Author Topic: Grandfield's of Somerset question  (Read 521 times)

Offline barbdwnundr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfield's of Somerset question
« on: Tuesday 25 August 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have been recently researching my Grandfield ancestors from Somerset. My direct line was James Grandfield 1787-1870, a thatcher by trade from Holford, Somerset who married Mary Marquis 1787-1860. My direct line is from their son Hugh Grandfield born in Bicknoller, who became a cheese dealer. His sibling was called Ann born 1818. There is a baptism record of Ann Granfield born to James and Mary Grandfield in Bicknoller.  Following many other family trees I had her married to Stephen Hockey from Glastonbury with the family emigrating to New Zealand in 1857. It was only when I looked closer at their marriage banns did I see that it said her father was Henry, a trunk maker. The only Henry Grandfield I could find who was a trunk maker from Glastonbury is in an 1841 census. He was married to Elizabeth Grandfield with three children. Ann was not shown on this census. I can find no other evidence of who this Henry Grandfield was or his daughter Ann from Glastonbury. It doesn't tie in with my relations on my tree at all. However, even more confusing is that I have a DNA match to someone in NZ who is a descendant of Stephen Hockey/Ann Grandfield who emigrated there.
Has anyone any ideas as I am totally confused?
Thanks so much for any help.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfield's of Somerset question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Transcript for the Stephen Hockey marriage names father as George Granfield occ Trunk Maker  :-\

Census has that Ann as born Westbury, Somerset
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
There is a GEORGE/MARY Grandfield Bapt children Holford in the right time frame on FreeREG but he is a Weaver;
Sarah 05 Nov 1818
Peter 17 Sep 1820
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
The M/C is on a Tree, Father George, Trunk Maker ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
The 1841 has this family at Benedict Street, Glastonbury which agrees with the address on Anns marriage to Stephen
George   Grandfild   50   occ Trunk Maker
Elizabeth   Grandfild   55   
Thomas   Grandfild   20   
Sarah   Grandfild   15   
Charles   Grandfild   15   
Elizabeth   Grandfild   13   
All born Somerset

I see this agrees with your post about 1841 except he is George not Henry

Offline barbdwnundr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Sorry my mistake with the name. I had George written down so no idea why I said Henry. So it appears that Ann who married Stephen Hockey came from this family from Benedict St. Thank you Rosie. I wonder if George Grandfield from Glastonbury was any relation to my Grandfields of Bicknoller/ Holford. Also I wonder what happened to the other Ann Grandfield born to James and Mary? My DNA match to the Hockey family or George Grandfield's daughter Ann is still a mystery :-)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the other person whose DNA you match has got their tree wrong and it is throwing up the wrong results  :-\.  Other than that you may need to go back a few more generations.  Sorry I don't have any idea about DNA results