Author Topic: Who remembers social distancing?  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers social distancing?
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
It is natural that during trials there are going to be issues like the current one... surely that's the purpose of trials in the first place...isn't it?

I do feel that the media just love to jump on anything they are going to make capitol out of to put fear among the populous... for those who believe everything they say its a problem but for the rest one can sift through what is real and what isn't it.

I noted when the initial report about the fact that a person on the trial was unwell they used two very differing contentious words one alluding to the fact the illness was due to the vaccine given and the other was they were unwell with something else.... I find this kind of reporting of miss facts very common particularly with the BBC.

I would much rather the trials were paused so investigations can be done as to the reasons this illness/reaction has occurred. After all they are taking part in this trial for the good of us all so I thank them for that.
Yes, we all want the vaccine as soon as possible but not at the expense of it being rushed because the media are down their throats all the time!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 10 September 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
Caroline

The media reporting is negative and I'm annoyed with the blame the government attitude.

Those in Government and Local Authorities must be working their socks off too!

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 10 September 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Caroline

The media reporting is negative and I'm annoyed with the blame the government attitude.

Those in Government and Local Authorities must be working their socks off too!

Mark

I'm really not sure what you are saying, Mark.

No one is blaming the Govt or LAs for the trials being paused. We're just noting it. As others have said - rather pause and investigate than ignore. It is also a procedural requirement.

The reports that I've read in various media have merely reported that the trials have been paused for further investigations. 

Caroline -  I really think that you've misunderstood the reports. I'm not a fan of some parts of the BBC but, in this case, they've reported the facts.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 10 September 20 19:44 BST (UK) »

It's worrying because it's not usual for such pauses, etc, to be announced.

But then the circumstances in which we find ourselves are not usual!. However, it does make for lurid headlines, especially because it has occurred in the U.K..
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 10 September 20 19:51 BST (UK) »

But then the circumstances in which we find ourselves are not usual!. However, it does make for lurid headlines, especially because it has occurred in the U.K..

Typical of you Llwyd - selective quoting.

It's worrying because it's not usual for such pauses, etc, to be announced. There was a previous one back in July that wasn't announced. I'm not sure if it was the same condition as the present one. It might be that it was announce to dampen down the hype put out by the US President and others.

I am worried about the long term effects  on the physical and mental health of others and their economic situation.  I'm lucky that I have a large house and a garden, am affluent middle class, can get in a car and take trips to the coast and countryside, etc., etc. It's the poor, sick, homeless, etc. who suffer most.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 10 September 20 20:12 BST (UK) »
The reports that I've read in various media have merely reported that the trials have been paused for further investigations. 

Caroline -  I really think that you've misunderstood the reports. I'm not a fan of some parts of the BBC but, in this case, they've reported the facts.

"Coronavirus: Oxford University trial paused after participant falls ill" BBC News website 9th Sept.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54082192
Factual, informative reporting. Includes links to associated articles.
Includes analysis by Fergus Walsh, Medical Editor. (Fergus Walsh has decades of experience reporting on science and medicine for BBC. He's on "Newsnight" sometimes to explain detail. I reckon he knows his stuff.)
Headlines on TV news or in newspapers may appear alarming but they are headlines to attract attention.

"Science Focus" BBC "Science Focus" magazine 5th Sept.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/covid-19-who-should-get-a-vaccine-first/
Has links to related articles in previous editions.

"Inside Science" programme Radio 4 today, repeated tonight, had an item on C-19 vaccines. I switched on late in programme. Interviewee said the work done this year might have taken a decade in normal times.   
Cowban

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 10 September 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Also a very good update article in The Times today. It's an interview with the Astrazeneca boss. The Times is paywall.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 10 September 20 20:34 BST (UK) »

I do feel that the media just love to jump on anything they are going to make capitol out of to put fear among the populous... for those who believe everything they say its a problem but for the rest one can sift through what is real and what isn't it.

I think the main reason for startling headlines is to attract readers/viewers/listeners/purchasers. People pay more attention to news in a crisis.
Cowban

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 10 September 20 20:54 BST (UK) »

Typical of you Llwyd - selective quoting.

It's worrying because it's not usual for such pauses, etc, to be announced. There was a previous one back in July that wasn't announced. I'm not sure if it was the same condition as the present one. It might be that it was announce to dampen down the hype put out by the US President and others.

I am worried about the long term effects  on the physical and mental health of others and their economic situation.  I'm lucky that I have a large house and a garden, am affluent middle class, can get in a car and take trips to the coast and countryside, etc., etc. It's the poor, sick, homeless, etc. who suffer most.

And your point is?.
 It seemed to me that is what is being discussed and I made a comment. The fact I had no need or wish to make any point on the rest of your post is neither here nor there.
Should you wish me to do so, then I will oblige you.

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".