Author Topic: Cathcart - Bowles - Wilson in Dublin 1848 - 1858  (Read 440 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cathcart - Bowles - Wilson in Dublin 1848 - 1858
« on: Monday 24 August 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
Dublin 1848 to 1858. I'm searching for William Cathcart, Slater, Gardener, Farmer but

allegedly deceased by 1853.   He was father to John Cathcart ( House Servant) born

Ireland 1828, who married Ann Bowles in Dublin 1848 and moved to Preston, Lancashire

where she died in 1850.  John re-married in Preston in 1853 to Jane Dickinson of

Bolton-le-Sands, Lancashire.
Ann Bowles father was William Bowles, age and Place of Birth unknown. Catherine

Bowles, 28 Upper Merrion Street, married Robert Wilson, a Butler, 16 Upper Fitzwilliam

St, his father John Wilson was a Farmer. They married in 1858 in Dublin and her father

William Bowles was once a Steward now a Mercantile Clerk.
There may be a connection to the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
Wedding witnesses were Sabbeth Needham and William Griegstian in 1848.
John & Anne's address was given as 42 LR Dominick Street.  1858 Witnesses were George

Dorans and Mary Ivers or Ivens. I would be grateful for any extra information,

thanks, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart - Bowles - Wilson in Dublin 1848 - 1858
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
wedding of John Cathcart and Anne Bowles 7.9.1848 address 42 Dominick street on church records

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rathmore.  In previous Rootschat searches I was guided to that site but unfortunately have been hitting brick walls since, especially on the 3 Williams.  I enclose a pic of the marriage certificate which has a Squiggle before Dominick Street, is it Upper or Lower. John Cathcart was a House Servant aged 20 in 1848 so was he resident in his Lord & Master's house?  Why is Anne Bowles listed as also resident there?  Was it her father's house?
Later he was in Preston, Kendal, Alloa and Lancaster and always a Servant of some kind + horseman, coachman, ostler.  Did he follow his Master to these locations? 
I have suspicions of connections to the Army, Brewing & Distilling and the Wesleyan Methodists.
Sabbeth seems to be a contraction of Elizabeth and not the biblical Sabbath.  Although there were Needhams in Ireland there were also Needhams from Bolton-le-Sands in Lancashire, the place where Jane Dickinson came from, John's 2nd wife after the demise of Ann Bowles.
On the certificate William Cathcart is a Slater, yet subsequent mentions have him as a Gardener or Farmer.  The 1858 marriage of Catherine Maria Bowles to Robert Wilson, a Butler, and son of John Wilson, a farmer, and William Bowles is no longer a Steward but a Mercantile Clerk. (if he is the same William as Anne's father, as seems likely).
Are there property owner occupier records for Dublin covering this period, ie Dominick Street and Merrion Street?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline rodgepodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
'Are there property owner occupier records for Dublin '

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Ian Nelson

For the period you are interested in you could try the Registry of Deeds ,Henrietta St. Dublin. Its function was for the public registration of documents dealing with land but unfortunately registration was not compulsary
Further , look at the Sales Books etc.of the Landed Estates Court in the National Archives in Dublin and a visit to the Valuation Office in Ely Place Dublin might help.
A perusal of The Irish Times newspaper has thrown up the following:  Edition of 10th June 1872  Page
7 Advert.  Landed Estates Court   16 Upper Fitzwilliam Street   Rainsfords Marriage Settlement   Term of 112 years from 25th March 1829
For 42 Lower Dominick Street  Page 8 Advert shows the property was held under fee farm grant..Although outside your time period have a look to see is there anything of interest that I failed to record.
As a reward may I stroke your cat. A super one at that

Felixquaxer

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks rodge-podge and felix, I'll follow up on your leads.  I wouldn't recommend stroking Casper Anderson, you have a 1 in 20 chance of being scratched, 1 in 40 of being bitten.  I'm a mass of healed scratches, he climbs up me as if I'm a tree, but sometimes leaps.  His original owner, my then next door neighbour, Gary Anderson, teased him terribly when a kitten, then he and his wife had a baby and flitted to another town and his wife feared for the baby's skin so I acquired him.  So you might say he is a rescue cat, except it's me that needs rescue-ing from him. regards, Ian

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
But still loved.

Felixquaxer