Author Topic: Advice wanted for Mary Dennis’ place of birth  (Read 2007 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted for Mary Dennis’ place of birth
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
I’d like to give a big thank you to you both, Colin and jimnix, I wouldn’t have broke through the brick wall without your efforts. Rootschat is such an amazing site  ;D

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted for Mary Dennis’ place of birth
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 December 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I picked this up a bit late, but I have done quite a lot of research on the Dennis families in Derbyshire & Leicestershire, and I think I can tidy up a bit.  We know that Mary Anne Dennis or Dennies was not with family for the 1841 census.  From that I infer that she moved, married or died.  The burial notably at Castle Gresley 6 Feb 1838 age 16 fits - if baptism 1 Apr 1821 would likely still be 16 going on 17.  The Entry of Death might reveal that the informant was related.

The family in 1841 that jimnix found is that of John and Ann Rushton.

Her father John Dennis (m. Ann Rushton) his grandfather (also John) was brother of Henry Dennis b. 1718.

Also, Mary Anne's father was in the censuses respectively 1841 labourer, 1851 Ag Lab, 1861 Ag Laborer.  I believe he died in 1864 at Barton under Needwood, where he had lived with oldest daughter Elizabeth.

To be honest, trying to find a specific Mary Dennis is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

My tree on Ancestry is BrownCarterDennisEvans.

Best wishes
Andy Dennis.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.