Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 26th August  (Read 496 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 26th August
« on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
Not a lot to report today.

Have had difficulty waking up on these grey and wet mornings. Finished the book I've been reading, only started it a few days ago, was certainly a page turner.

The rain had stopped but I didn't go for my walk till lunchtime. Nothing unusual. My friend A is moving house tomorrow, she didn't get confirmation till today, talk about stressful.

Had lunch, had another go at the painting I was doing yesterday, better result today. My art teacher sent an email to all her students , she's hoping to be able to start classes in person mid September, it depends on whether approval is given for the building to reopen. I think she may have to arrange more classes with fewer people in each because of the space.  She had been hoping to do that in the new term so that it would allow her to devote more time to each student, it would now serve both purposes . We shall have to wait and see.

Spent a while on Rootschat, did some ironing and general chores. The garden was wet, couldn't be bothered to do anything. Phoned my friend L for a chat. Salmon for tea, some TV then that's it, just another day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Wednesday 26th August
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I'll make it before Roobarb tonight!

Having had a good nights sleep despite the wind howling round the house, it felt somewhat comforting to be tucked up in the warm...my phone woke me at 7.55 am... message from our friends we're due to meet up with today... the weather was dry and blueish skies ... which sounded better than the skies outside my windows!
We decided to look at the website before leaving as yesterday the place was closed because of the wind.... all seemed fine...
Picnic lunch made, breakfast eaten, shower taken... what to wear... didn't think it would be warm enough for a summer dress so opted for lightweight trousers and a linen top, cardi, thicker top and a padded gilet.... I didn't wear these all at once obviously or I might have expired but thought it covered all bases... I popped a pair of shorts in the car just for good measure.... roll of the eyes from OH ... did I want my thermal vest too, padded coat, gloves, hat and scarf.... so I tossed my head put my nose in the air and didn't give him an answer !!!!
The roads seemed quite quiet not too many lorries and weather improving all the time.... perhaps I should have worn a dress 👗 As you can tell I'm a woman of decision...
We were held up round Banbury and sent message to our friends just to let them know we'd be about 15 mins behind schedule...
The NT staff at Upton House were so lovely... never mind we're a bit late, better late than early apparently!
Explanation about hand sanitising on the way in, house closed.... one way route round the gardens , toilets open one in one out, lots soap in the dispensers, water hot and paper towels... cafe open collect drinks from outside hatch, tables spaced out... one chap got a ticking off for taking more chairs to put round the table only allowed 4 to sit otherwise social distancing no adhered to. Well organised..
It was so lovely to meet our friends they were last people we gave a hug to in March when we met for lunch!....
we enjoyed our walk round.... been several times before, shame the gardens didn't look at their usual best but don't suppose they'd had the volunteers to do the work..
Sat and enjoyed our picnic... lots of chatter...
We picked lots of cob nuts and our rucksacks instead of feeling lighter after eating our lunch we're in fact heavier!
Left late afternoon with plans to meet up again... or go and stay with them as now they've closed their Montessori nursery down that part of the house is being made into a self contained unit they hope to let out vis air bandb... we said go and give them our opinions! They should do well as they live in Cirencester so lots going on round that area...
Good drive home...
Picked some vegs... more courgettes... tomatoes now starting to come and more raspberries and runner beans...
Had salad with ham and chicken for dinner...
Watched tv... rubbish on so started watching first episodes of The Crown on Netflix's.... very good, O.H even enjoyed it and he's no royalist...
Lovely day and so to bed to read and RC...

Look forward to hearing what everyone else has been doing today...

Caroline   
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 26th August
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:34 BST (UK) »
Oh no!!!!!! Looks like we've done it again Roobarb... we're going to have to think of a better way of not posting at the same time!

Sorry your days been uneventful, but good news about your art classes hopefully starting up again in September...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 26th August
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Aarrgh  :o :o ;D Thought I was first tonight. Will ask the mods to do the honours again.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Wednesday 26th August
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
You spoke too soon Caroline!  ;D Have asked for threads to be merged. Again!

Sounds like you had a lovely day with your friends and decent weather too. I assume you didn't have to don any of the extra layers. Will be lovely if you're able to go and road test your friends' Airbnb for them.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Wednesday 26th August
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 20 00:13 BST (UK) »
Well done!

Yes, we had a good day and I did wear all items except the cardi to start with and gradually removed most of them!
Yes, hopefully we can road test it for them depending on how long it takes them to get it finished...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK