Author Topic: Murphy family - Lanarkshire area - c.1870  (Read 1411 times)

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy family - Lanarkshire area - c.1870
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 20 03:37 BST (UK) »
One of the problems I'm having is that I'm great with Ancestry research (although, as you noted, they are not proper records), but I only have credits for Scotland's people and they don't allow you a preview before purchasing.  ::)

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 20 04:06 BST (UK) »
No way to tell if that death of Elizabeth Murphy is mine. I'm still trying to find the doc for Joseph Murphy's death in 1876. I see one for Dennistoun, but I don't think he was there? It would also be off by 4 or so years. Are you looking at another record? Also, a question - if Joseph the younger married Helen Corning (as indicated on teh 1881 census since he had the status of son-in-law, where is his marriage record? Again, not able to locate that.

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 August 20 04:43 BST (UK) »
Found marriage record of Joseph the younger and "Ellen" Cornin. Surprised to see that kind of mistake on marriage record. But that is DEFINITELY my Joseph. If you hadn't of pointed out the Ellen/Helen distinction, I never would have found that. Cheers! Still cannot locate Joseph the Elder's death in Glasgow.

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 August 20 05:50 BST (UK) »
Here's an extra puzzle - so...I located Joseph children and in the 1901 census, they are living with their grandparents Cornin! Both parents are missing - thoughts???

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 August 20 06:11 BST (UK) »
In fact, just found another 1901 census with the MIA parents (Joseph and Ellen). They, and three other children since last census was taken, and are living at different address. I've not seen anything like this before - I've got to stop for the evening! Would love to hear your thought so that one...wow.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 August 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
No way to tell if that death of Elizabeth Murphy is mine. I'm still trying to find the doc for Joseph Murphy's death in 1876. I see one for Dennistoun, but I don't think he was there? It would also be off by 4 or so years. Are you looking at another record? Also, a question - if Joseph the younger married Helen Corning (as indicated on teh 1881 census since he had the status of son-in-law, where is his marriage record? Again, not able to locate that.
Dennistoun is one of the registration districts in Glasgow. And age is a very moveable feast in the mid-19th century. I am willing to bet that that 1876 death is your Joseph.

I did say Cornin, not Corning :) And Helen/Ellen's name is not a 'mistake'. The names Ellen and Helen are totally interchangeable, so if you are ever having trouble finding a Helen, try Ellen and vice versa.* And you can search for a marriage using just surnames if one of them is an uncommon name, or just using the name of one of the couple. A search for Joseph Murphy would have found it.

As for the death of Elizabeth McAulay or Murphy, deaths of married women in Scotland are indexed by both their maiden and their married name, and she is the only Eli*abeth with both surnames so she must be worth a look, surely? As for having to pay, at £1.50 per view/download, you could view two or three certificates for the price of a pint of beer (depending where you would drink it). That is significantly cheaper than in most other countries. England and Wales charge £7, and some parts of Australia charge around AUS$40.

Children staying with grandparents on the day of the census? Not unusual. Could just be having a wee holiday and might be back with parents the next day. Or if the youngest child was a very new baby, the older ones might have been sent to the grandparents to be out of the way when it was being born. Or maybe one of the younger ones was ill and the grandparents took the older ones to lighten their mother's task.

As for the difference between Scotland's People and Ancestry and similar commercial web sites, see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

* There are other pairs of names that are used interchangeably - Janet/Jessie, Jane/Jean, Donald/Daniel, Peter/Patrick among others. See http://whatsinaname.net/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
Out of interest could Theodore Bloch have been part of the prominent Jewish society in Glasgow.

I have relatives connected to a BLOCH  family that came over from Russian Latvia(census give various origins ,)Anglisised names

likely that his Micheal could originally have been Mordechai or Morris
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Fofarian, trust me, I dropped many pounds yesterday on this and thank to your helpfulness, i was, indeed, to make excellent headway on that branch. I am in total agreement with you regarding Elizabeth, and that if is has both surnames, it would definitely be her. I just couldn't FIND that particular record, and the one I did find did not have both names. With respect to Joseph's death, I was not able to find a record of his death. But to say that I wasn't beyond thrilled with what I did discover (and verify), would be a lie. So those two pieces I still need to figure out. Catherine and Joseph's brother James, is the next one one, but he appears to be more of an elusive bloke. Why not.   :)

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
Brigidmac - funny you should say that. REALLY funny. That is how this initial search began, with my GGF. Problem is, there is no record of his parents, his emigration from Germany, and his mother's name which appears on the marriage record in Scotland's People is hard to decipher. Fortunately, I am able t read some German, so have been able to peruse those records, but many were destroyed during the war. Lots of luck on my side - all records prior to 1800 in Northern Ireland, gone. A huge chunk of records in Germany, gone. What I DO know, is that his mother's last name ended in-ski (possibly -sky). That would make eastern Europe very like, and thus, a possible Jewish connection, But, why would he have left his country, leaving family behind? And would a German speaking, Jew, marry a Catholic Scot? Yet, they were the only couple to have wed in a Protestant Church. I know that a  Jew would have anglicized his name (I do know that is was -ch, and later, changed to -ck by some in the family once they got to  the States), but there was no Jewish mention, save for one relative. I wish I knew the real story.

His father's name was Michael, as you know. And with German names - Jewish or not - the name used for daily life, was often not their given birth name. So, Michael, might actually have been Johann Michel Friedrich, etc.. His mum's name "looks" like it's "Rosalgo." Of course, I'm thinking it has to be some form of Rosaline. But a hard -go? It's just puzzling. Again, without the exact city, German research is very tough. But if your Blochs are somehow tied in, that would be unbelievable.