which are usually rammed. Of course, what will happen is many more parents driving them to school.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 24 August 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
  I keep hearing references to what should or should not happen on "school transport". I am slightly puzzled - do those giving the advice think our children travel on yellow buses like they seem to in America? (If only!) It seems to me that virtually all secondary school children cram onto service buses and trains along with everyone else.

Here in Northumberland a large number of children come to school on special buses. It's the only way that children from some of the villages can get to school.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk