Author Topic: Hard to Read Irish Parish Marriage Record from 1876  (Read 722 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to Read Irish Parish Marriage Record from 1876
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Yes could be - I was thinking Dug...
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
Wow!!! Josey and Dublin1850 -  you've left me totally speechless!!  What incredible sleuthing. And so fast!  :) :)

You've just solved a long-standing puzzle around my father's family and here's why;

My paternal great grandparents were Terence Martin and Anne Lennon (but I can see how this looks like Leonard on this record.)

My great grandad Terence Martin was indeed from Doagh in Magheracloone Parish, Carrickmacross but I've never known whether my great grandmother Anne Lennon was from Comertagh or nearby Cornalaragh  ......... because two Anne Lennons were born within one month of each other in 1853 in each of these two townlands, and it's been a constant frustration over the past few years of research not being able to get to the root of it.

Also, the parents of the Anne Lennon who was born in Comertagh were Thomas Lennon and Sara Byrne, which seems to fit your findings too.

So I think I can safely say - thanks to you - I can confirm my family are the Comertagh Lennons and I now also know the names of my great-great Lennon grandparents (big bonus!) which means I can now research their roots too.  Incredible!

And, yes, the name Hugh runs regularly throughout all generations of my Martin family, so it's totally feasible that there was a Hugh Martin as a witness.

A massive breakthrough for my father's side of the family. 

A huge thank you to you both!!!

Regards
Runner55

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
I found Anne's baptism. She is Lennon, father Thomas and mother Sara Byrne.
'Kimmertagh'  townland. 5 May 1853. Can be seen on registers.nli.ie

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
To find them in the 1911 census you need to search for Toirdhealbhach Ó Maírtín (Terence Martin) as the Enumerator interestingly filled in almost all of Drumcarrow district in the old Irish script.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 August 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that additional information dublin1850. Really helpful.

May I just ask you, do you think on my posted document Terence's mother's surname could be read as Finnegan?

I've always thought she was Mary/Maura/Maria Finnegan, married to Patrick Martin, but have never been entirely sure.

Thanks
Runner55

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, it could easily be Finnegan.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 20 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hmm.  Thought it might be.