Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 25th August  (Read 1014 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 25th
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Glad you found your scissors, reminded me  of a vicar who had lost his car log book, he hunted high and low and as he was due to sell his car he had to purchase a new log book, £25, low and behold a few weeks later his friend found it, it was in the bottom off a filing cabinet, it has slunk down and was flat on the bottom,  I did tell him to look there but he as happy he had sold his car, I even reminded him of St Anthony the patron saint of finding things !!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 08:01 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - thank you very much for the details to Postscript... they seem very good value. I really miss The Book People as they were excellent for bulk buying at reasonable prices.

Annette - so glad you found your scissors, it's always stressful when you lose something you really love. Scissors are very particular and personal items too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I ought to rephrase my remark about masks, perhaps not a badge but something to tell anyone who stops them why they are not wearing a mask

Have a good day folks

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
This I pad is going mad!
It will be me.
Says I have 13 PMs when there are many more ,never changes .
Son comesFriday ,will  look at it I hope .
Seems funny since Grandson put face time in or something ,he did it in the street ,whilst on the other side of the fence, as if I want anyone  to see me like this,!
Overgrown flat hair ,dry skin from being in so much ,etc etc.
Glad about the scissors, mine are good ones but they are adjustable for thicker material, you put another ring/ washer in .
They are good but I must have forgotten the correct sequence of washers,split rings etc as they fall apart regularly.
I have three sets of pinking shears ,one set are kept for material only,the others I used for craft etc.
The grandchildren picked and pressed big Ivy leaves one year and we used them as gift tags ,a silver felt tip for the writing.
The presents were wrapped in nice Kraft paper,tied with green garden twine.
They looked surprisingly good.
We did them in the half term break October, in an old telephone directory.
So a good few weeks to dry out.
Ivy is poisonous ,I think, so hand washing after.
Gosh, I wonder what it Christmas will be like if the present conditions are still in place.No pun intended!
Well ,must get on —— but with what I know not!
Cheerio.Viktoria

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Re face covering exemption - the government have made a badge available in various formats which you can print out:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Other badges are available, for example from Hidden Disabilities (who also offer other items):

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/hidden-disabilities-face-covering.html

(I thought I heard that some train/bus companies were producing their own versions too, but I haven't looked into this.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Tuesday 25th August
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
Caroline - hope the walnut tree has stayed put and not caused any damage. You've been very industrious in the kitchen, hope you've been able to sit out in the location you were aiming for and enjoy the results of your labours.

Annette, glad you've managed to find the scissors, always ends up being an obscure place when things go missing. Two baby girls to look forward to, hope you've got plenty of wool sorted.

Viktoria - have you tried that really technical trick with the iPad as recommended by I.T. experts everywhere? Turn it off and back on again?  :) Certainly worth a try if you haven't done so. I often think back to when all the technology was just developing, I'd ring the IT section at work because my computer wasn't working and they'd ask if I'd rebooted it. Eh?  ??? Turn it off and back on again. Why didn't they just say that in the first place instead of blinding me with science.  ;D

Arthurk, I see that as well as the badge option there is an option for a mobile phone which might prove more popular and for a card to print too. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on who can print or show any of these so obviously no need to prove that you qualify.
The only times I've had to wear a face covering have been for a very short time, I'm not sure how I'd get on for a lengthy period of time. As an asthmatic I'm not obliged to wear one but would certainly try. I cough more than most people, that coupled with no mask would be enough to get people running for the hills!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
Well a sad post from me today, I have often mentioned the fact that Imwss an evacuee ,and how kind were the family with whom I spent the greater part of that time .Only the daughter left now ,92, she was like a big sister and a mother  too.
I never lost touch with them.
Took my fiancé to meet them ,and they liked him immediately.
We made many impromptu visits when we would just drive down for the day.
I am on record in a book written about the area ,how very happy was my childhood, in no small way due to the kindness of those people.
Well the dreaded phone call came today, I have been uneasy, with visits and travel not possible,hoping nothing happened and I could see her again.
She has fallen and broken her pelvis ,with Asthma and other conditions her son who is her carer,has been advised that in all probability she would not withstand an operation.
At the moment seems to be in an induced coma ,but was unconscious when found on the hard kitchen floor , her daughter is. Health Visitor and  is travelling from Yorkshire to discuss at a more professional level the possibilities open to the Drs.

I knew it would happen ,we kept in touch by phone and I was thinking I must phone her.
I don’t think,even being so close I can intrude any more at the moment .
I will be so sorry  if I don’t see her again ,but the family   will keep me posted.
I have no optimism about this.
But memories are good and in no small way she contributed to me being
probably the happiest evacuee ever.
Hope you are all alright , sorry to be down but no one to really share this with.
But far from home ,apart from my sister and not seeing parents very often
I was so lucky to be with good kind people and that sort of thing lasts you your whole life through .
Viktoria

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 August 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Oh Viktoria, I am so sorry to hear about your friend, don't dwell to much on the ifs and buts as to why you didn't phone her, it happens to us all, just remember the fantastic memories you have had together, no on can take those memories away from you, no doubt you had lots of laughs, try to remember some of those

Thinking of you

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 August 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Viktoria- my heart goes out to you at this moment. Don't reproach yourself that you hadn't got in touch... it happens to us all at times, as LM says remember the good times you shared and know perhaps that the kindness you were shown by her and the family during such a difficult time in any young life they helped to form the person you are today..
You are a bright, cheerful and well balanced lady and anyone of us could aspire to be like you.
We will allbe here to listen and help you through a testing time.
Take care of yourself and know you have friends who are thinking of you too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK