Author Topic: Registration number for Charles Edward Fenner, born Christchurch, September 1881  (Read 470 times)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am hoping that this is the right place for a request of this nature. I am looking for the birth registration number for a Charles Edward Fenner, who was born in Christchurch on 12 September 1881, as although he shows up in the New Zealand Birth Index on Ancestry in the last quarter of 1881, I cannot find his birth registration on the Department of Internal Affairs Births, Deaths, & Marriages Online website. This request is linked to a thread that is currently running on the Great War Forum, and I'm just wanting to tidy a few loose ends up, one of which is to find his official birth registration.

His three older siblings, Arthur Weir Fenner, born 1877, Clara Weir Fenner, born 1878, and Herbert Fenner, born 1880, can all be found, but Charles is not showing up, even though we know when he was born, which leads me to suspect that there has been a transcription error in recording his details. His three older siblings  are registered with their mother's name given as Theresa, although it is in fact T(h)irzah, and their father's name is given as not recorded, although we know that the father of all four siblings was Robert Weir. Tirzah Anne Prior was previously married to Thomas Smith Fenner in England, before emigrating to New Zealand sometime between 1871 and 1876, when a daughter was born in Greymouth. Thomas died in Hokitika in 1877, and she seems to have taken up with Robert Weir about the same time, and then moved to Christchurch where all four children were born. As far as is known Tirzah and Robert never married as we have been unable to find a marriage registration, but the children were known by the surname Weir, rather than Fenner, as indeed was Tirzah, during their lives.

Charles Edward Weir has a rather colourful history, but I won't recap all that here as it would fill several pages.

If anybody could help out with Charles' birth registration number it would be much appreciated.

Craig

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Registration number for Charles Edward Fenner, born Christchurch, September 1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
I can only find 4 Children;
1876/3           Fenner,   Emily           Tirzah  -   Thomas Smith   
1880/10628   Fenner,   Herbert           Teresa  -   NR
1878/9289   Fenner,   Clara Weir           Teresa  -   NR
1877/12954   Fenner,   Arthur Weir   Theresa  -   NR

No Charles. Tried Fenner, Weir, Wier Fener
Sorry, not much help.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Registration number for Charles Edward Fenner, born Christchurch, September 1881
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 20 01:33 BST (UK) »
Use family search where you can wild card it and come up with a result.
Check NZ BDMs and here you are

1881/12814   Fermer   Charley Edward      Tirzah   NR

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 20 01:43 BST (UK) »
Carol

You got the same results I did, which is what lead me to suspect there was a transcription error/misspelling, but I couldn't work out what variations to try. On Ancestry somebody has obviously corrected it, because he shows up as Charles Edward Fenner

Mckha489

Thank you for coming up trumps. I'm quite used to using wildcards on ScotlandsPeople, but never thought to use them on FamilySearch. You learn something new every day.

Thank you both though for your quick replies, one last piece of the puzzle falls into place.

Craig