Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 25th August  (Read 1005 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 25th August
« on: Tuesday 25 August 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
No  diarists today?

4 months today Christmas day, anyone got their cards already?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 25th
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'll join in Louisa Maud.  No, I haven't got Christmas cards yet.  I like to keep Christmas to Christmas. :)

This morning it was lashing down with rain when I left work.  I had to call at the metro station en route home to renew my travel pass for the month.  Yesterday, I had asked at the Haymarket metro station when the travel office might open again.  I was told possibly October but they added that I should not bank on this.
I fell asleep straightaway after breakfast.  I have a later start nightshift tonight so haven't had to dash off after tea.
It is quite dark now and it seems much later than it is.  When I left the house I noticed that although the weather is dark and dismal there is warmth in the air and a stillness.  The branches of the trees in my street were lying still; there is hardly a breath of wind. 
The bus I am travelling on is quite busy for this time of night. Strangely, there are several people not wearing face coverings, even though for most people this is not meant to be allowed.  Looking around I suspect these people do not fit any exemption criteria either.  Have the rules changed since this morning, I wonder.  I doubt it somehow. Perhaps the driver is more lax than others in what he will permit.
Now a disabled man on the bus who is wearing a mask is asking his carer? why these other people are not wearing masks.  She is trying to explain to him about exemptions.  I wonder if he suspects as I do that these people are not exempt. 
Added .. I have now reached Newcastle and am now at the bus station.  It is quite cold here and there is a cold wind blowing.  I am glad to have a warm coat on.  It is quite noisy with the sound of people talking to one another in the background.
That 'carer' on the earlier bus ended up sounding quite embarrassed by the disabled man's questions.  She ended up telling him to drop the subject.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
I think this face mask lark has to be on trust, who knows who is exempt, pity they can't wear  some sort of a badge, I  certainly would to save any confrontation, but having said that some might be slightly embarrassed at having  to let all and sundary know they have a problem, difficult subject to be honest, I detest wearing one but I do

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 22:17 BST (UK) »
I ignore Christmas for as long as possible but I do paint my own Christmas card and send it off for printing. Last year I didn't get anything dome in time so no-one got my originals.

RTL, is it not possible to renew your travel pass online? The wearing of face masks seems to have become a bit of a farce from what I've been reading.  I'm not in favour of people being marked out by badges but I do think that when the government made it compulsory on public transport they should have issued people who are exempt with a discreet pass that they could show to the driver when they pay or show their travel card.

Diary:

Woke up late again, not really surprising as I was reading in bed till late last night, and on Rootschat too. It was raining and grey, I didn't do much apart from more reading (it's a good book). Got up eventually but still couldn't be bothered doing much. Put the ingredients for spag bol in the slow cooker and left it to get on with the cooking.

Wasn't hungry so when the weather finally dried up I went for a walk on the soggy field and in the woods, there was only one other person on the field but a few more emerged later. It was quite warm and pleasant.

More reading after lunch then did some artwork, an acrylic pour with silicone. The result was quite nice but I think I didn't use enough silicone to get the desired effect, will have another go. The mixing of the paint takes much longer than the pouring.

My friend J and I were waiting to see what the weather was like about 5 pm so we could decide whether to go for our walk, there were some really heavy showers during the afternoon. It was raining lightly but we decided to go anyway. Got wet but not soaking, we weren't bothered, just enjoyed getting out.

It's been rather a lazy day for me apart from the walking.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Well I am ahead of myself, in as much as I buy my Christmas cards from
Charities, often when they sell them off early in the new year ,.for the next Christmas.
I send so many and with the postage so expensive now I would have to reduce the number I send otherwise.
Usually got  some stamps week to week when I shopped in “ normal “ times.
I usually buy from the five charities I already donate to.

Such bad weather today ,rain and wind.
The books I ordered from Postscript were delivered.Such prompt service.
Phoned  the little  girl’s Mum, to see would she rather wait to get the books I had got ,. But she said she would pick them up and wait a few days to give them.
Got some for Flash Harry too,The big bad wolf who doesn’t like huffing and puffing and blowing houses down!” Mr. wolf’s Secret.”
Instead he likes baking,and the simple recipes are there .
Two more , Mr. Wolf and The Three Bears
                  Mr. Wolf and the Enormous Turnip.
All this wolf stuff started when I gave Flash Harry a big dark grey and silvery
fur trim from a hooded jacket!
He tucks it in the waist of his pants like a huge tail.
Ever seen a wolf on a mini motor bike?,Going a mad four miles an hour.?
He probably is not allowed to do that ,would get caught up I suppose.
Gosh I do want to see him.

No plans for tomorrow, really, weather not good again so indoor work.
Shocking footage of another shooting in America.
The NewsReader made no bones about his opinion on that.

No news really folks so it is nice to read yours .
Take care everyone .
Sleep well .
Viktoria

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Tuesday 25th August
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hope you don't mind LM I've put the day and the month into the subject lest we forget!

It's hard to think Christmas is only 4 months away.... I always make all my own cards so will have to start thinking about it by the end of September.... got a lot of birthdays in Sept and Oct, some special ones that will require special cards... after thinking special thoughts...like Roobarb I try to ignore it until nearer the time and I'm relieved not to be in too many shops as seeing Christmas goods in August drives me crazy.....

RTL - it must be difficult not to wonder why some people aren't wearing face coverings but it is a real dilemma... my feeling is those that truely need to be exempt should carry something, I did think a card on a lanyard but of course that would draw attention to the fact and could cause embarrassment or unease so not really sure what the answer is! I don't envy you in this weather having to catch two buses every time  to get to work... id be exhausted before I'd started.

Roobarb - glad you got to see your friend J for a walk even if you got a little wet and doing more artwork..

My day

I had a very bad nights sleep, reading late, and on RC... the wind was howling round and it poured with rain... as I was reading I felt this tickle on the pillow and it was a small spider that I flicked off and no idea where it went... blessed thing.... sorry Roobarb I know you're not a fan... finally I drifted off then it was time to get up it seemed almost straight away...
breakfast then got ready for weekly coffee with neighbours... still pouring with rain but she's only just up the lane behind us . We sat inside the four of us well spaced out fortunately. H whose house we were at today is a very large bungalow with large rooms. We sat and chatted and by 1pm thought it was time to leave!
After lunch I got on with some cooking ready for our picnic tomorrow as we're meeting friends at NT place near Banbury...
OH decided to move my car further over on the drive as next doors walnut tree is looking decidedly dodgy in all this wind and don't want any branches crashing down on it...
daughter has a cookery book for midlife recipes ( not sure how they could be different but still) she had brought up some delicious carrot cake buns and had sent me the recipe ...
Basic ingredient is LSA... linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds with their skin on... 3-2-1 ratio and blitz in a coffee grinder or just a grinder to almost a fine flour... supposed to help immune system, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins... use this concoction or jumbo oats I used 75% LSA and oats, wholemeal flour, cinnamon, maple syrup, egg, melted butter, walnuts and grated carrots, vanilla essence mix whole lot together chill for 30 mins spoonfuls on baking sheet in oven for 15 mins... once cool, mix cream cheese with lemon juice and maple syrup drizzle over and pop pecan nut on top.... the taste wonderful... I know my friend will like them too ... then made chocolate and orange loaf drizzle over juice mixed with little icing sugar...
Finally a whole pan full of spaghetti sauce...
Wind still blowing like heck but rain had stopped by lunchtime and not cold..
we had a cuppa... O.H been hard at work on latest jigsaw...
We had a game of scrabble as last game he was one ahead... I had rubbish letters awful scores and at one point he was 50 ahead of me... how soon the tables turned and I beat him by 3 points..... he wasn't too happy so now we're even!
By this time it was 7pm so just put on spaghetti and had dinner..
Phoned friends who were meeting tomorrow having looked at NT web site and discovered where we're meeting was closed today because of the winds... as can't go into house it's garden only so will have to check in the am if they're going to be open... hope so be nice to see them...
Rubbish tv... too tired to watch much except another episode of Equator... wonderful photography but what do they need loud music through entire programme for.... .. very distracting and very annoying...
Bed for an early night as tired...
the wind is really strong so wouldn't be surprised to see any of next doors trees down as he's got quite a few dead ones that are strangled with ivy...
That's it for today... not very eventful really..

Caroline

Added..

Viktoria- the children's  books you got sound lovely... I'd not heard of Postscript before so thanks for mentioning it.. I used to use The Book People who were very good sadly no longer around..
I bought a series of books for my two grandsons  The Treehouse story books by Andy Griffiths they go from 13 - story treehouse, 26 - story treehouse etc, im sure your FH would love them... can't see them on this website but available elsewhere...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 23:57 BST (UK) »
With yellow weather warning of wind for today and tomorrow wasn't sure what I'd awake to.   Supposed to have had heavy rain all night but we clearly only had a little.   Quite breezy when I went out at lunchtime to get some french sticks and coleslaw to take to my nieces 'reveal' party tonight.  Wind getting stronger.   Occasional showers but forecast was for it to be dry from late afternoon.   You've no doubt guessed that they were wrong!  They can't seem to get it right when it comes to sunshine and rain but always spot on when it comes to the wind.   Frequent showers ensued with wind gusts in 40's.   Started off under a gazebo in the garden - luckily for us a strong one.   After eating we then had the big reveal after we'd all had to guess what sex we thought the babies were.   The majority opting for one of each (as did I) - however, my niece and her husband are actually having twin girls in January!  Best be getting my knitting needles out soon. 

My other excitement of the day was..........I found my scissors.   Had to iron the trousers I wanted to wear tonight and the iron is kept in a cupboard in my kitchen.   Whilst getting it out I disturbed some plastic bags, two fell down to the floor and when I picked them up out fell the scissors.   I'd clearly used them when opening some clothes I'd ordered online and when I'd gathered the bags to put in the cupboard had picked up the scissors too.

Buffet style food at my nieces (instead of the planned BBQ) and I chose Chilli and salad, followed by white chocolate cheesecake and a glass of Cava to toast the babies.   Hadn't had to drive as picked up by my brother in law - started raining the moment I locked my door so had to dash to the car.   As we were approaching my nieces house there was a beautiful rainbow.   Blowing a right hooley when we drove home.   Supposed to get stronger during the night.  What joy!

Around 9.30 when I got in - made a coffee and have been on PC since then.  Think I might have an earlier night than usual as feeling pretty tired.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 01:28 BST (UK) »
Caroline ,
www.psbooks.co,U.K.
01625 897100
email: orders[AT]psbooks.co.uk

I get some really good bargains,can buy three good books for the usual price of one.
My sister loves historical biographies ,I got one ,Henry VIII, normally £25 ,but
from Postscript £ 9 99.
She will like itI know.
The children’s books were £ 4-99 for the two Wolf books ,normally that each.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 05:15 BST (UK) »

My other excitement of the day was..........I found my scissors.   Had to iron the trousers I wanted to wear tonight and the iron is kept in a cupboard in my kitchen.   Whilst getting it out I disturbed some plastic bags, two fell down to the floor and when I picked them up out fell the scissors.   I'd clearly used them when opening some clothes I'd ordered online and when I'd gathered the bags to put in the cupboard had picked up the scissors too.

Annette

;D There is always a logical series of events for the disappearance once the item is found! I’m pleased for you.